Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on places to stay for the night. We're planning on going on the weekend of Sept 30. Just a one night stay, probably for 5-6 people.
Appreciate the help.....

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
You have the motel at the store at the cross roads of time. I stay in townsend most times. Little camp place there has some small cabins at good rates, 4 hotel rooms and some tent sites. The place is called LayzDayz and is just a few mins. from the Foothills Parkway

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info Officer737.
Btw, do you need reservations or is it usually just readily available?
Thanks again...

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
suwand28 said:
thanks for the info Officer737.
Btw, do you need reservations or is it usually just readily available?
Thanks again...

Anytime bro!

I always made reservations so I could get exactly what I wanted. If you get a small group together the cabins are pretty good. Something like $65 a night or so and has a queen bed, a futon sleeper with a top bunk too. Kitchnette and bathroom with a stand up shower and a grill outside with a front screened in porch. Split the cabin with some others and run you $20 or less a night and you are only about 20-25 mins from the Dragon and you can ride the Foothills Pkwy over (A good ride too!)

At the motel at the store you are right on the Dragon. The rooms seemed nice enough but they fill up FAST!

·
It's me
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ronrdrcr said:
I was looking at a few options a little while ago and found some nice cabins you could rent in the vicinity pretty cheap if you have enough people. Nice accomodations too

These are all just in Gatlinburg which isn't too far away:

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/Gatlinburg-Tennessee.html

Ron
Last year I stayed in Gatlinburg, it doesnt look that far but actually is. I think it took about an Hour to get there if you go threw townsend and hit the foothills, just because of traffic and mountain roads it takes a bit to get there. I suggest what officer said and stay in townsend or even closer. Gatlinburg is to far if your going down to ride the Dragon. Great if your going for family reasons alot to do there. Its just a bit to far for a dragon trip.

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys...
Definitely looking forward to this trip. It'll be my first run up there. Pitifull ain't it. Living in NC and all...
We sorta did a warm up ride to Shady Valley this weekend and I was impressed. I hear the Gap is 10x better...so I'm stoked....
Oh...and we wouldn't mind staying an hour away either. Since we'll prolly not just do the dragon and maybe hit up some other roads...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Closer town

There is town to the south called Robbinsville about 20 miles south of deals gap, it is a very small town but it does have lodging and it is about as close as u can get

·
Asian Persuasion
2,897 Posts
So how was the trip?

·
Asian Persuasion
2,897 Posts
Sorry to hear, but glad that you were able to get in another ride!
Plan on going another time?

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not to the Gap, that'll have to wait till next season...but we are planning on going back to Shady Valley on the 15th this month.

·
Asian Persuasion
2,897 Posts
That's cool. I was planning on going this month back up to the Gap, but I've just way too much stuff going on, so I'll have to wait until next season also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yellow_wolf said:
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

get people and great place!! only motorcycle people which makes the place way cool to hang out at!!!!!
+1
What he said

The Iron Horse Lodge had options of tent camping, RV camping, bunkhouse, or cabins. I only saw 2 kinds of travellers there: RV people, and motorcycles (or both).

You could get breakfast made to order any day of the week.
If there were enough people there for the night, you could order dinner.

During the evenings when I was there we watched DVD movies in the main lodge building on a screen that rivalled small movie theaters, or chilled out around a campfire outside, or watched satellite TV. Most people in the main lodge building were passing out on the couches as the evening went on.

In the middle of the week it was real quiet there, and ending a day of riding there sitting on a deck listening to the mountain stream bubbling by was a great way to wind down.

Since the Iron Horse Lodge was off the beaten path, I felt way better about staying there with my bike outside than I would about any other place. The staff gave it a nice family feeling, not a commercial feel like most motels.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Not a cool place to stay, but meets your basic needs. Check out the Microtel in Robbinsville, NC. Its in a tiny town, but its cheap, clean and a fun ride to the gap from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts