Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcyclist struck, killed leaving dealership | News - Home

SAN ANTONIO -
A motorcyclist died Tuesday evening following what police called a tragic accident on the city's Northwest Side.

It happened just before 6:00 p.m. on the IH-10 Eastbound frontage road near Northwest Parkway.

The motorcyclist, identified as 25-year-old Ruben Arizmendi, had just purchased a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja at Alamo Cycle Plex prior to the fatal accident.

"When he exited the driveway onto the frontage road, he lost control of the bike and it slid into the path of an oncoming vehicle," said SAPD Sgt. Steven Lovelady.

According to Lovelady, the motorcycle slid across three lanes of traffic before Arizmendi was run over by a Toyota 4-Runner.

The woman behind the wheel of the SUV tried to miss the rider, but ended up hitting him.

Even though the victim was wearing a helmet, he suffered massive head injuries and died at the scene.

Based on what accident investigators have learned so far, Arizmendi had little to no experience on a motorcycle and didn't have a motorcycle license.

The sales team at Alamo Cycle Plex reportedly knew he was inexperienced and offered to have the bike delivered to his house, but Arizmendi insisted on driving it home.

Sadly, his mother came to the dealership with her son and saw the accident unfold right in front of her.

"Unfortunately mom was following behind him in a vehicle and witnessed it," Lovelady said. "It was a tragic and horrific accident especially for family members to have witnessed it."

The driver of the SUV is not expected to face any charges. Police said she was not distracted and tried to avoid hitting the victim but he slid under her vehicle.

HOW DO YOU SELL A MOTORCYCLE TO SOMEONE WITHOUT A LICENSE!!!!?????

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
You can't NOT sell a motorcycle to someone without a license, or a car for that matter. In many states, including mine, you don't even need a license to register a vehicle. It sucks, but it sounds like they offered to deliver it to his house and he refused. They did all they legally could.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't NOT sell a motorcycle to someone without a license, or a car for that matter. In many states, including mine, you don't even need a license to register a vehicle. It sucks, but it sounds like they offered to deliver it to his house and he refused. They did all they legally could.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I know what you are saying. I wonder if he financed it...

·
Registered
825 Posts
It is vary sad.
I have a good friend that worked at a dealership. He would at vain try to steer new riders to smaller bikes. But they would still buy a 1K and ride off. Days later the dike would be in the shop needing new body panels or a clutch.

It is not up to a dealership to police what people buy. A good salesperson qualifies the buyer.
Don't be naive, salespeople are there to sell you stuff. Just like the chick at the perfume counter selling skunk butt in a bottle, it is their job.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I'd literally be the worst sportbike salesperson of all time and wouldn't last more than a week with my "start small to be better faster" outlook on riding. I still remember the guy that respected my decision to start on a 250R and got me the best deal he could on one....which to my surprise was better than I would've been able to find privately.

There are good ones out there that are for the best interest of new riders, but unfortunately the summertime brings SO many new-to-the-scene potential riders that the majority of sales personnel SE nothing but $$$....so the proper starter bikes get shoved under the carpet in turn for the sexier/faster/shinier SuperSport/SuperBike/HyperSport offerings.

·
Registered
341 Posts
They could, I would think, refuse service for any reason not prohibited by federal law (race, religion, sex, disability and so on)...but then they wouldn't make enough money to stay open seeing as how 80% (my own made up statistic) of riders don't seem to belong on any motorcycle, let alone the big shiny death penis they leave the dealer with.

Being the dealership that says, 'we don't sell supersports to n00bs' probably isn't lucrative.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
This is the kind of stupidity that is going to and probably should get all new and used motorcycle sales regulated. As much as I'd hate to see the government involved in anything else, dealers who are greedy and no regulations as to what you can legally start on are going to eventually bring strict regulations.

They will follow the European model.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
So .. lets get this straight .. Its legal to ride a motorcycle with no motorcycle licence in the US ? Zero previous experience ... just go buy a turbo busa .. and give it a go .. with everyone else on the public highway ?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Guy has no experience and no license and he still insists to ride the bike home. Do we really need to point the finger @ the government for not babysitting every idiot out there? The government (any government) should stop banning and controlling shit and should focus on creating a more intelligent population. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that riding a bike with no license and no experience is probably a bad idea. Sorry but that's no tragic accident - that's a fucking statistic.

P.S.

I bought my first bike a month or two before I got my license. You know what I did? I had my friend come with his truck, we drove the bike back home, I bought all the gear in the next month or two, I did the MSF and then spent the next few days in the little parking lot behind the house practicing what I learned in the MSF. Only then did I take the bike out on the street around my neighborhood. Trust me I'm no genius and I somehow managed to figure that out without having the government control my every action.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Guy has no experience and no license and he still insists to ride the bike home. Do we really need to point the finger @ the government for not babysitting every idiot out there? The government (any government) should stop banning and controlling shit and should focus on creating a more intelligent population. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that riding a bike with no license and no experience is probably a bad idea. Sorry but that's no tragic accident - that's a fucking statistic.

Yeah .. but if I could have done that here .. at 17yo .. with 17yo hormone enraged brain engaged .. I would have done it too .

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeah .. but if I could have done that here .. at 17yo .. with 17yo hormone enraged brain engaged .. I would have done it too .
This is one of the reasons I'm glad it took me until my mid 20's to seriously consider a motorcycle. I think back to how I was when I was in my late teens with my car and I wonder if I would still be here if I got my hands on a supersport.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is the kind of stupidity that is going to and probably should get all new and used motorcycle sales regulated. As much as I'd hate to see the government involved in anything else, dealers who are greedy and no regulations as to what you can legally start on are going to eventually bring strict regulations.

They will follow the European model.
all that regulation will do is make it more difficult for honest people to ride...you really think government regulation will keep the people that already ride around without insurance and license from doing so?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
So .. lets get this straight .. Its legal to ride a motorcycle with no motorcycle licence in the US ? Zero previous experience ... just go buy a turbo busa .. and give it a go .. with everyone else on the public highway ?
we do not have motorcycle licenses, we have motorcycle endorsements to our driver's license.

And yes it is illegal to ride a motorcycle on the road without an endorsement, or to ride a non highway legal motorcycle on the road.

but, around here at least, it happens all the time.

all the farmers around here buy non road legal Chinese p.o.s.'es or other cheap dirt bikes to use as irrigation moving, cow herding, ditch diging, bikes.

most of them start riding well before it is legal to drive, and probably do not even know that motorcycle endorsements are available for their licences.

·
Registered
269 Posts
we do not have motorcycle licenses, we have motorcycle endorsements to our driver's license.

And yes it is illegal to ride a motorcycle on the road without an endorsement, or to ride a non highway legal motorcycle on the road.

but, around here at least, it happens all the time.

all the farmers around here buy non road legal Chinese p.o.s.'es or other cheap dirt bikes to use as irrigation moving, cow herding, ditch diging, bikes.

most of them start riding well before it is legal to drive, and probably do not even know that motorcycle endorsements are available for their licences.
There are motorcycle only licenses; it doesn't have to be an endorsement to the driver's license.

And it is legal to ride without a license in some states (all you need is a learner's permit). In MA, the only restrictions for a permit holder are that you can't ride at night, and you can't carry passengers. Everything else, including highway use, is fair game.

To sequentialshift, yes, it is legal to ride without a license in the US in some states. In those states, usually all you need is a permit, and the only requirement for a permit is a written test. So yeah, you can spend half an hour studying for the written test, get your piece of paper, then go buy a 'Busa.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the law is state by state. In MD they recently changed it so if you buy a bike at a dealership you must have the proper endorsement to purchase. In MD, it is also illegal to ride (by yourself) even with a permit. If you are caught riding with just a permit, or no M class endorsement, they will impound your bike and you will be slapped with heavy fines. This is a sad story, but unfortunately this was not the only rider to perish on his maiden voyage home from the dealer. If you have buddies thinking about buying a bike, convince them to take some training before riding illegally on the street (get the proper endorsement). You could save his/her life.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Licensing drivers in the US is left up to each state to set their own laws. There are differences from state to state with a few common themes. We do NOT have tiered licensing with required instruction. Many states don't have helmet laws either. Unfortunately, many bike dealers take advantage of this "opportunity" to sell unqualified riders whatever bike they might dream of having.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A tragic way to lose a life no doubt. Goes without saying there are consequences for everything in life, and stupid is as stupid does. Hopefully someone else learns from his mistake because he can't.

And the whole teenager, hormones, youth excuse (he was 25 anyway) is a sad cop out for our society. How about parents stop raising tards and promote responsibility/ good sense instead of these manchildren that lack character and conviction.

·
Registered
269 Posts
A tragic way to lose a life no doubt. Goes without saying there are consequences for everything in life, and stupid is as stupid does. Hopefully someone else learns from his mistake because he can't.

And the whole teenager, hormones, youth excuse (he was 25 anyway) is a sad cop out for our society. How about parents stop raising tards and promote responsibility/ good sense instead of these manchildren that lack character and conviction.
At 25 the blame is no longer on the parents. 25 is old enough to think for yourself and learn responsibility on your own, regardless of how you were raised.

At least he didn't suffer (I assume he didn't, or at least not for long, since he died at the scene).

My condolences to his family, especially his mother. Watching her son die must have been awful.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sorry to be morbidly curious, but I'm trying to piece together what happened here - (I've been to this dealership while on tour some years ago, so it was kinda familiar)

Alamo Cycle Plex

So he was attempting to turn right to merge onto a 50 MPH frontage road, and ended up sliding across all 3 of the lanes of the single-direction frontage road.

How did that happen? Simply way too much throttle with poor lean angle, and he lost traction and low sided? It's hard for me to imagine going from 0 to sliding across 30+ feet of asphalt that quickly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts