Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here, I am learning to ride here in the UK, I am doing my Direct Access test/course and I have a quick question, has anyone tried a naked FZ6 with the flyscreen?

There is a good picture at the link below...

http://www.frontiersmc.co.uk/acatalog/FZ6_Fazer_and_FZ6_2004.html

The official number is... 5VX-W0751-00-00

I have just had my first lesson on a CB500 and I was rather taken aback at the amount of windblast at 70 on the motorway and as I have my heart set on a naked FZ6, I thought the flyscreen would be a good addition?

The faired fazer just doesn't push my buttons like the naked bike...

The other thing is that the flyscreen is assymmetrical so would that cause problems? a bit of bufffeting perhaps?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, that looks a bit funny though..?

The only one I have seen which I like the look of is the official yamaha screen, but like I said, it looks like a toupee...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
691 Posts
pcoup said:
Hi mate, thanks for the great feedback from other forum members, if you want to go "naked" check out my kits at www.motoxtreme.co.nz if you have any questions email me from there- cheers
he hasn't got one yet, and seein' as he's here in the UK he can buy a naked from new!

Just one thing.............they took you on the motorway on your direct access? they can't do that! You sure it wasn't just a dual carriageway?

Anyway, i find the naked to be fine on the motorway, it's only when you get to around a ton that it starts to put pressure on, i'm quite comfortable cruising at 90-odd so don't worry about it! Hey, i don't even have the flyscreen, i'm sure that would help a little at higher speeds...........

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ive been looking for a fly screen too, the official ones and most others dont look very nice at all. I recently did a trip from London to Birmingham (UK) and anything over 70mph and you really do feel alot of drag. I'd be very interested too if you find a decent looking flyscreen that does a good job.

Jar

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bear in mind this ... and its only because I did my direct access 3 years ago, and have been riding very well on a UK naked FZ6 for nearly 2 years now ... you get used to the wind blast.

I've tried a few other bikes since getting mine (almost 13k miles in 2 years ... pertty good!) ... other bikes with fly screen or half-fairings (Fazer, CBF1000, CB600 Hornet, 650 Bandit, Kwak750) tend to force the wind blast to the base of my helmet, making the wind buffeting even worse, and louder. Afer riding these bikes I was glad to get back to the true naked bike for a rest!!

I've been looking for a decent flyscreen and iven up, none look right and pretty much defeat the reason I got the naked bike .. it's naked!!!

Love it for what it is ... which is chuffing lovely!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think it may have been an extra windy day and i had no idea what to expect being that it was my first long ride in any vehicle. But its true you buy a naked bike because its naked and to be honest the naked version look about a million times better than the faired version imo.

Jar

·
Registered
514 Posts
when I tested the FZ6N I thought the wind blast was really bad from 65mph upwards. Now I don't notice it until well after 85mph. It's what you get used to, and the bike is better for it.

I tested the normal FZ6 and didn't like the look, but again the screen deflected the wind to upper chest and neck areas, meaning it was louder and gave me neck ache. I ended up sitting higher to get head into the unobstructed airflow, ducking lower only made it worse!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
If a bar mounted fairing is of any size (height or width), buffeting could cause some stability issues. I put a bar mount fairing (smaller in size than the FZ)on a 80s Suzuki GS 550, and on windy days it was spooky. It had ears out to the grips which didn't help. I have a faired FZ that handles side winds pretty well. One advantage of the naked is that the wind blast on your chest from your speed will tend to naturally lighten the weight on your hands. That could help your endurance. Good Luck, Davo

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
One remedy I've found is to mount lower bars, this makes you ride lower and is a more natural seating position when you have pressure against your chest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am trying to find a cool looking fly screen for my new naked FZ6 S2 but other than the official ones i am struggling to find screens that are designed for the S2's newly shaped instrument panel. Anyone found any yet as Yamaha's official ones are far too pricey?

·
Mr Crash :(
5,284 Posts
DavidHopkins said:
when I tested the FZ6N I thought the wind blast was really bad from 65mph upwards. Now I don't notice it until well after 85mph. It's what you get used to, and the bike is better for it.

I tested the normal FZ6 and didn't like the look, but again the screen deflected the wind to upper chest and neck areas, meaning it was louder and gave me neck ache. I ended up sitting higher to get head into the unobstructed airflow, ducking lower only made it worse!!!
+ 1 on the getting used to the wind on the naked. I was a little worried about it when I made the conversion, but now I don`t even notice it anymore... even after riding 500+ miles in a day.

On the other hand, I disagree on your comment about the faired FZ... the windshield definitely helped a lot with the wind and noise was about the same (to me) and no added pressure on the neck... it may be due to how tall you are though... I am 5'9.

We do agree that Naked looks much better :banana

·
Registered
158 Posts
jsbhachu said:
But its true you buy a naked bike because its naked and to be honest the naked version look about a million times better than the faired version imo.

Jar
There are a lot of peeps here who agree with your opinion of the naked look.
I however prefer the fairing looks and the sheer benefit of it.
To me the naked version looks like somethings missing. It's like a nudist camp where you'll find people who shouldn't be naked. IMHO:boink

·
Registered
539 Posts
pcoup said:
Hi mate, thanks for the great feedback from other forum members, if you want to go "naked" check out my kits at www.motoxtreme.co.nz if you have any questions email me from there- cheers
dood where were u when i made my bike [email protected]#[email protected]#%!!! that kit looks sweet, i was wondering if i could get a blow up picture of the diagram you have posted on the website to check and see exactly how the speedo is mounted, what lights you used etc. thanx!

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 05 naked came with the factory fly screen. Can't tell you if its effective as a wind screen as I've not ridden without it. However it does protect the bits behind it (instruments, bars etc) from bugs etc, making the bike easier to keep clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts