Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was riding to work in a.m. rush hour traffic.

Everything was fine until I merged onto a four-lane highway

I should have realized my merge would not be seen by the cagers already on the highway.

Sure enough, an SUV in the lane-- to my left -- starts to slowly enter my lane.

I didn't panic, but gave him a toot.

He went back in his lane quickly

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Good that you stayed calm. But you should always anticipate people not seeing you and coming at you. Don't rely on that horn though. That could get you hurt.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Il be installing a diesel truck horn for that reason

eh not really but it sure would scare the shit out of em:D

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, it was scary though!

at least I can sorta understand him not seeing me, since I'd just entered the freeway.

I'll be more careful next time I merge...give cagers time to see me before switching lanes

And I won't rely on the horn!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Glad to see you made it out of that one.

I've had that happen to me 4 times in the past week and a 1/2.You would think that the people in my world and yours would be more laid back with there driving(I've driven in your world)...........but oh know,these morons are worse than the ones in LA.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Good for you. Just realize that each situation is different and you cannot rely on previous methods of accident avoidance. Keep on your toes, keep your wits and always stay a step ahead. If all else fails, drop the hammer!!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Pull a handful of pennies out of your pocket.
Get in front of him and loft them up in the air and say :upyours
:boid :devil

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh-heh... but I'm small and I'd get my ass beat at the next light.

yes I will remember each situation is different..had he simply ripped into my lane it could have been very bad.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
MT Wallet said:

yes I will remember each situation is different..had he simply ripped into my lane it could have been very bad.

hehehehe...walk lightly and have a SWAt team as back up is my motto.....:lol

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
MT Wallet said:

Sorry.. Thought you were on a freeway...

Note: The penny lofting is only recomended for highway/freeway driving.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I live in a rather big city with lots of traffic in most areas. So I lost track how many times this has happened. It's almost normal here. I don't even bother honking just slow down and try to get the fuck away from them. Either slowing down or speeding up to get past him/her.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
happens all the time around here, gotta keep an eye out for the other drivers all the time

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks people I am always scanning but Hawaii drivers are much much worse now.

hope it doesn't happen too often.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey.. do you have an aftermarket pipe? Just curious because this is one of the reasons I gave my wife for wanting a pipe.. so it can be lound enough for people to hear if I'm in their blind spot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've never used my horn, they way I ride I would have been prepared for him and gotten ahead / behind. I never merge with a car next to me and I always pass quickly.

Don't ever ride next to a car on a bike.

·
Registered
200 Posts
BrownRob said:
Hey.. do you have an aftermarket pipe? Just curious because this is one of the reasons I gave my wife for wanting a pipe.. so it can be lound enough for people to hear if I'm in their blind spot.

Don't be a fool they're not going to hear you if even their ac is blasting, not to mention music, just learn to ride properly.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Meh2u said:
Don't be a fool they're not going to hear you if even their ac is blasting, not to mention music, just learn to ride properly.
You can ride properly all you want but there will be times when (due to traffic) you can't go ahead of a car.. I was just asking since I've heard that loud pipes can help (not that it's the only solution).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Probably the same everywhere else, but in PA, people don't know what "merge" means. I find this information helps keep me alert and "on my toes" knowing I have to be the one to "make the move."

This has no bearing where the encroachers are concerned, of course.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts