Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spent my Saturday afternoon, evening, night taking a "joyride" from Pinellas Park to Daytona and back. The trip totaled 386.7 miles and left about 50,000 bugs dead, lol. Left the apartment at 12:50 Saturday afternoon and returned home at 12:05 Sunday morning. Despite the extreme heat, I wore my 'Stich and was actually pretty comfortable while running....'twas hell when I was stopped, heh heh. With the exception of the start and finish, the entire trip consisted of US Highways, State Roads, and County Roads.

Here's the route track from my Garmin Quest:

It wasn't the greatest route, but there were many scenic areas and, yes, some curvies to have fun with. As luck would have it, traffic spoiled the fun in many areas, but after dark, it was awesome...especially on SR471 heading back home- dead straight, no traffic, moon shining, lightning in the distant clouds (not on my route), cool breeze...you get the picture. The Quest had me running some tiny two lane county roads that were VERY nice twisties with overhanging trees...almost like being in a tunnel at points.

Met some cool older folks hanging out at a park overlooking the Daytona strip and playing their instruments; they were holding a memorial service for their mandolin player, who had just passed. A few of them walked over and chatted for a bit- they ALL had been or currently were riders from as early as the '40's! They invited me for pizza and a drink, but I had to respectfully decline since the time was getting late. I also received MANY compliments on the Fizzer...nearly everyone asked what it was; one old guy thought it was a beemer. :D Of course, saw many squids running about, doing their squidly things (splitting lanes at high speed, wheelies, the works, lol). Somehow, I managed to just miss all the random thunderstorms, but ran into numerous wet roads; Daytona was sunny and nice.

I took MANY breaks for water and stretching, which in conjunction with the county road running, accounted for the extreme length of time the trip took. The run home from Daytona started at sundown, after a stop at McD's. On the way home, I stopped to clean my helmet's shield twice, yet I still ended up in the garage like this, lol:

The Quest w/RAM mount and Garmin motorcycle kit works VERY well! This view is off center a bit, but when in riding position, my view of the speedo is not hindered (heh heh, my old front plastics are on the floor, on that paper):

The end result:

Incidently, for the fans "in the know", yes, that's an OLD KROQ key chain...had it since the '80's, lol.

Not much of a picture taker, but I got a few. These are just linked since the forum is limiting images:

At Leesburg - these two fathers and their kids literally started fishing minutes before I snapped this and ALREADY had two catches, lol:
Lake at Leesburg

My Fizzer:
Happy Fizzy

Daytona looking north, the beach pennisula is to the right:
Off Highway 1

The southernmost bridge going across to the beaches:
Daytona South Bridge

By pure chance, caught an interesting self-portrait, lol:
Burnspot getting heated

Funny, I didn't get any beach pics, lol. Couldn't go ride on the beach anyway...high tide. Oh well.

The debrief on this trip was that it was a lot of fun...hot...but fun. The Fizzy performed well and got to "stretch" its legs at quite a few places. ;) My Corbin was great- while my ass was still sore at the end of the ride (crap, it was 12 hours, lol), it was nowhere NEAR what my ass was like with the stock seat....I don't think I would've been able to make 200 miles on the stock one. There were TONS AND TONS of bugs, heh heh, making me glad I always have my gear on- some of the b***** bugs pack quite a punch. My hands fared well with my Grip Puppies in place; however, my right thumb decided to get numb despite plenty of "relaxation"- it's still numb 2 hours later, lol. The only real close call I had on the entire trip was when I was slabbing it through Tampa on the way back home...had some guy decide to join my lane while I was still in it and RIGHT BESIDE his window. Even after beeping my horn and him finally seeing me, he CONTINUED moving into my lane (from middle lane to left lane)...quick spurt of speed got me out of that one. Other than that, a nice little ride and I feel damn good (earplugged the whole trip).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sounds like a nice day... Too many bugs... That sheild is gross.... Toss it out and get a new one! :lol

How is that thumb doing now...

Hope to do a nice long ride once I get my bike back from the stealership....
Lately though, on longer rides I notice my ankles for some reason getting real stiff and sore... Didn't used to happen... Maybe it is old age setting in...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never had much problem with the ankles getting stiff- they're encased in my Oxtar boots, but I move them around as much as possible while enroute.

The thumb still has some tingling left in it, many hours later. It'll take a day or two to wear off, lol.

Yes, the bugs are quite thick down here, but the only thing that really sucks is when the shield is set to the vent position....had a few bugs get in and wriggle around. ;) Apparently, I had a rather large bug smack me then fall down on the seat just behind the tank....there was a LARGE yellow/brownish gooey spot (no puns please, lol), with wings, left on the seat when I got off the bike.

Hippie said:
Sounds like a nice day... Too many bugs... That sheild is gross.... Toss it out and get a new one! :lol

How is that thumb doing now...

Hope to do a nice long ride once I get my bike back from the stealership....
Lately though, on longer rides I notice my ankles for some reason getting real stiff and sore... Didn't used to happen... Maybe it is old age setting in...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts