Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you'll have to wait until tomorrow morning after 6 a.m. (saturday, 17 mar 2007) for the list of brand names to be recalled from the manufacturer's website, http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/Press_Recall_03162007.pdf

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > BUSINESS

60 Million Containers of Pet Food Recalled After Dog and Cat Deaths
Friday, March 16, 2007

WASHINGTON — A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6 throughout the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site -- www.menufoods.com/recall -- early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies. Its three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

·
Swollen Member
4,967 Posts
Holy hell.....I just got some new dog food for my dogs and one of them had a horrible stomach ache. I couldnt even touch her without her yelping.....very sad.

I figured it was the table food she had....I think im not gonna give her that dog food now.

Thanks a bunch man i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SloppyJoseph said:
Holy hell.....I just got some new dog food for my dogs and one of them had a horrible stomach ache. I couldnt even touch her without her yelping.....very sad.

I figured it was the table food she had....I think im not gonna give her that dog food now.

Thanks a bunch man i really appreciate it.
anytime bro! gotta look after our pets like children, at least we do.

:cheers

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Lesbian said:
That's why my boy is raw fed. Commercial pet foods = BAD.

HA! a strawberry in the center!!! what was in his/her bowl and what do you estimate is the monthly cost to feed your dog?

i heard raw food was a good way to go, especially to build their immune system. we give our dogs nutro, it's all natural, no byproducts and the dogs seem to love it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
In a lot of cases it is cheaper to feed RAW...depending on the diet

I use a pretty highend dog food...cali natural lamb and rice damn thing is over 30 bucks a bag :( but my labs coat stays shiney and he is healthy so its worth it :)

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$30 for a 20lb bag or 40lb bag?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
coronadozx said:
HA! a strawberry in the center!!! what was in his/her bowl and what do you estimate is the monthly cost to feed your dog?

i heard raw food was a good way to go, especially to build their immune system. we give our dogs nutro, it's all natural, no byproducts and the dogs seem to love it.
Raw is the healthiest for them. He gets raw chicken and beef along with vitamins, eggs, vegetables and fruits.

We buy from our breeder at $2.50 per pound. Usually 100 pounds every 4-5 months. So it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
man, $250 every 4 to 5 months? that's for one dog, correct? not too bad.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
coronadozx said:
man, $250 every 4 to 5 months? that's for one dog, correct? not too bad.
Yep. Just Rossi. It's not all that expensive as what most people perceive it to be. And the benefits for them is well worth it. My guy's perfectly healthy, beautiful coat, lots of energy.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how old is he and how many times a day do you feed him?

and, when you said you get the food from your breeder, do you mean everything (i.e. the fruit, ground meat, chicken etc.) or do you get some of that stuff from the local grocery?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
coronadozx said:
how old is he and how many times a day do you feed him?

and, when you said you get the food from your breeder, do you mean everything (i.e. the fruit, ground meat, chicken etc.) or do you get some of that stuff from the local grocery?
He'll be 2 in June. We get the pre-mixed meat from the breeder that has eggs and vitamins in it. Then the rest from a grocery store. We'll also break in an egg with each of his meal too.

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
Good thing I don't buy any of that stuff! There would be hell to pay if my Keeta got sick or worse yet died. And that's not even taking in to account how Officer/Will would react. I feel sorry for the people who have lost their pets.
That's cool your dog eats that kind of food Coronadozx. Great Looking Dog!!

·
So what?
1,134 Posts
Thank's for the heads up. I found that my dogs food is in recall. Time to go return the food. One of the dogs has been sick to her stomach several times. It may be coincidense, but I'm not willing to risk it.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hope everything turns out well man and hopefully your dog isn't sick b/c of the food.

best wishes for the dog bro.

·
So what?
1,134 Posts
The dogs seem to be fine. I had them checked by the vet. All seemed to be fine. Dogs are eating and drinking, and kidneys are functioning. Punk and Molly were playing tonight, so all is well.
Sad that you try to do what is best for your animals, try to feed them healthy food and you could end up killing them.
I gave the warning over on my forum to spread the word.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The foods that are on recall are most formula of wet foods from Iams/Eukanuba, Hill's Science diet, and Natural Choice (Nutro) i believe. Or at least these are the brands that have been recalled from the store at which i buy my dogs food at.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here's the list of all products recalled:

1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
2. Authority
3. Award
4. Best Choice
5. Big Bet
6. Big Red
7. Bloom
8. Wegmans Bruiser
9. Cadillac
10. Companion
11. Demoulas Market Basket
12. Eukanuba
13. Food Lion
14. Giant Companion
15. Great Choice
16. Hannaford
17. Hill Country Fare
18. Hy-Vee
19. Iams
20. Laura Lynn
21. Loving Meals
22. Meijers Main Choice
23. Mighty Dog Pouch
24. Mixables
25. Nutriplan
26. Nutro Max
27. Nutro Natural Choice
28. Nutro Ultra
29. Nutro
30. Ol'Roy Canada
31. Ol'Roy US
32. Paws
33. Pet Essentials
34. Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
35. Presidents Choice
36. Price Chopper
37. Priority Canada
38. Priority US
39. Publix
40. Roche Brothers
41. Save-A-Lot
42. Schnucks
43. Shep Dog
44. Springsfield Prize
45. Sprout
46. Stater Brothers
47. Weis Total Pet
48. Western Family US
49. White Rose
50. Winn Dixie
51. Your Pet

go to this link and click on the particular food and it will give you the lot numbers that are recalled.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I feed my dog the cheaper puppy chow til he's about 6mo or so then I'll switch over to something diff. The brand I feed is on the list but not the type of food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts