Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally got around to doing a Ridesmart Trackday at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth.

Needless to say I only got a 1/2 day in. But Man was it Fun.

I rode in the Group 1(Beginners), the first session was going pretty good. We did Round Robin following the instructors to show us the lines. TMS has a few sealant Patches that spooked me but in the debrief the instructors said that grip was good.

Session 2 the instructor followed you. I Got in 2 laps at a decent pace to get my tires warm and then I started to ride my own pace. We were allowed to pass on the front strait only, which was difficult against the New 600SS and the liter bikes but I made good headway by carrying more corner speed and holding tighter lines. They would pull my on the straights and pew they'd be gone, I wouldn't catch them until the brakeing zone. I finally got in to a group of 4 guys and passed them one by one in the braking zone going into turn 1. (Which I wasn't sure why a VFR can out brake an R1, F4i and Gxr1000 :nuts ) All Safe Clean Passes. I cleared the goup in 4 laps and was on my own. I set sail and continued to ride my own pace. At the end of the session I was feeling pretty confident and was taking turn 1 at the pace i had been all day, Finished my braking and was in a comofortable lean and a graduall throddle roll at a moderate lean angle it seemed both tires just washed out resulting in a ~30-40 mph lowside. I slid off the track and stopped in the gravel. I quickly looked the damage over, I Bent the Clipon and Broke my Fnt Brake Lever, everthing else was intact including myself :lol .

I spoke with the instructor after the session and he mentioned that I enter the corner perfict, but He said I move around on the seat mid corner. Which I didn't know I did. He also said this upsets the suspension. Which may be a contriputing factor to my (**Cough**) Incedent.

Funny thing was, It didn't seem as though I was pushing or charging corners. Or riding over my head. To me I was clearly under my 70% ability/speed. I do remember Draggin both my Toe and Knee slider before going down. I was well off the bike too, I probably ran out of Ground Clearance.

Even with the crash I had tons of fun and learned lots too. I'll fix my bike and be ready for the next one. :D

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Everyone crashes at the track eventually. Not always on their first day though :lol

As long as you had fun and learned something it wasn't time or money wasted. If you wanna get semi-serious into it, they do sell VFR track bodywork that is alot easier to repair than plastic, and you can just throw on that bodywork before a trackday to save your stock bodywork.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Congrats on your first day!!!!!!!!! It is tons of fun and you should be on a high now like none other...at least that's the way it was for me for a month!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you are ok from your incident!! :)

Many happy return track days to you!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Nice report! Next time get some pics!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V V V said:
Nice report! Next time get some pics!
Will do. I think they were taking Pictures at the track. It was an early day for me, I left at 5:15am to get there, I'm luckey I remembered Gas. :lol

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
good deal, i guess.....sorry about the crash.........thats why we got the SV, better for trackdays.

friend of mine runs in the fast/race group w/ his vfr800, but it's hard, and he'd damm good.......he's getting a 1000rr, i think he outta get an SV and keep the VFR.

VFR's don't crash well........$$$

and i agree w/ the inst. try and get into your cornering position before you start turning in.........

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with the $$$ part. I can temp, fix just about everything on it but. I'll buy a part here or there and Fix it right and Next year get a Dedicated Track bike.

I'd love to get a track preped F4i. They should be more common since the 600rr is getting more good race parts and people want to get a newer race bike.

The good thing about the off, It was on the side I already had a crash on. So the plastic was already messed up :lol I had to replace that stuff anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts