Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that flip-face helmets are not SNELL approved, however, I also have heard that it is only because they have not been SNELL tested. So my first question is if this is true?

Secondly, with that aside, how are they as far as saftey goes? In comparison to a full face helmet?

Basically, what it comes down to is if I were to crash, would the flip-face helmet be worse than a full face?

THanks for your thoughts:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,025 Posts
there's always a chance the flip face could flip up in a crash and that's not good.

I used to own one and it was heavy.
 

·
Valiant Poultry
Joined
·
15,151 Posts
1. Everything I've read says that no flip face helmets have yet been SNELL approved. However, it is also correct that they haven't been SNELL approved because nobody has submitted one from SNELL testing.

There is one flip face helmet supposedly coming out soon that has been SNELL approved, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out which company makes said helmet.

2. This is kinda arbitrary. Personally, I think if you're in a crash where you have to worry about the front part of a flip face helmet getting destroyed, then chances are the crash is gonna be bad enough that it's gonna probably pretty much destroy a regular helmet too.

3. Being better or worse is gonna be another arbitrary thing. Not many people will have an accurate answer for that. Personally, I would have to skip the flip face. I thought long and hard about getting one, but basicly what made up my mind was the fact that nobody has submitted a flip face for SNELL testing. That says to me that the manufacturer isn't sure the helmet is as safe as a full face...and if the company that makes the helmet doesn't believe in it, then why should I???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine so far. But then, I haven't wrecked with it yet either.

They are heavy and loud though, so when the time comes to replace it, I won't be getting another.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
What's the advantage of a flip-up other than ease of putting it on/off with glasses? You wouldn't ever wear it up would you? Heavy and noisy seem like pretty big disadvantages (plus more $$?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Yes, they have not been submitted for SNELL testing, but it was because of Snell's stance on flip-face helmets. Because the clips that hold the face down can break in an accident, Snell considers them to be the same as an open-face helmet. They refuse to even test open-faced helmets, as they wouldn't even begin to stand up to their tests--not so safe. IMO, a flip-face is a waste of money. I thought about one when I first started, but other than novelty value, they have nothing to offer. They're louder, and can do nothing better than a regular full-face helmet. You can always put your glasses/sunglasses back on AFTER you put your helmet on...It's not THAT hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
452 Posts
RayOSV said:
What's the advantage of a flip-up other than ease of putting it on/off with glasses? You wouldn't ever wear it up would you? Heavy and noisy seem like pretty big disadvantages (plus more $$?).
You can also do things like spit or blow your nose without having to remove the helmet at a stop. Heck, you could even eat without removing your helmet. :)

In Europe, the police use flip-up helmets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Basicly a flip face helmet is a 3/4 helmet with a pretty stiff face shield. If you think of it this way you've pretty much got the right mentality. I've used a number of the flippers for many years. They're fine helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I have heard from some sources that flip-face helmets have a tendency to make certain injuries worse. Besides, most use plastic hinge clips. I think only one manufacturer uses metal. I forget their name, but they are not common in the US. Most of the Euro police departments use their flip style helmets because of the metal hinges. I think it is made by Gallet or something. I am not sure I would trust a flip helmet made for the US market, but the Euro market is something else entirely. Their regular standards they have to comply with equal or surpass Snell in many areas. I MIGHT consider one of these type helmets, but for now my regular full faced is just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
RayOSV said:
What's the advantage of a flip-up other than ease of putting it on/off with glasses? You wouldn't ever wear it up would you? Heavy and noisy seem like pretty big disadvantages (plus more $$?).
Eating, drinking, sneezing, puking. Anything you would normally have to take your helmet off for are easier with a flipper. But yes, heavy and noise are big disadvantages. As for more money, my HJC Sy-Max was only about $225 or so. Not too bad at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gimpdiggity said:
1. Everything I've read says that no flip face helmets have yet been SNELL approved. However, it is also correct that they haven't been SNELL approved because nobody has submitted one from SNELL testing.

There is one flip face helmet supposedly coming out soon that has been SNELL approved, unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out which company makes said helmet.

2. This is kinda arbitrary. Personally, I think if you're in a crash where you have to worry about the front part of a flip face helmet getting destroyed, then chances are the crash is gonna be bad enough that it's gonna probably pretty much destroy a regular helmet too.

3. Being better or worse is gonna be another arbitrary thing. Not many people will have an accurate answer for that. Personally, I would have to skip the flip face. I thought long and hard about getting one, but basicly what made up my mind was the fact that nobody has submitted a flip face for SNELL testing. That says to me that the manufacturer isn't sure the helmet is as safe as a full face...and if the company that makes the helmet doesn't believe in it, then why should I???

Awesome post. Definately made my mind up.

Thanks for all the info guys :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I recently read where a company (not snell) tested some flip-face helmets using some snell requirements and they all seemed to fare rather well...I will try to find the link again...I have also read that european standards eclipse our own DOT/Snell standards...It was this reason that sealed the deal so to speak on my comfort choosing a nolan n100 flip-face helmet...after all if they pass the strictist european standards then I should be just fine
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
Thoth said:
Eating, drinking, sneezing, puking. Anything you would normally have to take your helmet off for are easier with a flipper. But yes, heavy and noise are big disadvantages. As for more money, my HJC Sy-Max was only about $225 or so. Not too bad at all.
If eating or drinking, I'd rather take my helmet off. Now sneezing and puking (not much control over those) could be easier with a flip-up. Cops here use open-face helmets. I imagine the flip-ups offer more protection than open.

I'll still stick with my full-face, thanks.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top