Sport Bikes banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
EEfz6 said:
I may misspeak, because it has been a while since I read this. One idea to eliminate this was to give a sort of pre refund (if this makes sense) at the beginning of every month.
How would a plan with a monthly "refund" reduce administrative costs?

I'm not as optimistic as Jim on a consumption tax being designed that is not regressive nor manageable.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
BusaDave said:

I'm not as optimistic as Jim on a consumption tax being designed that is not regressive nor manageable.
In theory. I'm perfectly in agreeement that a consumption tax, if instituted, would be intended to benefit the rich at the expense of the poor. I'm just saying that it could be done. Well, in theory.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
BusaDave said:

It would reduce administrative costs because all taxpayers get that same amount mailed to them. Nothing to file proving any income or anything. You would start actually paying tax when you spend above this amount.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
How about NO tax. Most of your money that you pay in taxes doesn't go to pay for anything anyway. Where is goes is to service interest payments on the massive federal debt. In other words it goes straight into the pockets of bankers who created this debt out of thin air. Almost all government services are financed through debt. Since government debt keeps getting b***** and b***** every year eventually one of two things are going to happen. Your taxes will keep going up until it eats away almost all of your income to service these interest payments (payments to bankers who didnt do anything but add an asset to their ledger), or there will be a government default. Since no one can live unless they can buy food and have shelter, a 100 percent tax on income isn't going to work, therefore default will be necessary and inevitable. Discussing HOW (income tax, flat tax, sales tax) we should be taxed instead of WHY we should be taxed in the first place detracts from understanding the nature of the problem.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
jim schmidt said:
I'll think of that next time I'm cruising on the interstate. :rolleyes
You should. Because I bet if you look at what pays for building and maintaining those roads, you'll find not your taxes but Federal block grants that are financed from borrowed money. Research it yourself.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
bugeyed said:
You should. Because I bet if you look at what pays for building and maintaining those roads, you'll find not your taxes but Federal block grants that are financed from borrowed money. Research it yourself.
Hell, when I lived in chicago I did a report in my economics class in highschool on the "tollway"

If memory serves me correctly. The tolls were put in to pay for building the road. They assumed that it would take "X" amount of years to pay for it with "X" amount of traffic. Population expansion blew that out of the water.

Then when the government figured out that it was making alot of money with it, they decided that the tolls should stay to pay for maintenance.

I think back then I calculated it took the average person 2 dollars a day to drive in and out of the city, the skyway bridge excluded. and that typicaly there were at least 8 million cars traveling in and out of the city (I really cant remember the exact numbers now its been so long) Top it off, all the extra expenses of semi truck and what they have to pay. It was astounding to think of how much money the gain daily. I dont know of any road that needs that kind of maintenance. Its abuse really

Why is it that Chicago has just a slightly higher tax rate than where I live in the southwest and yet we can afford freeways instead of tollways? You telling me that broke ass New Mexico can afford to do this but big cities cant?

It generates profits on false pretenses.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts