Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddys (car guys) and i were hangin around outside around my bike and just talkin and somehow we got on the subject of my race bikes and floating rotors. my aprilias have what i the guy i baught them from (bryan) to be considered true floating rotors which the move about half a cm in each direction (left and right)...maybe less. but my car buddys tried to tell me that floating rotors arent suppose to move but are still held on by those circulare discs (like the rotors are my gixxer)

that doesnt make since though, can somene tell me which is right....seems like floating rotors would be the ones that would actually move.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your helpful post....

he is actually very smart when it comes to cars. he has a well built wrx. and not built for the 1/4.

and floating calipers???

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
:eek: NO!!! Don't get him started on WRX's again!

True floating brake rotors do indeed exist. For the following reasons;
Full floating rotors stay in touch with the brake pad’s surface much longer than non-floating,
conventional rotors. Better brake feel and power is due to having more contact between the pad and the rotor.
And they do wiggle and jingle in their drive buttons. Less rotor distortion causing heat
is resulted by keeping the rotor and center hub seperate.
Those drive buttons on most stock bikes are rigid and mostly for asthetics.
Your Brembo equipped Aprilia has floaters.... :p

BTW, a floating caliper is when you only have pistons on one side and opposing forces clamp the brake pads together.
The two sides of the caliper 'float' on joining pins.
Mostly found on lesser model sport or cruiser type bikes.

But what do I know, I'm no shade tree mechanic...

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
floating rotors are supposed to move some side to side. the advantage of floating rotors is that they are less likely to warp if the are used hard. over heat solid mount rotors and they will warp.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks a lot jk. what are the rotors called that are just held in place by the 'drive buttons'...just coneventional rotors? or is it like floating rotors=the ones that are held in place and then free floating rotors ='wiggle and jing' in the drive buttons

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
RSRCR said:
thanks a lot jk. what are the rotors called that are just held in place by the 'drive buttons'...just coneventional rotors? or is it like floating rotors (the ones that are held in place) and then free floating rotors ('wiggle and jing' in the drive buttons)
Those rotors held in place (rigidly) by the drive buttons are 'floating style' two piece conventional brake rotors.
These still offer advantages over conventional one piece designs.
Less weight, noticeably better heat dissipation, wharp resistance...

One piece rotor, think old Harley...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so there are 'rigid' floating rotors and then there are 'free' floating rotors?

sorry if im becoming a pain in the ass, i just wanna come forward with a good terminology and support. because i told him that true floating rotors should move and that the rotors on my gixxer are just standard 2 piece rotors.

im a racer....i always have to win the battle :D

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
RSRCR said:
so there are 'rigid' floating rotors and then there are 'free' floating rotors?

sorry if im becoming a pain in the ass, i just wanna come forward with a good terminology and support. because i told him that true floating rotors should move and that the rotors on my gixxer are just standard 2 piece rotors.

im a racer....i always have to win the battle :D
No prob, you are correct. Different names... Basically, we're dealing with three types of rotors.
1. One piece rotor

2. Two piece conventional, non floating rotor (it may wiggle just a bit, technically not a full floater
though it may resemble one)

3. Two piece floating rotor (or 'full' floating, same thing...)
If it ain't got that jingle it ain't gonna float. :cool:

How 'bout some fun with some wet, and dry clutches???

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, ill send you a 250 for your 1000...ill even pay shipping both ways if its in good condition :p

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
RSRCR said:
haha, ill send you a 250 for your 1000...ill even pay shipping both ways if its in good condition :p
:p It's Brand Spankin' New so it's still in pristine condition! :p
Sold my '97 750 last week (sniffle) and just bought the 1k. :)
I would love to have a smaller, lighter track bike, and there's always
room in my life for two-stroke track zinger!
Good for you.
AND you live in Sonoma! Lucky you!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i love my babys, nikita and pria :D. 250 class is very competitve too. its just its not as recongnized as the 600 class. i hope i get noticed and sponsored before it comes time to move up to the 600 class.

if you are really serious about gettin a 250 i know plenty of people

·
Banned
245 Posts
RSRCR said:
thanks for your helpful post....

he is actually very smart when it comes to cars. he has a well built wrx. and not built for the 1/4.

and floating calipers???

honda wrx, same ricer crowd i mean poseurs

hit it on the right spot when he "thinks" he knows cars

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fierospeeder said:
honda wrx, same ricer crowd i mean poseurs

hit it on the right spot when he "thinks" he knows cars
lolol...honda wrx.

·
Banned
245 Posts
im not saying honda makes wrx

im saying honda, subaru, toyotas, mitsubishi, is all in the poseur sport compact crowd
that dont know shit about cars. thats why they own those cars.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know you werent implying honda makes the wrx...just found it funny

and what is soo bad about those cars? good gas mileage reliable and the sports cars (s2000, wrx/sti, rx-7, supras etc etc) are fairly good cars and handle well.

if someone wants to save some time and just post up a recent argument...that works

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
fierospeeder said:
im not saying honda makes wrx

im saying honda, subaru, toyotas, mitsubishi, is all in the poseur sport compact crowd
that dont know shit about cars. thats why they own those cars.
The guy that goes and buy an EVO VIII just for the looks and to be able to say "I own an EVO VIII" fits perfectly your descritpion, and mostly any ricer does. Even the "tuners" that just get an off the shelf turbo kit.

But there are really knowledgeable people out there that can build amazing japanese cars, obviusly, the former crowd is just trying to copy the true tuners...

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
jk750 said:
No prob, you are correct. Different names... Basically, we're dealing with three types of rotors.
1. One piece rotor

2. Two piece conventional, non floating rotor (it may wiggle just a bit, technically not a floater
though it may resemble one)

3. Two piece floating rotor (or 'full' floating, same thing...)
If it ain't got that jingle it ain't gonna float. :cool:

How 'bout some fun with some wet, and dry clutches???

Well, I've always thought:

One piece and two piece rotors = rotor

Floating ones, one piece or two piece = floating rotor

The one piece floating rotors just difer on the way they "float" and obviously, as their pivot is closer to the center their ability to "float" is less than a two piece floating rotor.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts