Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night I decided to go for a little ride and kinda let the road take me wherever. It turned out to be my first time in the twisties. Not twisties by the standards of an experienced rider but twisties (for a n00b) none-the-less.

I did a 90 mile loop with about 40 of it having some nice curves including 20 miles of country road following a river with almost no traffic. I took it easy and stayed close to the posted speed limit in the curves (nothing more than 10 mph over) so it didn't take any serious lean but I REALLY enjoyed getting to move with bike and just flow down the road! Most of the trip was in the hills/mountains so there are a lot of blind corners but the scenery was nice.

The only part I was apprehensive about was a 10 mile down hill section - with the bike not slowing down much when I let off the throttle, I tried to really take it easy incase of a decreasing radius.

I'll likely make the same trip again this week and, as I get to know the road more, I'll get into the corners a little harder.
One of these days I'll work up to some real twisties and have more to talk about then.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah, when I first got on my I was nervous to about the leans and taken it easy. But with time and experiance you hit the leans like a champ.

Practice make perfect, but just because you ride the road everyday, don't mean its going to be the same everyday.

Be careful, be safe and enjoy.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I tried to take my bike out the other night into some turns, but as it turned out there was a bunch of construction going on and the pavement was anything but even. Not exactly condusive to having fun, lets put it that way!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Also watch out for the roads that have the "crown" in the middle(part in the middle of the lane that is higher that the two tracks where cars drive) I found myself going on the shoulder once, because of that, it was like a mountian and I got out of the groove. It throws off your lean--at least for me it did--found myself on the shoulder of the road no problems but a little scared after that.

I need someone to ride behind me and tell me how my position is and what I need to work on.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almight Jason & Ghost Rider - thanks for the tips. These are things I probably wouldn't give enough thought to before I went out there again.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like you had a good time, just take it easy and get to know the road and you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts