Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as i've read many many times - "there are those who have gone down and those that will." I have now hit the pavement.

I've been riding for 2 years now, about 19,000 miles of accident free riding and mostly back country corner carving.

I was going down River Rd in right after crossing the james river where there's a blind turn. Right after the apex of the turn there was a traffic jam and stopped cars. I was doing the speed limit oddly enough. I squeeze the front brake and she locks up, I let off a little and used both the front and back. Eventually i realized there was no way i was going to stop so i just locked the back and let it slide out from under me. There was no shoulder to go down and there was oncoming traffic. Rather than hitting the car I just bailed - it was the only choice.

I was wearing my leather jacket/gloves/helmt and jeans. I got up realized i was fine and picked the HEAVY ass bike up. A guy in the oncoming lane jumped out of his truck and helped me get it up. Everyone was asking if I needed an ambulance or anything but I was fine. Started it up eventually and rode it a few miles home with no front brake lever or shifter peg, just took it easy home.

Lessons learned.
1) Gear will save your ass
2) You'll prolly drop your bike due to circumstances outside of your control.
3) You will fall.
4) Fix the bike and learn from your mistakes and realize where certain situations arise.

I should have known that area backs up occasionally, but at 3pm? Who would have thought.

The bike needs the following: Left fairing, repaint front fairing and tail, shifter peg, brake lever, front turn signals.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Glad to hear your alright. I go to vcu...hate to see a local rider go down but glad your alright

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Glad you're ok!
I did something similar right after I started riding several years ago. I locked up the
front wheel unintentionally on a cold November morning 50 yards from my house. 25mph.
A car blew a stop sign to my right and I panicked, grab too much front brake on cold tires and went down like a ton of bricks.

My meager but full gear saved me completely. No frame sliders to save the 750s fairing and engine case. :eek:

One thing I learned was you can always stop shorter if you don't lock the brakes and lay it down
but instead, threshold brake and steer to avoid.

But every accident is unique. Get back on the road in time for VIR!!!

Ride safe!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Glad to see you are ok. Hate blind corners like that. TONS of those on the roads in SD..but with them you have a mountain on one side and a 100ft drop-off on the other...scary to say the least

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry to hear about ur spill dude, glad you're ok.....hearing so many stories like these are discouraging for a newb such as myself....I"m taking it very easy on the road right now, still in my paranoid stage.....I find myself always covering the brake and clutch, and always go through in my mind the process for emergency braking....but survival reactions are just that! I'd have probably done the same in your situation. Glad you're ok though!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Well, I'm glad your ok. that's my main concern, always!.. the bike sound really simple to fix, so that's also a good thing... I'll add my own #'s to your thread for the n00bs

#1 your going to fall
#2 your going to fall
#3 your going to fall
#4 your going to fall.. :lol sorry all, it happens to the best of us, and above is a prime example...

again, i'm glad your ok!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oscarcolumbo said:
no broken bones, no road rash...you are all good....you can always fix the bike....did you have frame sliders?

frame slider snapped off like a lego attachment and cracked the shit out of my left fairing :angy

I go to vcu as well (engineering)

I really had no choice to lay it down. I just couldn't get enough traction to stop in time. I had both brakes right at the threshold and it wasn't going to cut it. I'll pass on slamming into the back of a car and going through the back window...Sliding on the asphault really isn't that bad with gear on.

The only thing I can't imagine is IF my g/f was on the back. I'm buying a leather jacket and gloves for her as soon as my bike is road worthy again. I'd never be able to forgive myself for messing up her beautiful body even if it was out of my control.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like it could have been alot worse, just glad that you are alright.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
pondo said:
The only thing I can't imagine is IF my g/f was on the back. I'm buying a leather jacket and gloves for her as soon as my bike is road worthy again. I'd never be able to forgive myself for messing up her beautiful body even if it was out of my control.

I'm going through this right now, my wife was with me when I downed mine, neither of us were wearing leathers. She ended up with major bruising and a broken collar bone. I feel like shit and have since last thursday when it happened.

Seems the only thing she's worried about though is the doc said no sex for 4-6 weeks because it could rebrake.... :cool: :D Thats my wife, el realmente uber nympho....... "spanish, german, english sentence:

·
Registered
994 Posts
At least your o.k. Lesson's don't come cheap! Bikes have replaceable parts; people don't.

Could you please elaborate on the path of the bike after you laid it down? Did it hit the car you were trying to avoid (in my experience bikes slide\roll\bounce a lot farther when they don't have the rubber side down)? Did you hit anything other than road?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ghost Rider said:
At least your o.k. Lesson's don't come cheap! Bikes have replaceable parts; people don't.

Could you please elaborate on the path of the bike after you laid it down? Did it hit the car you were trying to avoid (in my experience bikes slide\roll\bounce a lot farther when they don't have the rubber side down)? Did you hit anything other than road?

The bike ended up underneath the car infront of me wedged under the chicks gastank (SUV). It caused her absolutely no damage and just broke a few stupid things (brake lever, the plastic cover over the front ram air tube, and some scratched on the front plastics). After I got up off the asphault, I had to ask her to pull up so i could pick my bike up...haha...

Now that I look back on things, its kinda funny

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
pondo said:
2) You'll prolly drop your bike due to circumstances outside of your control.
That is a complete copout, newbies drop their bikes because of newbie mistakes, not because of situations out of their control.

·
Registered
55 Posts
firefighter81 said:
That is a complete copout, newbies drop their bikes because of newbie mistakes, not because of situations out of their control.
True for some, but certainly not in all cases. Firefighter, just out of curiousity...what have you had for drops and what were the circumstances, any gear on at the time, what bike, how many yrs riding prior to accident etc.? I know you're always preaching so I am just curious to see your personal experiences. Sorry for the hijacking PM me if you want instead.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Stop with the "Everyone falls"...
Everyone does NOT fall and I think I'm with ff about it being the riders fault most of the time. Again not absolutely all of the time but more times then not it's rider error. :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Dave Despain hasn't been down yet, in 40+ years on the street.

Nicky Hayden went down last Sunday...

I wish Nicky would post up about his 'accident' so many of the usual suspects could pile on him about his lack
of riding experience.

After all, he's 23 years old, been riding streetbikes only a few years now and he's riding some crazy ass (near) liter bike!

No wonder he went down....

:joke

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
firefighter81 said:
+1

what were the road conditions?

sounds like you tried to brake while leaned over?

what was the speed limit?

fyi, squid killer , fellow msf inst. has 200,000 mi, and has never been down.
me 1x in 50k

·
Registered
994 Posts
pondo said:
The bike ended up underneath the car infront of me wedged under the chicks gastank (SUV). It caused her absolutely no damage and just broke a few stupid things (brake lever, the plastic cover over the front ram air tube, and some scratched on the front plastics). After I got up off the asphault, I had to ask her to pull up so i could pick my bike up...haha...

Now that I look back on things, its kinda funny
Well that's one way to meet chicks, and I bet you even got her phone number :D .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
firefighter81 said:

If a car runs a redlight and t-bones you does that make you a newbie as well? Not EVERYTHING is under your control in this world. Sure I could have decided not to ride that day, not to go down that street ect...I don't care how much riding experience you have, what happened to me can happen to anyone. The woman in front of me rear ended the car infront of her so not even she had enough time to stop...

I'd also say riding hard for 18,000 miles takes me semi-out of the newbie stereotype. I wear gear, I dont wheelie down the highway during rush hour wearing flip flops, beater and some board shorts, I ride for the enjoyment. I'm no glama-rider.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts