Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The model specific sub forums on SBN are mostly dead except for the ZZR600 and FZ6, you'll need to check an actual model or manufacturer specific forum for the best info about exhausts. A slip on is probably all you really need to change the sound, and they're a lot cheaper and less likely to cause warranty grief if you need to get warranty work done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
HMMM Awesome info. Thanks for all of that guys! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely take that into consideration. One reason I would like a full exhaust vs slip-on is if I am going to spend the money on it, I'd much rather spend double for the extra power. I'm one of those guys that if I am going to spend some money on something like that, I want the best possible upgrade. Obviously not a full blown $2k system, but I don't like to half-ass anything. I have seen dyno numbers and for a slip on, you get like 3hp. For a full exhaust, you get around 6-8hp

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If you want more power, buy a 750 or a 1000.

Get the 636, get a slip-on, spend the money you'd burn on your full system on a good tune from someone who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If you want more power, buy a 750 or a 1000.

Get the 636, get a slip-on, spend the money you'd burn on your full system on a good tune from someone who knows what they're doing.
Read my first post on the thread. A 750 is not an option. I have never owned an SS so I'm not sure if I should go with a liter bike. It's not all about power. That's not the issue. I'm just looking for the best all around 600cc SS. I'm going to put on an exhaust and if I am going to spend the coin for it, I might aswell do it right with the full exhaust. I don't want to spend $400 just for sound. I'll spend the extra cash for sound AND performance

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Modern sportbikes really gain very little power from exhausts. It's not like the old days where a full system netted huge hp gains, it's mostly for the sound, so the full systems are a waste of money IMO considering how expensive they are.

I'm not sure how these particular bikes are setup, but the only time you'll see a huge difference between a slip on and a full system is if the bike has a separate silencer and catalytic converter like mine. Some bikes have the cat and the silencer as one unit, so by replacing the silencer, you're also eliminating the cat which will net you a b***** power gain. So in that case all a full system really gives you extra over the slip on is slightly larger diameter piping from the engine to the midpipe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
a full system is usually bought for the purpose of replacing the normally separate-from-the-silencer-cat and to combine with a fully tunable power commander.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You will get slightly more gains from a full system, but the even b***** advantage in my eyes is the weight savings. Usually twice as much weight loss compared to a slip on. Even though the weight is mostly down low you can feel the difference

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think you'll want ABS given your cruiser background. A cruiser will accept much more rear braking before lock-up than a SS. If you're accustomed to using the rear brake, it's likely that in a panic stop on the SS you'll instinctively stomp down on the rear and lock it. At that point, you'll need to keep it locked until you come to a full stop or risk going down.

ABS can help you avoid that kind of problem.

Regarding storage - I live in a rural area. My last bike was parked in the breezeway area of our barn out behind our house. There's a quiet dirt road that runs behind it. Someone came through our back gate late one night and stole my bike.

I wouldn't risk keeping your new SS in your backyard unless you're going to chain it to something substantial, like a tree or a hungry Doberman.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Without large amounts of track time, specialized training, and natural ability none of us can come close to utilizing the performance limits of any modern supersport, so forget about that unless you just like to brag on what your bike can do.

Get the one that feels and looks best to you.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
OK... before I even ride the bike. I'm going to get a full exhaust. No way am I going to ride the bike with it sounding like that. No Slip-Ons for me. So what is a good exhaust to get. I know what exhaust is good with cruisers, but SS bikes, I don't know. IIRC, decent exhaust are Two Brothers & Yoshimira. Great exhaust would be Leo Vince.. I'm looking to spend around $600-$800 for an exhaust system. I suppose I would need a Fuel Commander too. Those will probably set me back $400, right? I'll get the bike with the exhaust and then add the fuel commander on the next paycheck.

So I see that Vance & Hines makes an exhaust for a 636. LOL I know Vance & Hines is a GREAT exhaust for cruisers, because I have the Big Shots on my cruiser, but probably not for an SS.

I would like to have a carbon fiber can. Doesn't need to be for the most performance or anything, just needs to have a GREAT sound, with performance obviously. I'm not taking this to the track ever so a couple HP isn't going to matter to me. Oh yeah, here in Oklahoma, we don't have emissions testing. In Dallas, we do. I don't think it matters with bikes as far as emissions testing though. I haven't ever had my V-Star 1300 inspected. :) I also prefer a smaller can, than say a larger one.

Oh and I want to say this... LOUDER THE BETTER!
so you basically want a sport bike for looks and you want to make it sound like an obnoxious cruiser? make sure you get a matching dew rag and flip flops. I would recommend an extended swingarm as well to complete the package.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
so you basically want a sport bike for looks and you want to make it sound like an obnoxious cruiser? make sure you get a matching dew rag and flip flops. I would recommend an extended swingarm as well to complete the package.
I am surprised you didn't mention to change his title from "Sales Manager" to "Squid Manager"

·
Registered
729 Posts
Oh and I want to say this... LOUDER THE BETTER!

So why not just go with a straight pipe? That's as loud (and cheap) as you can get.

(I'm having trouble figuring out just what you want from a sport bike. Is your intention to enjoy riding a high performance machine, or to look cool, or to piss off as many other motorists as possible?)

Reactions: PhilB

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
HMMM Awesome info. Thanks for all of that guys! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely take that into consideration. One reason I would like a full exhaust vs slip-on is if I am going to spend the money on it, I'd much rather spend double for the extra power. I'm one of those guys that if I am going to spend some money on something like that, I want the best possible upgrade. Obviously not a full blown $2k system, but I don't like to half-ass anything. I have seen dyno numbers and for a slip on, you get like 3hp. For a full exhaust, you get around 6-8hp
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Full systems give you an extra 6hp at the upper range of the powerband, but you actually lose power at the bottom end. You remove the exhaust flap, that is there as these engines run with a lot of valve overlap, and they are there to create back pressure at lower rpms so the charge doesn't go out the exhaust... And the difference in between the slip on and the full system will only be noticeable for a very skilled rider at the track, in the street you won't be able to notice it.

And $800 for a full system is not going to happen...

For the 636 it is very easy, you can do a slip on plus a cat delete mid pipe:

Akrapovic L K6SO8 1 SS Cat Delete Link Mid Pipe ZX6 zx6r ZX 6R 09 13 636 Ninja | eBay

09 13 Kawasaki zx6r 636 Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Slip on Exhaust | eBay

That's already $200 over your budget, but that's as close as you'll get to a full system for that money...

If you go with a different slip on (yes, that Akrapovic midpipe will work) you can save $400:

Leovince LV One Carbon Fiber Slip on Exhaust for 09 13 Kaw ZX 6R 2013 636 Ninja | eBay

Both options will sound fantastic, no difference at all to a full system, well, save for the fact that you won't lose low end hp and you won't need a Power Commander.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
I think you'll want ABS given your cruiser background. A cruiser will accept much more rear braking before lock-up than a SS. If you're accustomed to using the rear brake, it's likely that in a panic stop on the SS you'll instinctively stomp down on the rear and lock it. At that point, you'll need to keep it locked until you come to a full stop or risk going down.

ABS can help you avoid that kind of problem.

Regarding storage - I live in a rural area. My last bike was parked in the breezeway area of our barn out behind our house. There's a quiet dirt road that runs behind it. Someone came through our back gate late one night and stole my bike.

I wouldn't risk keeping your new SS in your backyard unless you're going to chain it to something substantial, like a tree or a hungry Doberman.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I have alot of people that come in and tell me their bike got stolen. (Not necessarily in this town.) I'm going to make sure I get a 2-Way Pager Alarm. Thanks for the info on the ABS. On my cruiser, I actually never use the break. I downshift when I want to slow down. I don't think I have even hit the brake in a panic situation. I'm going to consider the ABS.

Take this as a great opportunity to evaluate your sales people

Tell them to treat you like a customer and have each of them "sell" you a bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That's actually a VERY good idea. I have done some role-playing in my previous sales people when I worked in the corporate world. Actually taking them to a bike and having them sell me is great, instead of at my desk.

The unfortunate thing is, is that ALL of my sales people are BRAND NEW. Let's just say that there's alot of turnover at my store. We have a General Manager there that is IMPOSSIBLE to work with/for. I mean, I have been in several corporate offices where there's going to be office politics, but this place takes the cake. The only reason why I'm Sales Manager is because the Sales Manager that was there before, quit 2 weeks ago. Well the other reason why I got it instead of hiring outside the dealership, is because I have 6 years of management experience. They are hiring a new GM, but only because he is retiring, but not soon enough. 2 years. Once that happens, I know of 6 people who are willing to come back. Once more people hear about it, they will do it too. Let's put it this way. I almost quit today. We have so many people that come into the store that use to work there, in sales 95% of the time and they ALL quit, because of the GM. It's THAT bad. The Sales Manager that I worked for before he quit, is coming in tomorrow to pick up his last check and to talk to the owner about our GM. LOL I'm kind afraid to say too much about it, let alone what I just said, just incase someone from my work or someone who comes in the store, sees this.

No. When I say loud, I don't mean obnoxiously loud. I just want it to be noticeable. Now give me credit. I started out on a cruiser. I wanted to get an R6, but I read threads on this actual website and I thought... hmmm these guys seem to know their shit. I'm going to listen. I didn't ever register, I just read. I knew I wasn't going to be any different or get a different answer, so I didn't need to post the same ole thread you guys get all the time. So you guys turned this Snowflake into a believer.

I just remember when I had my house in Irving (within 5 miles from the Dallas Cowboy Stadium) that was 2 miles from I-30. I could hear sport bikes SCREAMING for a good solid 2 minutes. And I mean 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... bikes at a time. It sounded so great, but I told myself, wait a couple more years. I want it to sound GOOD and loud. Good > Loud. Let me translate it into something maybe ya'll can relate to as I am big into this. In relation to car stereos. SQ more than SPL. I'll admit. I want other riders, friends, customers, co-workers to go... DAMN That sounds good. He knows what he's doing. I mean, it would look bad if the Sales Manager at a bike shop, get's something that isn't all that great and sounds bad.

No Extended Swingarms for me. Not my thing

So why not just go with a straight pipe? That's as loud (and cheap) as you can get.

(I'm having trouble figuring out just what you want from a sport bike. Is your intention to enjoy riding a high performance machine, or to look cool, or to piss off as many other motorists as possible?)
I'm not looking to piss anyone off. Sorry, maybe I need to clarify. I have never heard a bike obnoxiously loud like that before. I have only been around SS's that have a slip on or full exhaust. Never been around anything with straight pipes. Never knew you could do that with a SS. So I never knew that you could get THAT loud. I'm not looking for that. Something that's decently loud, not so much I have to wear earplugs and something that just sounds great.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Full systems give you an extra 6hp at the upper range of the powerband, but you actually lose power at the bottom end. You remove the exhaust flap, that is there as these engines run with a lot of valve overlap, and they are there to create back pressure at lower rpms so the charge doesn't go out the exhaust... And the difference in between the slip on and the full system will only be noticeable for a very skilled rider at the track, in the street you won't be able to notice it.

And $800 for a full system is not going to happen...

For the 636 it is very easy, you can do a slip on plus a cat delete mid pipe:

Akrapovic L K6SO8 1 SS Cat Delete Link Mid Pipe ZX6 zx6r ZX 6R 09 13 636 Ninja | eBay

09 13 Kawasaki zx6r 636 Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Slip on Exhaust | eBay

That's already $200 over your budget, but that's as close as you'll get to a full system for that money...

If you go with a different slip on (yes, that Akrapovic midpipe will work) you can save $400:

Leovince LV One Carbon Fiber Slip on Exhaust for 09 13 Kaw ZX 6R 2013 636 Ninja | eBay

Both options will sound fantastic, no difference at all to a full system, well, save for the fact that you won't lose low end hp and you won't need a Power Commander.
Ok.. Thanks for that info! I really appreciate it. Looks like I'll be getting a good slip on! Maybe I'll look into doing a cat delete with a slip on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
OK. So to recap..

You all have helped me tremendously. I really appreciate all of your help and no one got an attitude with me. Only if people came on here for advice and actually took it, would they understand the actual pleasantness that they would receive. :)

I'm going to get a ZX-6R. It will more than likely be the black and white. I looked at the 2013 model and I like the bottom fairing being white, instead of black, but by the time I order it, we probably won't be able to get a 2013 model. So when that time comes, hopefully the 2015 models come out in a few months. I'm not sure when they come out. If they do, I'll be able to get it cheaper due to the rebate

I'm leaning towards ABS. It's an extra paycheck more, so we'll see how long it will take me to get it, depending all on me saving it instead of spending it.. Like on a new gun or something.

I'm going with a slip on.

No Swingarm.

Something that wasn't discussed. I'll be getting a license plate delete and go with an electronically controlled flip up license plate. Now before I get flamed, it's not for what you think. It will always be down while I'm riding, except for a few seconds. I want it for the tollways. We have tollways in Dallas that were built as tollways, only to be turned into normal highways AFTER they made all of the money to pay for it. Well they haven't done that and not only that, they jacked up the tollway fees AFTER they decided to change them to TollTag/Bill You Later tollways. So that actually costs them less. So that's what I'll be using it for.

I'll either be done with the bike then or spend a bit more money on suspension upgrades. No lowering.

I didn't get a chance to get back on the ZX-6R today as we were super busy. I'm going to get back on it tomorrow to see how it feels again. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, I sold the R6 Saturday, so I can't get on it. To me the ZX-6R had a thicker seat than the R6. The R6's seat seemed like I was sitting on the plastic. I might look into getting a more comfortable seat. I'm not sure. Might look into a steering damper. Is it really just a bandaid? Bandaid or not, still beneficial right? The CBR comes with one.

I really like the ZX-6R. The TCS, available K-IBS that is most technologically advanced ABS around, the Mode Selector for days when I don't check the rain forecast. Hey, It's Oklahoma. Give it a minute, the weather will change. The extra uuumph the 636 gives for when I start dialing in my SS technique for when owning an SS starts to get really fun in which it was designed for and I'm buying it for. I mean, I'll admit, I'm getting it partially (just partially) for girls, but I really would like to ride the bike. The projector headlights is a nice selling point too.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Pretty sure its a rediculous ticket if you get caught with a flipper plate. Plus the cop will definitely slam you with every other charge possible. Highways are boring on sportbikes anyway. Take the backroads if they have that kind of thing in texas

41 - 60 of 199 Posts