Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning to all. Yesterday I got caught in the rain on I-95 from Daytona to Mims. This was the first time I have rode in the rain a little nerve racking to say the least. What are some good do's and don'ts when riding in the rain, other than the common sense ones? :blowingup

·
Registered
83 Posts
If at all possible pull up somewhere and get out of the rain. Alot of bikes can fowl out if they get too wet. Better to be a little wet under some shelter waiting for the rain to stop, than to be sitting along side of the road in a gusher with a bike that won't run.
Better to sit out and wait for the road to dry. Those pavement markings can tare your butt up.
Chkn

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
OK, here ya go:

-Be smooth with the throttle
-Dont make sudden/quick moves (steering)
-Allow yourself plenty of time/room for braking. Be easy with the brake lever
-Stay off the center of the lane and be careful with the paint lines on the
roads.
-Just avoid ridin in the rain as much as possible LOL

OK, cant think of anything else. Yo guys/gals, can u's think of anything else?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will keep all this in mind. Hopefully I won't have to use it but it nice to know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i totaly lock up on even a little wet pavment , anything having to do with a turn or lean / can barley do it when rains :eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't like the pouring down rain or the harsh winds but when it's just showering I don't mind it to much. I just take it a little easier then normal and let the rain cool me off, with gear on it really doesn't hurt to much.
(Maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know) :)

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
I don't like the downpours at all if I am riding. A little is not too bad, I just adjust speed.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I too agree, if at all possible wait out the rain (find the nearest Hooters) :)

Not only for the increase in skill it takes to ride your bike in the rain, but the decrease in cager's common sense. Nothing like getting smacked from behind when a dumbass didn't brake in time. Ya feel me?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It can't be emphasized enough how slick the paint on the road is hen it is wet. Think about how hard you are braking. Brake both wheels evenly.

I had a motorcycle as my only transportation for 4 years when I lived in VA. I learned to ride my street bike in the rain and SNOW. Now THAT sucks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been on the street and on the track in the rain. It is not the end all that some make it sound.

Key things:

Be smooth on the throttle (Like B.E.T. mentioned). That alone is probably number 1.

Again like B.E.T. mentioned, give yourself more time for braking.

You should always stay off the center of the road, but even more so in the rain. You should also see where the rain is accumalating (sp) and stay away from that portion of the road. Unless your running full slicks, your tires will grip in the rain.

Stay off any painted surfaces in the rain. While they may provide some grip in the dry, in the wet, it is like oil.

If you see that it is slightly raining outside, you should take your bike out and ride. Specially if it is in an area you know really good and practice. I actually enjoy riding on the track in the rain! Great way to practice throttle control! :banme

Braking is also very doable in the rain, just need to be less abrupt about it, just like with the throttle.

Stay calm, don't panick. If on the highway, do not try to suddenly get off! Just stay calm, do not over react. Scan, analyze respond and then analyze what you did to serve you in the future!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Put it this way, if you don't want to ride in the rain then just stay off the streets when I get off of work. Never fails...

·
Registered
259 Posts
If it even looks like it is going to rain.....Stay you ass off the damn bike. That is the best thing to do. Because nine times out of ten if it looks like it is going to rain it is going to!!!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Alrighty figured I would post up some info on rain and road pollutants. As far as not riding the center lane, that is true if these conditions are not met...

1. There has not been an accumalation of rain within the last three days that does not equate to an inch a rain.

2. If raining (this may be hard to judge since not everyone carries a rain gauge with them), and it has been dry for more than three days and at least one inch of rain has not occured.

Basically, all pollutants *oil, gas, coolant, etc.* are washed of the roads up to 94% within the first 1 inch of any storm event. Tests *that I have read thus far* do not say when the remaining 6% is flushed away. Although it may appear there are pollutants still on the road, those are consider stains, neither leaving the final layer nor affecting road conditions *traction*. If it matters, I work for the Stormwater department for Seminole County, more specifically the water quality group. We need to know this kind of information to accurately decide and implement plans for the removal of these pollutants before they reach a major water body. Something like 80% of the pollutants attach themselves to dirt, and this dirt is accumalated in ponds, swales, ditches, among other control structures. All this information is off the top of my head, and if someone wishes to challenge this information I will gladly look it up and quote the information, along with the consultants that performed the work and what dates said work was accomplished.

LOL - That long winded enough?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts