Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a huge newbie...Anyone from maryland know where I can take one of those newbie classes so I dont have to go to the DMV and shit? around 20878

·
Registered
560 Posts
Motorcycle Safety Foundation

There's a list of courses in MD from the MSF site. I'm sure there may be others though too.
The MSF course I took here in NY given by Tramas was $350 for a Fri,Sat,Sun class. Well worth it. You get a lot of helpful insight, insurance discount and also get your license at the end.

You still have to go to the DMV and get your permit in order to take the class though.

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
I know a little bit. ;-)

All the schools open up next March. You can register for my school, The Rider School, now. I can also answer any questions you have here, or you can call me at the school, 410.772.4186. Check out our video at YouTube - RiderSchool's Channel

Basic Rider Course prices range from $175 at MVA provided centers to $350 at Harley Dealers. MVA is closing most sites this year.

I don't make commission, BTW. And there are several other schools that I think are very good. Where is that zip code?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn all the schools open up in march? wtf? I want to get my license by at least january....I dont want to wait until march unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
take a vacation to somewhere south and plan to take the class down there... if they do that. When it comes to politics, don't listen to a word Jim says :neener When it comes to riding, he knows his shit. Take the class. Don't get so antsy to get riding that you take unnecessary risks, one of which would be riding on public roads before you're ready.

Do you have any motorcycling experience at all? Dirtbikes, quads, mopeds, anything at all? Most state's you can get a learner's permit which permits you to ride during daylight hours, with a helmet (regardless of your state's helmet laws), no passengers, no freeways, etc... before you get your full license. If you've ridden at all and you get a 250, that might be a good option UNTIL you can take the MSF course in the spring. If not, don't take any chances.

Gear up (helmet, gloves, motorcycling boots, MOTORCYCLING jacket, riding pants, etc...), ride safe, have fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've looked around for friends and found that most of the local colleges have MSF courses. They range around $250-350 because use of their bike is included. Permit is not required because it takes place on private property. If you're taking the beginner class, they teach assuming nobody in the class has prior experience with a bike.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Damn all the schools open up in march? wtf? I want to get my license by at least january....I dont want to wait until march unless I absolutely have to.
Damn, you want to get your license in January!? We don't want to stand out there for two days until at least mid-March. :lao

Points for enthusiasm though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I wont be riding in cold ass weather, but some of the days around here are in the 50's, so january it should be around that. I wouldnt want to even think about riding everywhere without taking the MSF course, But I mean march is over 3 months away, that just sucks.

I do intend to wear most of the equipment that is recommended, the only thing I probably wont would be boots. I F'ing hate boots.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well I wont be riding in cold ass weather, but some of the days around here are in the 50's, so january it should be around that. I wouldnt want to even think about riding everywhere without taking the MSF course, But I mean march is over 3 months away, that just sucks.

I do intend to wear most of the equipment that is recommended, the only thing I probably wont would be boots. I F'ing hate boots.
at least think about the A* or Sidi riding shoes. They look like high top basketball shoes but have ankle protection.

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
I took mine at PG community college, where abouts in MD are you? go to that site and find out where the courses are held and how much they cost.

You will need over the ankle boots to be on the range.

·
Information Sponge
1,447 Posts

get boots / proper riding shoes man; you may hate 'em, but you'll enjoy having feet if you have a wreck.

There used to be a great website, ridetodie.com that had crazy pictures of crazy accidents. It was graphic, it was disgusting, it was f'ing powerful.

One of the pics was of a guy (dead) on the highway; he had jacket, textile pants, helmet, gloves etc. on. He had no feet. The tennis shoes / high-tops he had been wearing came off when he impacted a car, and he ground both feet off to the ankle.

I know you're only talking about the MSF; but it's good to get into great habits early! ATGATT!

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
holy crap this is past due for update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts