Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If it is just the image you are after, I would get the one that is the best looking/or can be made the best looking. If it is the power you want, the Kawi is probably the one you want. However, I am a firm believer in buy once, cry once, if you seek the power a b***** bike is what you want. A 750 class might be an answer also, I'm far out of the pricing game, I'm sure you know that better than I. Best of luck.
Well honestly, I have always had my eye on a GSX-R 750. I have fell in love with the black and burnt orange Gixxer. But as I have mentioned on here a couple of times already, a Suzuki is not an option. We are only a Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki dealership.

I guess I could always get the brand new 2014 black and burnt orange metallic ZX-14R that I just put on the showroom Saturday.

:)

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
#3 would be... I want a sport bike, not a detuned sport bike.
Because 140hp and 82 ft-lbs of torque on the Ninja 1000/Z1000 is so detuned compared to 131hp and 51 ft-lbs of torque on the 636...

Just saying.

If you want power, then go and get a 1000cc SS bike. Try the ZX-10R or CBR1000RR.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Well, I suppose we each have a cross to bear, but if I were in such a Triumph-deprived hell-hole I think I'd quit the job, sell a kidney, and hop the first freight headed toward somewhere that I could find Triumphs, Ducatis, and MV Agustas.

:lgh2
As I mentioned earlier... This job/living situation is only temporary. I have been living in Dallas for the past 10 years. My next bike after this one will more than likely be a liter bike and probably be a Ducati 1098S

Because 140hp and 82 ft-lbs of torque on the Ninja 1000/Z1000 is so detuned compared to 131hp and 51 ft-lbs of torque on the 636...

Just saying.

If you want power, then go and get a 1000cc SS bike. Try the ZX-10R or CBR1000RR.
I'm comparing apples to apples.. Not apples to oranges. I'm not looking for a liter bike of any sort. Insurance, cost of the bike (If I'm getting raped by my insurance company for having a liter sport bike, I would much rather actually have the sport bike) and like I said.. I want a Super Sport, not just a Sport. For what I'm getting money wise.. I want the performance.. That includes motor, suspension, etc...

I don't believe I am ready for a liter sport bike. I believe I should start out small and work my way up. So yes, my next bike will be a liter bike. I just don't think it's a very smart idea to go from a 1300cc 650lb cruiser to a race bike with turn signals. But if it's not that big of a deal, then please guys, let me know. If most or alot of the technique that is needed to be learned on an SS, can be achieved by riding a quick cruiser for the past 7 years, then please let me know. I'm all ears

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tex, I would definately go with what you can live with. I hate to hear people settle for something. Alos if you plan on buying a larger bike later, you might just buy the best looking rig, as later you are going to have plenty of hp. Like previously stated the 600 class is generally very likewise in performance, and if you aren't going to ride hard, just buy the best looking rig.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Tex, I would definately go with what you can live with. I hate to hear people settle for something.
Thanks. Honestly, I could live with either bike... Right now, this is how I have them lined up in order...

#1: Yamaha R6
#2: 636
#3: 600RR

The reason why I want the R6, is because of the look/paint. I LOVE the flat gray. If the 636 had other color options or had the flat grey (or black), then I wouldn't have even created this thread. I would be ordering a 636 right now. I just know that Yamaha hasn't done jack with keeping up the pace with their motor performance. The 600RR seems to have the least amount of power and from the looks of it.. It's kinda boring. The one thing I do LOVE about the 600RR is the exhaust exiting underneath the rear seat/tail.

So basically, I'd take the paint job of the R6 with the motor from the 636 and the exhaust design exiting underneath the tail light from the CBR
:fixed

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
You don't have any used or trade ins? THOSE you could test ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You don't have any used or trade ins? THOSE you could test ride.
I just sold a used orange CBR 600RR a week & a half ago and shortly after that, a 2011 ZX-6R to a 19 year old kit who I actually hired and started today. I could ride his. I didn't think about that! Thanks!

That's all we had in regards to used bikes. This town is more geared towards cruisers so we don't get many SS trade ins & if we do, they seem to not last long

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm thinking you'd be surprised at how fast a 600 really is. Are you getting any of the 2014 VFR800's/Interceptors in soon? I'd get one of those. Comfortable, proven to be reliable, single sided swing arm is a god send, V4 makes an awesome sound, it looks pretty good too. You may also really like the ZX14R. Someone on here has a Hayabusa and some other SS, can't remember what. He said the Busa was easier to ride.

·
Registered
729 Posts
If most or alot of the technique that is needed to be learned on an SS, can be achieved by riding a quick cruiser for the past 7 years, then please let me know. I'm all ears
This depends upon riding style and how you'll use the bike. You can most assuredly ride a SS in a relaxed manner, similar to how you ride a cruiser. The skills you've learned on a cruiser will be useful on a SS, and certainly all the rules and tricks and techniques for handling traffic safely apply to either type of bike.

But the story doesn't end there.

A person who learned to drive in an SUV can get into a Porsche and operate it safely. The controls are in the same place, the basics of braking and steering are much the same, you obey the same traffic laws, etc. But that doesn't mean you can safely access the performance capability of the Porsche. That takes experience, possibly some training, a willingness to learn, self control, and patience as your skills gradually improve.

It's similar when you move to a SS. You'll find the SS is capable of much greater performance (not just speed, but also braking and cornering) than the cruiser, and you'll need to learn some new skills to exploit the SS's potential. For example, since the SS is considerably lighter than the cruiser, your personal body weight is a larger percentage of the bike+rider combination. Therefore how you move your body on the bike has more effect. With the SS foot position, you'll find it easier and more effective to weight the pegs than it was on the cruiser. Where you place weight, fore and aft, on the bars, on the pegs, on your butt, makes a big difference in how the bike behaves.

People write entire books on sport riding techniques, and one book I can highly recommend is this one:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072[/ame]

Certainly with your cruiser experience you can safely transition to a SS. After that, it's all a question of what you want to do with the bike. If you're just interested in cruising around, posing with the bike, going to bike nights, etc., ignore everything I wrote. If you want to experience what sport bikes were made to do, you're going to need to work at it.

Reactions: scarredpelt

·
Short Yellow bus rider
223 Posts
... and the input from the rider to the bike is much more sensitive in the SS than in the cruiser and so is the reaction to that input.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm thinking you'd be surprised at how fast a 600 really is. Are you getting any of the 2014 VFR800's/Interceptors in soon? I'd get one of those. Comfortable, proven to be reliable, single sided swing arm is a god send, V4 makes an awesome sound, it looks pretty good too. You may also really like the ZX14R. Someone on here has a Hayabusa and some other SS, can't remember what. He said the Busa was easier to ride.
Oh I don't think I'll be at all surprised at how fast a 600 SS will be. I tell people who are wanting to get a 600 SS that they don't realize or understand how unforgiving the throttle, braking and overall acceleration that they have. I actually try to steer people away from starting out on 600 sport bike if it's their first street bike. Most people in sales will want the higher commission. To me, I'd rather them not end up dead. I won't sit there for minutes on end and argue with them. I'll touch on it and if they don't get it, then I'll write them up. I do understand how quick and unforgiving the 600's are. If that wasn't the case, then I wouldn't have went to a cruiser. For the same price I got my V-Star 1300 for, I could have just as easily got an R6

This depends upon riding style and how you'll use the bike. You can most assuredly ride a SS in a relaxed manner, similar to how you ride a cruiser. The skills you've learned on a cruiser will be useful on a SS, and certainly all the rules and tricks and techniques for handling traffic safely apply to either type of bike.

But the story doesn't end there.

A person who learned to drive in an SUV can get into a Porsche and operate it safely. The controls are in the same place, the basics of braking and steering are much the same, you obey the same traffic laws, etc. But that doesn't mean you can safely access the performance capability of the Porsche. That takes experience, possibly some training, a willingness to learn, self control, and patience as your skills gradually improve.

It's similar when you move to a SS. You'll find the SS is capable of much greater performance (not just speed, but also braking and cornering) than the cruiser, and you'll need to learn some new skills to exploit the SS's potential. For example, since the SS is considerably lighter than the cruiser, your personal body weight is a larger percentage of the bike+rider combination. Therefore how you move your body on the bike has more effect. With the SS foot position, you'll find it easier and more effective to weight the pegs than it was on the cruiser. Where you place weight, fore and aft, on the bars, on the pegs, on your butt, makes a big difference in how the bike behaves.

People write entire books on sport riding techniques, and one book I can highly recommend is this one:
Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track: Nick Ienatsch, Kenny Roberts: 9781893618077: Amazon.com: Books

Certainly with your cruiser experience you can safely transition to a SS. After that, it's all a question of what you want to do with the bike. If you're just interested in cruising around, posing with the bike, going to bike nights, etc., ignore everything I wrote. If you want to experience what sport bikes were made to do, you're going to need to work at it.

Thanks for that info! That was the most helpful post I have got. (No offense to all of the other posts. They were very helpful also)

I really appreciate your reply. I just have this one chance to get me any bike I want, at cost. Because the rest of my paychecks, will be going towards a new truck and then I'll be putting away a few grand so I can quit and move back to Dallas. I am hoping to do all of this within 2 years. I currently have no bills except my two credit cards. So it's going to be a sport bike. I can either get the 600 or save up for a few couple months and get a liter bike, but I believe that if I am going to get an SS, I should start out on a 600, regardless of my 7 years of riding a 75hp 1300cc 650lb cruiser

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OK. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut the CBR600RR. It's pretty much down to the R6 and the 636. I can either go for the R6, because of the looks or I can go with the ZX-6R for the slightly higher power. Decisions Decision. The positive thing is that I have some time to decide, since I still have some time to save up my paychecks. The negative aspect to that is, I have to wait. LOL

So I have to ask myself... Is the slightly higher power worth me getting a bike that I don't believe is as good looking? I REALLY love the paint on the R6. I'm not a big flashy kinda guy in the aspect of bring Kawasaki green.

But now that I look at the white and black Kawasaki.. I guess it doesn't look too bad. I have a green and black Kawasaki on my showroom floor. I don't have a white and black one to look at. Does anyone know if the white color is a pearl color or is it glossy? How does it look in person?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you like the look of the R6 better than that is what you should buy, for a street bike you're too worried about the power difference, another thing too keep in mind, do you have a secure spot to keep it? I am pretty sure that the r6 is second only to the gsxr as far as being a target for theft.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
OK... before I even ride the bike. I'm going to get a full exhaust. No way am I going to ride the bike with it sounding like that. No Slip-Ons for me. So what is a good exhaust to get. I know what exhaust is good with cruisers, but SS bikes, I don't know. IIRC, decent exhaust are Two Brothers & Yoshimira. Great exhaust would be Leo Vince.. I'm looking to spend around $600-$800 for an exhaust system. I suppose I would need a Fuel Commander too. Those will probably set me back $400, right? I'll get the bike with the exhaust and then add the fuel commander on the next paycheck.

So I see that Vance & Hines makes an exhaust for a 636. LOL I know Vance & Hines is a GREAT exhaust for cruisers, because I have the Big Shots on my cruiser, but probably not for an SS.

I would like to have a carbon fiber can. Doesn't need to be for the most performance or anything, just needs to have a GREAT sound, with performance obviously. I'm not taking this to the track ever so a couple HP isn't going to matter to me. Oh yeah, here in Oklahoma, we don't have emissions testing. In Dallas, we do. I don't think it matters with bikes as far as emissions testing though. I haven't ever had my V-Star 1300 inspected. :) I also prefer a smaller can, than say a larger one.

Oh and I want to say this... LOUDER THE BETTER!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
If you like the look of the R6 better than that is what you should buy, for a street bike you're too worried about the power difference, another thing too keep in mind, do you have a secure spot to keep it? I am pretty sure that the r6 is second only to the gsxr as far as being a target for theft.
That's what I'll probably end up getting. I'm not really worried about the performance of the motor necessarily, although it's a great selling point and though I did make one post just a bit ago about it. But the entire thread I created is more questioning the overall performance of the bike; handling, comfort, motor, transmission, problems, reliability, etc..

The only spot I have to secure it, is in my back yard. It's not a big problem to get it back there as my gate is pretty wide. I don't live in a big city, but there is crime here, so that is a concern. But I'm sure either bike I get, it would be equally targeted from another. If they see a sportbike, they are going to try and get it, regardless if it's a 636 or an R6. It won't be till I move to Dallas, then will I have a garage for my sportbike and my V-Star 1300. I'll also probably get a two way pager alarm for my bike. Where my bedroom currently is.. it has a door that is directly infront of the driveway, so I can put the bike right infront of my door. If I REALLY want to, I can rearrange my bed and park it in my bedroom LOL

Do I need to spend the extra grand for ABS if I were to go with the ZX-6R? The more I look at the white and black ZX-6R, the more I like it. I also really like the fact that it has a changeble engine mode like the R1. Once I get the bike, I can switch it to Low Mode. Once I get more use to the bike, I can switch it to Full Mode

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
That's what I'll probably end up getting. I'm not really worried about the performance of the motor necessarily, although it's a great selling point and though I did make one post just a bit ago about it. But the entire thread I created is more questioning the overall performance of the bike; handling, comfort, motor, transmission, problems, reliability, etc..

The only spot I have to secure it, is in my back yard. It's not a big problem to get it back there as my gate is pretty wide. I don't live in a big city, but there is crime here, so that is a concern. But I'm sure either bike I get, it would be equally targeted from another. If they see a sportbike, they are going to try and get it, regardless if it's a 636 or an R6. It won't be till I move to Dallas, then will I have a garage for my sportbike and my V-Star 1300. I'll also probably get a two way pager alarm for my bike. Where my bedroom currently is.. it has a door that is directly infront of the driveway, so I can put the bike right infront of my door. If I REALLY want to, I can rearrange my bed and park it in my bedroom LOL

Do I need to spend the extra grand for ABS if I were to go with the ZX-6R? The more I look at the white and black ZX-6R, the more I like it. I also really like the fact that it has a changeble engine mode like the R1. Once I get the bike, I can switch it to Low Mode. Once I get more use to the bike, I can switch it to Full Mode
The electronics (including traction control) is a big reason I'd pick the 636. Abs adds a little plumbing so it takes a little more effort through the lever, but unless you're a track junkie you'll probably stop faster with abs, especially in a panick situation. The reviews make it sound like the perfect street/ occasional track day bike.

As for exhausts, most bike specific forums have plenty of threads on every exhaust out there. You won't find a full exhaust for that cheap, but most shorter cans are cheaper and louder. I used to like two bros.. but they haven't changed the look in like 5 years. I dont want the same exhaust as 12 other bike models. You won't need a power commander if you only get a slip on, but if you get a very stubby can, high flow filter and maybe drill the airbox or remove the snorkel a pc and dyno time might give you a small gain

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks for that info. I'm leaning more towards the 636. If ABS will come in handy once in a panic situation, it could very well save my life.

I searched in the Specific Bike section of this forum and there aren't any threads in there. Either I don't have access or all I can see are just the Stickies. I clicked on the Kawasaki section and then clicked on ZX-6R and only like, 4 threads are in there and they are only Stickies.

I found several full exhaust for around that price range, but they aren't going to be Titanum/Carbon Fiber or anything like that. Just Stainless Steel. I knew they were more expensive, but $2k? Really? Dayum. For a Leo Vince, I gotta pony up $1200 for their cheapest one. Do I really gotta give $1k for a good system?

Thanks for your post! I appreciate the feedback

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Yes, a full exhaust is expensive. But you can also add in Power commander, because you will NEED it for that system. For the R6, I recommend Graves all the way, for the 636, I'd go with Akrapovic, Muzzy, or Yoshimura. Those are the best, and the price tag reflects that.

Would you like to try buying a full exhaust for a Triumph Daytona 675? LOL $1581 for Akrapovic (stainless). About $2200 for the titanium.

*disclaimer* I'm guessing/estimating

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'd stray away from an R6 myself, just because they feel like a torture rack to me.

21 - 40 of 199 Posts