1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://baynews9.com/content/36/2006/1/24/140689.html

Tougher DUI laws could be on the way
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
TALLAHASSEE (AP) - A state lawmaker is pushing a plan that would give Florida one of the toughest DUI laws in the country.

The proposed legislation would hit repeat drunk drivers with a minimum two-year jail sentence instead of the current 30 days in jail if they're convicted of a fourth DUI.

Representative Gayle Harrell, a Republican from Stuart, is sponsoring the bill. Harrell's plan also includes boating under the influence. Any combination of operating a boat or vehicle under the influence would count toward the minimum jail sentence.

Her bill comes up for its first review in a House committee this week.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
For everyone

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Why does it have to take 4 times before some real punishment happens??

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'll concur with bumblebee and Fargin. It shouldn't take four convictions for a real punishment to come into play. Its socially and morally irresponsible for us, as a society, to have such a high tolerance for this.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
agreed. but, isn't there also a clause in there that says if anybody is injured, then the maximum could go up to life? That is DEF. something I would vote for. Problem is, boaters and such are usually the ones with the money, and they make the rules. Hope it passes.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
What is the standard bac limit for DUI in Florida?

Are you prepared to warehouse thousands upon thousands of people after having one glass of wine with dinner?
Is that DUI? It depends...
This happened to a woman in Wash, DC last month. Reason for the stop?
Her lights were momentarily turned off as she emerged from an underground parking garage.

I am a cop, and I detest drunk drivers! I will use all of my abilities and skill to remove intoxicated drivers from the roads permanently .
But before we start stacking people like cord wood in prison cells for two years over a single beer,
we must rationally decide what the real limits are.

Remember, this could be many of you, after one or two drinks...

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
jk750 said:
What is the standard abc limit for DUI in Florida?

Are you prepared to warehouse thousands upon thousands of people after having one glass of wine with dinner?
Is that DUI? It depends...
This happened to a woman in Wash, DC last month. Reason for the stop?
Her lights were momentarily turned off as she emerged from an underground parking garage.

I am a cop, and I detest drunk drivers! I will use all of my abilities and skill to remove intoxicated drivers from the roads permanently .
But before we start stacking people like cord wood in prison cells for two years over a single beer,
we must rationally decide what the real limits are.

Remember, this could be many of you, after one or two drinks...

So, you don't believe that much stiffer penalties would discourage people from drinking and driving?

I would think it would stop the person who would have 2 drinks and drive from doing that in the first place if they new it could be a very bad thing.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
It most certainly will not faze the habitual drinker. But it will remove him from the road for the set amount of time. I fully support that initiative!

But guess who else could be right there with him. Ever have a drink with dinner, then drive home afterwords?
One drink, in the extreme, could be all it takes for you to be sharing the drunk tank with Otis for two years.

I just wanted to know what the legal limits are in Florida? In DC, it is .08bac.
HOWEVER, it is apparently up to the individual officer to make the determination if the offender is Driving Under the Influence, even if their actual blood alcohol content is below the legal limit.

Hell, I know plenty of people that can't even drive stone sober!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I disdain drunk drivers! I lock these people up, and they get right back on the road. :angry

But there has to be some reasonable safeguards in place before we start stockpiling non intoxicated citizens sitting on a boat with a fishing pole and a Miller Lite in their hand.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
jk750 said:
It most certainly will not faze the habitual drinker. But it will remove him from the road for the set amount of time. I fully support that initiative!

But guess who else could be right there with him. Ever have a drink with dinner, then drive home afterwords?
One drink, in the extreme, could be all it takes for you to be sharing the drunk tank with Otis for two years.

I just wanted to know what the legal limits are in Florida? In DC, it is .08abc.
HOWEVER, it is apparently up to the individual officer to make the determination if the offender is Driving Under the Influence, even if their actual blood alcohol content is below the legal limit.

Hell, I know plenty of people that can't even drive stone sober!
I can honestly say, I've never done that. I am wondering if you think that a much stiffer penalty for a first offense would deter the casual drinker from even tempting fate?

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
We need to clearly define what DUI/DWI means first. If it means one drink, fine! If it means .08bac, that's fine too.
Whatever...

Why not make it 2 years on the first offense? Why on the 4th?
What if the first offense was 30+ years ago. The second one 20 years ago, the third 10 years ago and so on?

This proposal seems too vague. I would need more information.

When I was younger the BAC limit was .10 and the drinking age was 18.

If we go too far we will be incarcerating untold thousands of people for drinking too much orange juice.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
jk750 said:
We need to clearly define what DUI/DWI means first. If it means one drink, fine! If it means .08bac, that's fine too.
Whatever...

Why not make it 2 years on the first offense? Why on the 4th?
What if the first offense was 30+ years ago. The second one 20 years ago, the third 10 years ago and so on?

This proposal seems too vague. I would need more information.

When I was younger the BAC limit was .10 and the drinking age was 18.

If we go too far we will be incarcerating untold thousands of people for drinking too much orange juice.
In other countries (Australia, for instance) it's .04. Do you think that's fair

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I've done alcohol testing for Field Sobriety Testing certification. .04 is a little more than half a beer in 15 minutes for me. Zero impairment. Enough for a conviction in some juristictions.
Your results may vary.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Here's Austrailia's laws. Considering they drink like fish, they have very low DD fatalities:
"Road laws are state based

* Australian Capital Territory
o 0.02% for 'professional' drivers (taxi, bus, dangerous goods vehicles, heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes, Commonwealth vehicles) and learner and P plate drivers
o 0.05% for experience drivers (that is drivers over 18 years of age who have been driving for more than 3 years and are not classed as 'professional' drivers)
* New South Wales:
o Zero for Learner and Provisonal licences and 0.02 % for Drivers of vehicles of "gross vehicle mass" greater than 13.9 tonnes, vehicles carrying dangerous goods or public vehicles such as a taxi or bus.
o 0.05% for all other drivers
* Queensland
o A Zero limit applies to the drivers of trucks, buses, articulated vehicles, vehicles carrying dangerous goods, pilot vehicles, and taxis. It also applies to all learner drivers and provisional drivers under 25 years of age.
o 0.05% for other drivers.
* South Australia
o Zero limit for learner, provisional, probationary, heavy (greater than 15 tonne) vehicle, taxis, licensed chauffeured vehicles, dangerous goods, and bus licences.
o 0.05% for all other drivers.
* Tasmania
o Zero limit for learner, provisional, truck, bus, and taxi licences.
* Victoria
o Zero limit applies for Learner and Probationary licences, as well as any 'professional' drivers - including tram drivers.
* Western Australia
o 0.02% for provisional (probatory) licence holders.

In Australia, there are laws that allow for a police officer to stop any driver and perform a random breath test, without needing any reason. Also, in Victoria, for example, if a doctor sees any patient who is 15 years old or older, who comes to him as a result of a road accident, the doctor must test the patient's alcohol content in a way that preserves the chain of evidence, regardless of whether the patient claims to be the driver or any other circumstances. "-http://www.mrsci.com/Alcohol-Abuse/Drunk_driving.php

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
That's very interesting stuff. What are their penalties like?

You can blow a .02 bac without having knowingly ingested any alcoholic beverage. Hence, my orange juice comment.

In addition, bac (blood alcohol content) can have little bearing on one's actual impairment.
One person could be falling down drunk at .08 and another completely free from impairment at .10+.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't drink much and don't do any drugs, but I think our govts drug policy is messed up. We allow people with DUIs to continue driving even after they hurt or kill people. Yet we put away thousands of people a year for minor drug offenses and take away their lisences. Most people who are stoned stay home and eat, they don't go drag race their buddies.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
That was my exact implied correlation!

Warehouse even casual drinkers, perhaps not even impaired but with the odor on their breath, if that's what we want to do.

But is that what we want to do? Does that make good sense? Sure, we'll toss in a few real habitual drunks, too.
Better start building a lot more prisons.

We need sensible DUI/DWI quidelines and laws. And we need to strictly and harshly enforce them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts