Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if I've blown my fork seals? There seems to be nothing on the forks itself but below the dust guard kist above the fender there's a layer of grime that's dark black. I can't afford to replace my fork seals right now and I don't want to ruin my new EBC HH pads with oil.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
How old is the bike?

They may be cracked from dryrot.

If they was blown,normaly you would have more fluid showing on the tube it self.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If there is a layer of black grime on your forks, you've got a blown fork seal. And it sounds like you need new fluid anyway.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
If your seals are blown, your forks will be quite mushy and have little to damping effect. If you go over a bump and it feels like they continue to bounce up and down, they are blown.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my seals replaced less than a thousand miles ago, but have had approx 5 slam downs from wheelies which I have decided to stop doing since it's not worth the risk of wrecking my bike, or myself. I am pretty sure it was just road grime since I hadn't had a chance to wash my bike since I took it on a dirt road to get to a race track and the dirt was dripping from everywhere.

Anyway they don't feel mushy or anything, I'm taking it easy from now on so I don't have to worry about them blowing for another 10,000 miles.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Meh2u said:
I had my seals replaced less than a thousand miles ago, but have had approx 5 slam downs from wheelies which I have decided to stop doing since it's not worth the risk of wrecking my bike, or myself. I am pretty sure it was just road grime since I hadn't had a chance to wash my bike since I took it on a dirt road to get to a race track and the dirt was dripping from everywhere.

Anyway they don't feel mushy or anything, I'm taking it easy from now on so I don't have to worry about them blowing for another 10,000 miles.
Clean up the grime and see if it returns. If it's fork oil that's leaking, the "grime" will be back within a few hundred miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts