Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I heard some discussion yesterday on the radio that there must be a reason our search teams weren't looking in the same places as the others...

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Who really believes our military doesn't track everything? We know where it went
you've seen too many movies.
but even if they did and they know it's location they'd never tell anyone. it would cause a massive shit storm.

but it doesn't matter with sat data anyone that knows how to interpret the data can find where it went

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I still wanna know how, with some of the most advanced tracking on the planet, you lose a fucking plane.

It just doesn't happen, in my mind.

I cannot think of a reason, however, that is valid enough to justify this train of thought, so I mostly STFU about it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It is a BIG planet. You have to get pretty high in a plane to get a gut feeling for just how big it is. Modern civilian RADAR doesn't find anything. It tr****** a responder that tells the RADAR where it is,
Either the plane was jacked or it went down at sea. If jacked, it was covered with netting to break up it's outline from RADAR satts and visul recon. IF it went down at sea, it's pretty much gone. Seat cushions, the drop down oxygen masks, the little dinners they fix will float to the surface over time but having one spotted is a matter of luck. Eventually a plastic cup will be washed in on the surf but who can tell if it's from the plane or a fishing boat full of drunks?

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I still wanna know how, with some of the most advanced tracking on the planet, you lose a fucking plane.

It just doesn't happen, in my mind.

I cannot think of a reason, however, that is valid enough to justify this train of thought, so I mostly STFU about it.
Yet every night dozens of small planes fly across the US Border.
Big Brother might be watching but BB reports to humans. Or bureaucrats which are almost human. Humans space out, get tired, nap at their work station, etc.
Computers monitor most serious areas but computers are easy to fool.
Don't want to be recognized entering wally world? pull your hoodie up and your cap down.
I could hide an airliner from a RADAR satt by placing tin siding between the airfoils (wings). Just like the computer is programmed to ID people by the distance between features (Ears, nose moth, eyes, etc), the RADAR satt program sees the Angle and length of the wings, distance between the wings and the empennage to determine what sort of aircraft it is. Any thing that obscures those measurements causes the program to filter out that image.
:house

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
And how do you propose someone makes such drastic alterations to an aircraft while it's in the air flying 400 mph?

It had to be aliens. They abducted the plane. That's the only way to explain this.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Easiest answer is that the pilot/co-pilot turned off the transponder thingys (two switches on the control panel) and sabotaged the plane.

The cockpit is closed and locked, and if there had been a hijacking then the pilots would've probably had time to send a distress call.

I can't think of any obvious reason why the pilot/co-pilot would do that though. Maybe suicidal?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
yep. turn off the transponder and the only way someone will see you is by using primary radar, and at that point you're just a dot that may or may not even show up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I could hide an airliner from a RADAR satt by placing tin siding between the airfoils (wings). Just like the computer is programmed to ID people by the distance between features (Ears, nose moth, eyes, etc), the RADAR satt program sees the Angle and length of the wings, distance between the wings and the empennage to determine what sort of aircraft it is. Any thing that obscures those measurements causes the program to filter out that image.

huh?

radar does not use satellites. and that is not how type of aircraft is determined for radar. it's ALL done by the transponder on the aircraft. mode c transponders send altitude, airspeed, and type of aircraft to the receiver at whatever location is tracking the plane with SECONDARY radar. if you turn the transponder off, the only way to see the plane is by primary radar which will just show you a dot on the scope.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
What if it was those two peeps with stolen passports that banked a sharp turn back to the homeland? I don't believe the pilots were in on it. They had no reason. I'm sure the hijackers could have gotten into the cockpit. What if they claimed they had a bomb and we're going to blow the whole bird out of the sky unless the pilots let them in?

Also, wouldn't the plane have some sort of transponder that can't be turned off? Why the hell would they give pilots the ability to disable the transponder?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
well in addition to off or on, it also has standby and ident. so it has four settings really, it can't just be 'on' all the time.

the b***** question is why didn't the pilots squawk 7500(signifies a hijacking)?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Why can't the transponder be on all the time?

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
It is a BIG planet. You have to get pretty high in a plane to get a gut feeling for just how big it is. Modern civilian RADAR doesn't find anything. It tr****** a responder that tells the RADAR where it is,
Either the plane was jacked or it went down at sea. If jacked, it was covered with netting to break up it's outline from RADAR satts and visul recon. IF it went down at sea, it's pretty much gone. Seat cushions, the drop down oxygen masks, the little dinners they fix will float to the surface over time but having one spotted is a matter of luck. Eventually a plastic cup will be washed in on the surf but who can tell if it's from the plane or a fishing boat full of drunks?
Yet every night dozens of small planes fly across the US Border.
Big Brother might be watching but BB reports to humans. Or bureaucrats which are almost human. Humans space out, get tired, nap at their work station, etc.
Computers monitor most serious areas but computers are easy to fool.
Don't want to be recognized entering wally world? pull your hoodie up and your cap down.
Why is it you always have to comment on something you have no factual knowledge about? Go the fuck away.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Why can't the transponder be on all the time?

because it has to be able to switch between on, standby, and ident. it's not possible for it to be functional in the manner it's used without being able to not be "on".

what would it being on all the time achieve? turning it off doesn't make an aircraft vanish, just strips all the data that you get with secondary radar. the aircraft will still show up on primary radar.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts