Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never been soo extremely fucking pissed off more in my life than today.

So I have been waiting all year to go to the F1 race at Indianapolis. Finally a great year as there is much competition mainly between Kimi Riakkonen (Mclaren) and Fernando Alonso (Renault) who are close in the point system. I was very excited to see a great battle this year between the drivers.

Basically all teams using Michelin tires did the formation lap then pulled into the pits....Ferrari, Minardi, Jordan who do not use Michelins pull to the line and the race starts. Mclaren, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Renault all pull into the pits, then are immediately pushed into the garage.

I have a great seat right across the pits, and I am completely confused as to what the hell is going on.

The remaining few cars take off and everyone is very confused and quiet as no one has a clue of what is going on. Ferrari comes around for the first lap, as it seems as though the race started. Immediately everyone starts booing and yelling. I am just shocked at this moment, as I don’t believe what I am seeing. People began to throw shit onto the track, as they are just as shocked and outraged as I am that they paid $85 to watch Ferrari basically race against themselves as Jordan and Minardi are no competition.

I watched 2 laps of the race then left and went home. They said that would refund our money for the tickets….but this is not to important to me right now as I had only one chance to see F1 this year and that was completely ruined by FIA regulations.

I drove from Columbus, Ohio. So it was a 3-hour trip for me. I can’t imagine all the other people that had probably traveled across the country or from other countries to see the only race in America. I went there with my parents and my brother. My dad and I love F1, and the only chance we have to see F1 is at Indianapolis. I am very angry, as this is probably the last race my dad will ever see of F1, and it was just so enjoyable to go to before.

#story#
Ralph Shumacher who drives for Toyota had crashed in practice on Friday around the bank turn basically because his Michelin tires could not take the beating of the banks of the course at high speeds over time. Over the weekend Michelin sent the teams new tires that could handle the track before the race today, however FIA rules would not allow them to use the new tires, since they had already gone through practice and qualifying on the same tires.

FIA rules state that no team can change tires and must use the same set of tires for practice, qualifying and race. With nothing for any of the teams to do, they quit and pulled into the garage, as they do not want to deal with any crashes caused by the Michelin tire malfunction. This is a new rule to F1 this year as another attempt to keep the cars slower and has brought nothing good to F1, especially now that this goes down as the worst race in F1.

:finger

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
ESPN Story

That has to be the dumbest rule out there. Why change it after all these years?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O yah, it's also looking like I will not be getting back my $85 for the ticket. Awesome, count me out from ever going to an F1 race again(not for a looong time). That place is gonna be a ghost town next year, that is if they even plan on coming back to Indianapolis.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
A whole bunch of people F'ed up to cause this. FIA & F1 for the stupid tire rule and Michelin for not supplying a tire competitive to Bridgestone and everyone for not finding a compromise. Although, I am glad that Michelin and the teams owned up to the situation to say "It's not safe and we won't race."

Still, I wondered how long it would take for this all to come down and hopefully they will change that unsafe rule back to the way it was. I seriously hope that a racer doesn't have to get hurt or killed before they change it.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
F-1 never stood a chance of making it here. Too many redneks and cart drivers. F-1 is the euro version of our cart and indy cars. They race at exotic locals amongst the jet set. We race in the slums and ghettos. F-1 is simply put not for America.

But again no loss when a ******* in a Le Saber can attain a higher speed on a 4 mile superspeedway than a F-1 car can :eek:nfloor (reference to a video from 10 - 15 years back when they ran Darrel Waltrip in his Chevy powered NASCAR Winston Cup Car against the F-1 car of Jacky Icyx on one of the monster speedways and to nearly everyones suprise the "Good Ol Boys" frpm NASCAR car was able to keep raising the geering and going faster and faster where the F-1 car hit a wall and just could not get whatever it was lacking to get the speeds Waltrip was getting...It was a Wide World of Sports Special a long time ago....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow...F1 isn't about top speed by the way just so you realize that. F1 cars have 10x times the acceleration of a Nascar and area geared lower because they actually do more than left turns around ovals, yah they are not made for oval racing. Nascar have a higher top speed, but thats because they are geared higher that way to just run top speed the whole race, because all they do is run circles...which seems more appealing only in America. If thats your reasoning why Nascar is better just becuase they have a higher top speed and make left turns all day, compared to heaving breaking around right and left turns(not just 4 of em) and then back up to 190mph for a straight away. Then F1 never was for you, and you don't understand it at all, and I see why so many people enjoy Nascar. I don't know what your really trying to accomplish by that post.

F1 car = $14mil each, Nascar = 150K theres a reason for this. :eek:nfloor

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
being so close to Indy, i've been to that race a couple of times. It's a pretty good race, rivals the 500 as far as I'm concerned. I hope this doesn't jeopardize F1's future in America, and it shouldn't...this was the fault of a tire manufacturer and the FIA. If they knew this was going to be a problem they should've postponed the race or made fans more aware. it seems like such a last minute decision.

why aren't you getting your $85 back?

comparing Nascar to F1 is rediculous. they're completely different styles of racing and machine.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i don't think the FIA is to blame for this race...i think the tire rule sux ass and i miss seeing the pit lane battles (tirechanges full fuel in 7 sec) i think it would have been wrong for them to put in the chicane that michelin wanted to slow the cars down so that the michelin tires would have been deemed safe.....that would only be punishing bridgestone for being race ready when michelin wasn't....
who'se at fault here - MICHELIN

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yah, Michelin is at fault here. They knew about the banks of Indianapolis and were not prepared for it. They did however send new tires for the drivers on Sunday when they needed them, but the new rules of FIA would not allow them to use it. No one wants to take the blame for this, and who hurts the most...the fans that paid $85 for a good race, and probably will not get refunds, and never come back to Indianapolis. :(

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just found this out on thier website..

When the thousands of very angry fans were leaving the track banging on the ticket office which was closed right after the race started, which never happens because they offer people to renew tickets for next year. People start banging on the door and demanding their money back. Well now I just looked at their website and the only thing they offer us is to express our feelings to FIA, or Michelin. Theres little hope, I think Indianapolis is going to sue F1 or something big.
It sucks to see that this might be the end of F1 in America, maybe even worse in the next coming months. :popcorn

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
I hope this doesn't jeopardize F1's future in America,
I think it will. After reading Coultard's interview post-race, it sounds like everyone would be scared/embarassed/ashamed to come back to Indy.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I put New tires on my bike today...I had ordered a new set of pilots. At 8:30 this morning, I called and changed the order...I can live without Michelin tires...I bet the suits at Michelin, a FRENCH company were very proud of themselves this morning, the way they got to F*uck the Americans at the Home of the world's biggest race. I can do without Michelin tires and they can do without my money. Maybe if enough people follow, Michelin will feel it in their pockets...the only thing they seem to understand or care about...

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
bumblebee said:
I put New tires on my bike today...I had ordered a new set of pilots. At 8:30 this morning, I called and changed the order...I can live without Michelin tires...I bet the suits at Michelin, a FRENCH company were very proud of themselves this morning, the way they got to F*uck the Americans at the Home of the world's biggest race. I can do without Michelin tires and they can do without my money. Maybe if enough people follow, Michelin will feel it in their pockets...the only thing they seem to understand or care about...
sorry i for one will continue to run michelins on my bikes....

but i agree they fucked up at indy....

i am so glad i changed my mind and didn't come all the way form Phoenix for the race...

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
badgixxer said:
i don't think the FIA is to blame for this race...i think the tire rule sux ass and i miss seeing the pit lane battles (tirechanges full fuel in 7 sec) i think it would have been wrong for them to put in the chicane that michelin wanted to slow the cars down so that the michelin tires would have been deemed safe.....that would only be punishing bridgestone for being race ready when michelin wasn't....
who'se at fault here - MICHELIN
Sorry but I don't agree, I think the FIA are entirely at fault here. Bridgestone had a load of information about the track available to them (via Firestone) whereas Michelin had none.

When Michelin discovered that the tyres they'd flown over weren't safe for the Indy track (don't forget F1 races at no other track that is remotely like Indy) they put forward some solutions that would enable the Michelin shod cars to race, one was to bring in a different batch of tyres and the other was to build a chicane to slow the cars on the bend where the tyres were unable to cope with forces expected of them.

The FIA rejected all proposals which would have enabled the race to take place, basically because they're so far up their own arses as to their own importance and have lost touch with the fact that F1 is a spectator sport first and foremost. Buiding a chicane wouldn't have 'inconvenienced' the Bridgestone cars, how can it?, they're all racing the same circuit.

So the FIA had a number of chances to enable the race to go ahead with a full grid of cars, but they stuck their heads in the sand and the result was that most teams felt unable to race on safety grounds.

Yes Michelin messed up, but the FIA were given every opportunity to enable a proper race to go ahead, and they turned them all down. The FIA is to blame for this debacle, but as usual it's the paying public that suffers. Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
we'll just have to agree to disagree....
michelin didn't do their homework.....
so because michelin's weren't up to snuff you think the race course or the rules should be changed to accomadate them.... i don't think so... that's racing....
didn't michelin have tire data form the last 4 years they ran F1 at indy....

they should have cancelled the race all together IMO and rescheduled for the end of the season....

and i think the new rules this year suck ass...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
badgixxer said:
we'll just have to agree to disagree....
michelin didn't do their homework.....
so because michelin's weren't up to snuff you think the race course or the rules should be changed to accomadate them.... i don't think so... that's racing....
didn't michelin have tire data form the last 4 years they ran F1 at indy....

they should have cancelled the race all together IMO and rescheduled for the end of the season....

and i think the new rules this year suck ass...
Exactly, they act like they had never been to Indy before. They were very aware of the bank turn and never came around to the problem until it was too late, and could not change tires.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
AutoWeek had an intersting take on this www.autoweek.com There is a group within F1 that advocates all the cars using the same tires. One of the reasons that they weren't able to reach a compromise is because this incident would strengthen that argument.

This whole thing was totally political and -like usual- the little guy (who bought tickets) had to pay for it. I say screw F1.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
tmkreutzer said:
AutoWeek had an intersting take on this www.autoweek.com There is a group within F1 that advocates all the cars using the same tires. One of the reasons that they weren't able to reach a compromise is because this incident would strengthen that argument.

This whole thing was totally political and -like usual- the little guy (who bought tickets) had to pay for it. I say screw F1.
I know, I have been a very big fan of F1 for about 5 years. This incident just showed how little a lot of the drivers cared about coming to America. I was reading over all the drivers quotes about what happened Sunday. A lot of them felt that it was not a big deal, and that their safety came first, and that the fans should realize that if its not safe, they won't race(jenson Button,Honda)....What kind of bullshit excuse is that. I'm sorry, if it was so unsafe why was I never told in advance about this, so I never would of drove 300+miles round trip and wasted my day off, and including about $100+ for the whole day($85 ticket) to see Michael and Rubens basically practicing.

:finger Jenson Button

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
KoLRaNcH said:
I know, I have been a very big fan of F1 for about 5 years. This incident just showed how little a lot of the drivers cared about coming to America. I was reading over all the drivers quotes about what happened Sunday. A lot of them felt that it was not a big deal, and that their safety came first, and that the fans should realize that if its not safe, they won't race(jenson Button,Honda)....What kind of bullshit excuse is that. I'm sorry, if it was so unsafe why was I never told in advance about this, so I never would of drove 300+miles round trip and wasted my day off, and including about $100+ for the whole day($85 ticket) to see Michael and Rubens basically practicing.

:finger Jenson Button
I'm sorry but your post is utter bollocks, why are you giving the finger to Jensen Button ? ?

read my links above before, and read the thread for a bit of information before you go all arsey.

for your information the drivers wanted to race....read the links and find out some facts before you spout crap.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts