Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Sportbike... Work at bike dealership

Hey guys, I have an opportunity to get either a Honda, Yamaha or a Kawasaki sportbike at cost. I was just recently promoted to Sales Manager at a motorcycle dealership. Now I have been riding continously since 2007 when I bought my first streetbike; a 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300. I drilled out the factory airbox and put on some Vance & Hines Big Shots exhaust. It's pretty damn fast for a cruiser, although that's not what the intentions are for that bike.

I know the whole, start out small advice for a sportbike, but I have been riding pretty solid for the past 7 years, so I have developed a technique. Well a riding technique, not a sportbike technique. Everything screams at me to get a ZX-10R, but I think it's best to start out witha 600 since there is going to be a huge difference between my 75hp V-Star and a light SS. I also turn 28 next Tuesday on April 1st, so I am not one of those early 20 something year old kids that come in my dealership that I know who is just going to eat the pavement soon.

So I have the option of getting whatever I want at cost from my work.

R6
ZX-6R
CBR600RR

I personally love the look of the R6. It's the only bike that comes in a decent color to me. The CBR comes in black, but I already have a black bike & a black truck so I want something different. The Flat Grey R6 is just absolutely sexy. I LOVE that color. Unfortunately, I just sold that flat grey R6 to someone on Saturday.

With me working here, I can gather that the CBR and the R6 are just about on par. The 636 however is a tad bit more powerful. The R6 seems to have lost a few HP. So what do you guys think for my first sportbike? If I am going to get a SS, I want it to atleast be the most powerful in it's class. Now let me say this, I am not saying I want the absolute fastest bike. If I did, I would just get this ZX-14R that's sitting infront of my desk right now. :) I just prefer if I have the bike that would edge it out. Yes, it's about image. No I wouldn't be out edging anyone. And yes, I do know that if all I am worried about is image, then I am not going to be responsible enought for an SS. That's not the case. It would just look stupid if the sales manager at the biggest dealer in NW Oklahoma got the slowest, worse handling bike that we offer.

Also, if anyone has any info on any of these bikes that would help me inform my customers, that would be great. Anything to seperate one bike from the other 2 bikes. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say pick your favorite color and go for it, unless you plan of doing a lot of track days, they will all perform the same on the street. I have always felt the most comfortable on the ZX6 when I was sitting on them at the dealership before I got my 7, but I am only 5' 7 so the more aggressive seating position fit my body better.

One question though, being the sales manager, shouldn't you know the pros and cons of the bikes on your floor? I don't mean it in a condescending or rude way, I ask only out of curiosity.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The performance is pretty similar between all three, the Kawasaki will have a bit more power since it has a slightly larger motor. I'd say get the one that feels most natural to you when you sit on it, you won't want to ride a bike if it's uncomfortable. But if you just care about the image, get whichever one you think looks best.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
old member
13,079 Posts
As was said, all the 600's from the big 4 are quite similar. The biggest difference is the rider. Go across town and get a gsx-r. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, I just started here. The Sales Manager just quit so I have 7 years of sales management experience already, but in a corporate office enviroment. The Sales Manager that was here when I started, decided to quit after being here for 2 years. He was just done. Our GM here micromanages the sales department for some reason. I mean I have worked at several corporate offices and this place/boss takes the cake in regards to politics and micromanagement.

I do know quite a bit about the bikes, but I really have trouble trying to explain the key differences between the 3 to swing one person from one bike to another. To me, all three are pretty much the same.

Reactions: Technomancer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and I wish I could take them for a test ride, but unfortunately, all of our bikes are dry since they are on the showroom floor. Costs too much to service them, keep the oil, battery, etc.. all right. We service them when they are leaving the building after the sale.

As for getting a GSX-R. There's not another dealership even remotely close to us. We are the only dealership in Northwestern Oklahoma. Hence when I said the largest dealership in NW Oklahoma... it's because we are the only. LOL And that would defeat the entire purpose of me getting a bike, is if I were to get it from somewhere else. I would be paying alot more for the bike when I can get it at cost here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little bit of our selection

I just rolled out a Vulcan Vaquero and a Yamaha Raider. Those bikes are pretty sweet. The Vaquero is actually burnt orange metallic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
A little bit of our selection

I just rolled out a Vulcan Vaquero and a Yamaha Raider. Those bikes are pretty sweet. The Vaquero is actually burnt orange metallic
My grandpa is looking at the vaquero but he is afraid to move to a cruiser, he said once he goes down to a cruiser then it is all downhill from there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Your grandpa sounds bad ass! Cruisers aren't just for older people. They are great. The Vulcan is a pretty quick cruiser honestly. If he likes to go quick, then a Raider would be a great choice. The Raider will shit and get

·
Registered
729 Posts
All three of those bikes are pretty similar. If you want something great in the ~600cc range, something with style, personality, great looks, good features, fabulous handling, smooth power, etc., take my advice: quite that job, go to work for a Triumph dealer, and buy a Daytona 675.

Reactions: Shamrock627

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All three of those bikes are pretty similar. If you want something great in the ~600cc range, something with style, personality, great looks, good features, fabulous handling, smooth power, etc., take my advice: quite that job, go to work for a Triumph dealer, and buy a Daytona 675.

That's not an option. Like I said before, we are the ONLY dealer in North Western Oklahoma. It's hard enough to find a decent paying job that is entertaining as it is in this town. This job is only to get me by till I can get back to Dallas, where I belong, and get back to my career

·
Registered
145 Posts
^if money weren't an option a 675R is where it's at. But if I were you I'd get the 636 without question
Agreed on both counts. Given the choice of the three makes, I'd take the Kawi. But of course that's personal preference. The other two both have loyal followings as well.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Brand new, I'd get the 636 of those 3 choices. If it wasn't for you getting them at cost, I'd say get a Daytona 675R. Why not the Z1000? or Ninja 1000? Not SS bikes, but look quite fun and are more comfortable choices.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Its not even about the brand for me. The 636 is just a better bike IMO. Huge recent update unlike the other 2s half assed lipstick on a pig

·
Registered
729 Posts
Like I said before, we are the ONLY dealer in North Western Oklahoma. It's hard enough to find a decent paying job that is entertaining as it is in this town.

Well, I suppose we each have a cross to bear, but if I were in such a Triumph-deprived hell-hole I think I'd quit the job, sell a kidney, and hop the first freight headed toward somewhere that I could find Triumphs, Ducatis, and MV Agustas.

:lgh2

Reactions: stnkbg1

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
i would pick the one that has a good balance of looks and comfort. just sit on them all and see which one feels best and then which one you like the looks of and buy it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If it is just the image you are after, I would get the one that is the best looking/or can be made the best looking. If it is the power you want, the Kawi is probably the one you want. However, I am a firm believer in buy once, cry once, if you seek the power a b***** bike is what you want. A 750 class might be an answer also, I'm far out of the pricing game, I'm sure you know that better than I. Best of luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brand new, I'd get the 636 of those 3 choices. If it wasn't for you getting them at cost, I'd say get a Daytona 675R. Why not the Z1000? or Ninja 1000? Not SS bikes, but look quite fun and are more comfortable choices.
Well.. For 1, we don't have any in stock and we won't order any, because those bikes won't sell here. 2 is because I already have a comfortable bike so #3 would be... I want a sport bike, not a detuned sport bike.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts