Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a ton of posts on here by noobs looking at Gixxers, R6s, CBRs, etc that most agree have no business on one of them. Tonight I brought home a first bike for my wife. Its a little 250 Honda VTR. I have been riding for a little while and my wife is new so I rode it home. This bike makes about 25 hp and I am 225 lbs. Let me tell you I had a BLAST riding this thing. It handles great, acceleration is fast enough, its fairly comfortable, and it is a great bike to learn on. We paid $1100 for it and its in great shape. This is definately a good bike for a first timer. It rides very much like my VTR1000 just everything is easier to do on it. Yes I know everyone wants the cool sportbikes but do yourself and your family a favor and start out on something like this. You can always sell it to another Noob once you have some street time and move up to something b*****.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's a great thought, and a good post, but you and I both know that newbies make up their minds and go with it. Those that know enough to start small do so no matter what they are pushed towards, and those that decide they are tough enough for a big bike first grab one of those. It's also quite obvious which of these two is more likely to live a long and healthy life as a motorcyclist, but it doesn't convince too many people!

·
Just another n00b
473 Posts
freeride said:
Those that know enough to start small do so no matter what they are pushed towards .... It's also quite obvious which of these two is more likely to live a long and healthy life as a motorcyclist ....
Looks like I'll be living a long life :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got a 200cc street bike for 200 dollars. I learned on it for 5 months and got the basics down of street riding. I bought a 600 and it scared the hell out of me for the first 1500 miles.

I couldn't imagine starting on a 600. The 200 was effortless to operate, once on a sportbike it was like trying to turn a 300 pound brick in comparison. (My 200CC weighs only 50 pounds less than my 600)

Weight is not everything, the 200 feels like 50 pounds because of the seat position, the handlebars are high and relaxed (minus the waffle grips which cause perpetual pain). It turns 500% better in low speed conditions. Overall getting on the 200 I felt like I was ready to go on the highway (tops out at 55 so I never really did) after 5 minutes.

The first time I got on my 600 I couldn't turn around on my street to come home without the constant fear of dropping it. Just giving you an idea of how fun it is to learn on a smaller bike, and how scary it is to learn on a SS.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If I remember right, the person starting this thread originally wanted a larger bike. If so, I'm glad you went for the smaller one and are happy with the decision.

·
Registered
681 Posts
freeride said:
It's a great thought, and a good post, but you and I both know that newbies make up their minds and go with it. Those that know enough to start small do so no matter what they are pushed towards, and those that decide they are tough enough for a big bike first grab one of those. It's also quite obvious which of these two is more likely to live a long and healthy life as a motorcyclist, but it doesn't convince too many people!
YOU'RE RIGHT.......SEE?
Mach said:
pffffffffft
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
353 Posts
As for resale...

I bought a 2003 Ninja 250 with 700 miles on it for $2300 last September. I put another 3100 on it, wrecked once (minor), and sold it in April for $2000.

300 dollars plus about 50 dollars worth of maintenance along with fuel costs for a nice learner bike? I'll take that all day.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got a 450.. learned it for a summer.. wasn't sure about riding because it was a piece of junk.. waited a year.. bought a ex500.. rode that for 2 years.. was scared a few times because I floored it and it took off so fast I had a hard time letting go of the throttle, because it was pulling me back and I couldn't get the throttle forward.. thought I'd never want a 600 because of that.. but got used to it.. sold it for an sv650.. got used to that for a year.. felt very comfortable with it.. sold it for my current cbrf4i.. and love it.. feel comfortable.. still worry myself sometimes.. but am confident I can handle a bike like that...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I started on a Ninja 250 myself. Rode it for about 2 months, passed the cycle test on it, then sold it at profit and bought a Nighthawk 650. Rode that for an entire year, then bought an FZR600. That thing scared me on a regular basis, but it was a great first sportbike, especially considering I had already "mastered" the basics.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mercutio80 said:
If I remember right, the person starting this thread originally wanted a larger bike. If so, I'm glad you went for the smaller one and are happy with the decision.
Actually it was my wife that liked the 600s she saw but she knew nothing about bikes....she was choosing on looks alone. It was this or a Buell Blast which I think may have been a little too torquey for her. This was also 300% cheaper so we went with this. Most of my friends are experienced riders riding 750s or larger bikes all the time yet a bunch of us took turns with this thing last night and it really is fun to ride around on...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Mach said:
pffffffffft

Nice...good thing you built a lot of credability proclaiming to the world that you let your ego make your buying/riding decisions. Then again, you're a newbie without a bike, you obviously know TONS more than anyone else here... :rolleyes:

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Mach said:
pffffffffft
WTF kinda of reply is that? This is a good post. He is being straight forward and giving good info about a good starter bike and you have to bring your cocky attitude acting like your way to good for a starter bike. There are actually some people out there that want to start on a smaller bike, so why are you trying to put them down? I hope your just kidding around cause if you aint then take your ass outta here.

Where is that ban smilie when you need it :twofinger :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Inky24 said:
WTF kinda of reply is that? This is a good post. He is being straight forward and giving good info about a good starter bike and you have to bring your cocky attitude acting like your way to good for a starter bike. There are actually some people out there that want to start on a smaller bike, so why are you trying to put them down? I hope your just kidding around cause if you aint then take your ass outta here.

Where is that ban smilie when you need it :twofinger :D
+1 Inky24

I started on a Ninja 250 and am working my way up. Currently have an old EX500. At least I ride Mach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not hijacking this thread or anything, these are just my 0.02 :)

Because of school, work and the truck payments I'll have at the end of the summer I can't have a bike right now. I was determined to take MSF this july, and get a used Kawi 250/500. Now it looks like the soonest will be sometime next year. I've been to a bunch of dealers and one thing I've noticed is when it comes to curb appeal, I can see why no one realy wants the smaller Kawi's. Next to the new middleweights and literbikes, their ugly and blocky looking. I mean realy, has the 250 ever had a redesign in its entire life span? Does it have to be THAT boring to look at? Looks don't mean everything of course, but were talking about a toy that costs several thousand dollars. It would be sweet if it was a bit more aesthetically (sp?) pleasing. I bet its a blast to ride. But there is a small place for "looking cool" (puts on poser flamesuit) and it sucks that the best newB bikes are so plain, and just downright old looking. I'll still get one even though, but I will be a tiny minority in my area.

Imagine a 250R with some styling cues borrowed from the ZX6R ;)

Dunno, was just thinking this may be another reason so many people want to start on a bike thats too big.

/End rant.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts