Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mr Crash :(
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just bought a new house and moved in last wkd :banana

It is now time to invest into a flat screen TV, and since I have never owned a TV in my life, I am a complete n00B... which is why I am hoping we have some experts around here that can point me in the right direction :)

I looked around a little bit, but this tv business is confusing as hell!

So here is what I am looking for:

- budget: around $1500
- tv type: LCD (I want to plug it in my computer to play games and movies, so I understand LCD is better than plasma?)
- tv size: 46" min
- full HD 1080p

FYI: I will be using Charter's digital HD tv package (basic)... not sure if it matters though...

Any advice is welcome! :cheers

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dude - I wouldn't do this myself, but.....

Walmart Black Friday door buster. Get there at 2:00 am.

Samsung 50" flat panel for $700. full 1080p.

Deal with the early morning and dregs of society for 5 hours and be done with it.

It's a steal.

- oh. And I plug my HP media center into the plasma, and it looks fantastic. Bright and beautiful.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Sony and Samsung are among the top rated brands with Consumer Reports for LCD TVs. For your price range you should be able to get a decent LCD. Second thing to remember- when buying the TV don't compare contrast ratios between two different brands, they are calculated differently. If you are going to be playing video games and/or watching sports you want to see if you can get a TV with 120 hertz so you avoid any picture lag.

Depending on how many components you want to hook up, also consider the number of HDMI inputs the tv has.

Lastly- shop around, most stores pricematch local stores. I work part time at Sears selling TVs and we pricematch any store (Best Buy etc.) so do your homework and bring the competitors ad with you and see if you can get a better deal. I know at Sears we match the price and give an additional 10% off if someone has a better price.

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude - I wouldn't do this myself, but.....

Walmart Black Friday door buster. Get there at 2:00 am.

Samsung 50" flat panel for $700. full 1080p.

Deal with the early morning and dregs of society for 5 hours and be done with it.

It's a steal.

- oh. And I plug my HP media center into the plasma, and it looks fantastic. Bright and beautiful.

Thanks man... the only problem is that if Wallmarts is like Best Buys, there will be campers around the store starting Wednesday night (that's what happens in LA), and I am not ready to do that for a few hundred bucks hehe

I am actually looking for a PN... I`ve looked around a little bit and it seems Sony, Panasonic and Samsung have the best LCDs around, but prices are all over the place... I saw a Sony 46" for $1400, but then they also have a 40" for $1800... apparently it's a question of image processing and features? I am so confused it's not funny :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mantis is right - make sure it has the right hook ups and meets your requirements. What I liked about my pioneer was the tuner was separate so it made running cables a cinch.

Let me introduce you to my greeting card theory (Tm):

People stand in the aisle and read every fucking card to find the one that's perfect for the situation.

The person getting the card either doesn't care because they got 10 other cards - OR - is so thrilled you thought about them and got them a card, it didn't really matter which one was best.

So you spent 15 minutes looking for the perfect card when 2 minutes looking at 1 or 2 would have been fine. Reason is because you see them all, you have to pick the best.
Person on the receiving end doesn't give a shit.

Same thing with TV's. You sit there at the local Buy More asking Mr. Bartowski for all the specs and comparing brightness and clarity and blah blah blah.

I guarantee that if you take any one of those home and hang over your fireplace (gas only please) that it will look freaking awesome.

Note #1: Do not look at ads for TV's for at least 6 months after your purchase. Trust me. Make your move and stick to it.

Note #2: Live it. Love it. And use the greeting card theory, works in many situation. But under no circumstance should you share it with people your close to, especially a significant other. Trust me.

Cheers.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Thanks man... the only problem is that if Wallmarts is like Best Buys, there will be campers around the store starting Wednesday night (that's what happens in LA), and I am not ready to do that for a few hundred bucks hehe

I am actually looking for a PN... I`ve looked around a little bit and it seems Sony, Panasonic and Samsung have the best LCDs around, but prices are all over the place... I saw a Sony 46" for $1400, but then they also have a 40" for $1800... apparently it's a question of image processing and features? I am so confused it's not funny :)

The Sony price discrepancy is due to contrast ratio (the ratio of the brightest whites to the darkest dark colors) and refresh rates. The higher end TV's have higher refresh rates (measured in hertz). The models below them usually have 60 htz as opposed to 120 htz.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
I'd agree mostly with jmiller if you're not a videophile.

After you get your first HDTV, you become a little more picky about future ones.

If you're set on LCD, I won't make any suggestions, as I do not like LCDs b***** than 37". Only the two negatives about plasmas - weight and dark room requirement - should sway you towards an LCD in the 37-60" range. Any b***** than 60", you want to go DLP (LED vs SXRD is another debate, but I think you're really looking at a flat-panel).

My suggestion is go with a Vizio plasma from Costco if the room is dark. We're not talking movie-theatre dark... we're just talking about the room looking dim, not like you're in a "sunroom" or such.

Otherwise, the above suggestions are valid. It's hard to go wrong in the 1000-1500 price range. Go cheaper, you may regret it. Go more expensive, the choice gets really difficult.

Don't worry too much about the number of ports on the back. After hooking up 2 devices, you're going to want a switch, especially if you use home theatre equipment.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
Oh, and one last thing.

In blind studies I've read, VERY few people can detect the difference of 720p and 1080p at sizes below 52". It'd be similar to the number of people that can detect the difference of a 128kbps and a 320kbps mp3 on generic earbuds.

Bump that TV up to a 60" and put it on a 1000W Emotiva system, and you'll be able to tell the difference.

Most sets in your price range, nowadays, will come with 1080p... but again, don't make that a deal breaker if you find a nice set with 1080i max.

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Same thing with TV's. You sit there at the local Buy More asking Mr. Bartowski for all the specs and comparing brightness and clarity and blah blah blah.
Nicely done sir, I bet there are only a handful of people who know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
You won't need the extra 30% price hike by going 1080p unless you specifically want to buy / rent and watch Blu-Ray video on a blu-ray player, or PS3.

HD Satellite is lower than 1080p (someone help me 720i or 720p?)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Another vote for Vizio, I have a 50" plazma & a 37" LCD. If there are a "lot" better pictures out there,especially for the money,I am too blind to see it.

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
Well I don't agree with the whole buy the cheap $700 tv. You will notice a difference. Either in features or picture quality or both. You will def. notice a difference if you use it as a computer monitor. I use my 32" LG as a computer monitor. I don't think that walmart tv is going to do it for you. A great 1080i tv would be a better investment over a cheap 1080p one.

If I had to spend your money, I would get the LG 42LG70. It has a fast refresh, high contrast and their image processors are very good. It also has some neat features, like compensating for the lighting in your room, not just the brightness, but the contrast, white balance, color, and all that stuff. (most brands only compensate for brightness) 4 hdmi's which will give you plenty of hookups for dvd player, computer, etc.

It will work very well as a computer monitor. LG is one of the few companies that support and document how to use it that way. When I bought my lg I hooked up a computer to a bravia first and the bravia didn't handle the hdmi computer signal right. The edges kept cutting off. The lg worked perfect without any effort. Disclaimer, I have a friend who works in a high end store that specializes in home theatre setups so I got to play around with things more than most people do.

The sony bravia tv's are nice but I would try one out to make sure the computer signal works first. Some tv's don't have the drivers built in as a cost thing and they won't work well as a monitor. Obviously you can't do this at best buy, but a home theatre store should be able to help.

LG LCD Flat Panel - Model 42LG70: TV|Audio|Video > LCD Flat Panel > 42LG70

Go look at it and see what you think, I think it fits with what you need.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
A 32" TV usually only has a max resolution of 1920x1080. And that's *if* it's 1080p.

Ugh @ using that for PC use. I use 1680x1050 on a 22" at work and 1920x1200 on my 24" at home. Apple's 30" display is 2560x1600. I don't like icons the size of my head.

sqchram: no channels broadcast in 1080p yet... many do broadcast 1080i though. Direct TV has the capability, however, as you can get On Demand movies in 1080p.

Same with Netflix on Xbox 360, and Comcast On Demand.

·
butt marker
1,715 Posts
A 32" TV usually only has a max resolution of 1920x1080. And that's *if* it's 1080p.

Ugh @ using that for PC use. I use 1680x1050 on a 22" at work and 1920x1200 on my 24" at home. Apple's 30" display is 2560x1600. I don't like icons the size of my head.
ummm, how far away do you sit from your tv? It sounds like you are really close. If he is getting a 42 inch, he probably doesn't intend to sit 2 feet away from it like you are. At the ideal viewing distance, the icons will be the right size at 1080p resolution (yes even 720p). I have no problems with my 32 inch at 720p with 60hz refresh rate. I have been using hdtv's as monitors for 5 years now with no issues. My icons look the same as on any other computer screen. Just make sure you use an hdmi video card or a newer video card that will support an adapter.

The idea of using a larger monitor is so that you can be farther away. The ideal viewing distance for tv viewing is 4-5x the diagonal measurement. So 15' for a 42 inch tv. Using it as a monitor he will probably want to be about half of that. But either way, you sure as heck don't need a higher resolution like that apple unless you are sitting really close.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
Oh, you're saying you're using your PC as a media center/web TV type thing. Gotcha.

I thought you meant you were using it as your desktop monitor. My bad :)

The idea of having a 24"+ monitor for a geek like me is real estate. I can have two windows fully open on the same screen (or 4 or more with multiple panels) to do development tasks and view them in real time without having to flip around windows.

Edit: I don't know too many people that have a 7' deep desk. In fact, I can't think of anyone that has a 7 foot deep desk.

·
IM A DAD
1,627 Posts
get a sony bravia or panasonic, make sure it has a usb port on the side so you can view pics on your tv screen. i also hooked my computor to mine and use it as a moniter

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sony and Samsung are among the top rated brands with Consumer Reports for LCD TVs. For your price range you should be able to get a decent LCD. Second thing to remember- when buying the TV don't compare contrast ratios between two different brands, they are calculated differently. If you are going to be playing video games and/or watching sports you want to see if you can get a TV with 120 hertz so you avoid any picture lag.

Depending on how many components you want to hook up, also consider the number of HDMI inputs the tv has.

Lastly- shop around, most stores pricematch local stores. I work part time at Sears selling TVs and we pricematch any store (Best Buy etc.) so do your homework and bring the competitors ad with you and see if you can get a better deal. I know at Sears we match the price and give an additional 10% off if someone has a better price.

Excellent advice, thanks!

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mantis is right - make sure it has the right hook ups and meets your requirements. What I liked about my pioneer was the tuner was separate so it made running cables a cinch.

Let me introduce you to my greeting card theory (Tm):

People stand in the aisle and read every fucking card to find the one that's perfect for the situation.

The person getting the card either doesn't care because they got 10 other cards - OR - is so thrilled you thought about them and got them a card, it didn't really matter which one was best.

So you spent 15 minutes looking for the perfect card when 2 minutes looking at 1 or 2 would have been fine. Reason is because you see them all, you have to pick the best.
Person on the receiving end doesn't give a shit.

I guarantee that if you take any one of those home and hang over your fireplace (gas only please) that it will look freaking awesome.

Note #1: Do not look at ads for TV's for at least 6 months after your purchase. Trust me. Make your move and stick to it.

Note #2: Live it. Love it. And use the greeting card theory, works in many situation. But under no circumstance should you share it with people your close to, especially a significant other. Trust me.

Cheers.

Yeah I always tell my wife she spends way too much time choosing greeting cards when ppl really don't give a shit... however, buying a tv is a bit different than buying a greeting card... while a greeting card is a greeting card, I don`t want to spend $1500 on a tv that won`t make me happy... for example, I`ve seen $1500 tvs with obvious lag on fast moving image, or obvious pixels showing, or no PC input etc... so while I wouldn`t give a shit about a greeting card, I`d like to spend a little time understanding the pros and cons of a TV before I buy it :)

Thanks for the advice though :cheers

·
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I don't agree with the whole buy the cheap $700 tv. You will notice a difference. Either in features or picture quality or both. You will def. notice a difference if you use it as a computer monitor. I use my 32" LG as a computer monitor. I don't think that walmart tv is going to do it for you. A great 1080i tv would be a better investment over a cheap 1080p one.

If I had to spend your money, I would get the LG 42LG70. It has a fast refresh, high contrast and their image processors are very good. It also has some neat features, like compensating for the lighting in your room, not just the brightness, but the contrast, white balance, color, and all that stuff. (most brands only compensate for brightness) 4 hdmi's which will give you plenty of hookups for dvd player, computer, etc.

It will work very well as a computer monitor. LG is one of the few companies that support and document how to use it that way. When I bought my lg I hooked up a computer to a bravia first and the bravia didn't handle the hdmi computer signal right. The edges kept cutting off. The lg worked perfect without any effort. Disclaimer, I have a friend who works in a high end store that specializes in home theatre setups so I got to play around with things more than most people do.

The sony bravia tv's are nice but I would try one out to make sure the computer signal works first. Some tv's don't have the drivers built in as a cost thing and they won't work well as a monitor. Obviously you can't do this at best buy, but a home theatre store should be able to help.

LG LCD Flat Panel - Model 42LG70: TV|Audio|Video > LCD Flat Panel > 42LG70

Go look at it and see what you think, I think it fits with what you need.
That's the type of advice I was looking for... thanks a lot bro!

A LOT of the video I`ll be watching will come from the computer, so it is indeed important that the TV works well with my PC...
I think this one is the one I need :) LG LCD Flat Panel - Model 47LG70: TV|Audio|Video > LCD Flat Panel > 47LG70

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts