Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after much reading on this message board I have narrowed it down to 3 bikes. The GS500, Katana 600, and YZF-600r.

My only experience is riding my '76 CB750 a few times before I sold it last year.

I am 6' 6" 225 pounds (very lanky)

I went to the Suzuki dealer here in town on Saturday to try on some bikes... all they had was a 2004 GSX-R1000 and a 2002 (Used) R1. The GSXR was uncomfortable for me with my long legs hitting the faring with my knees when I had my feet on the pegs. The R1 however fit pretty well.

I would never dream of buying a bike like one of those for my first bike... but I just wanted to see what they felt like.

So my question to you, my piers.... what should I get out of those 3 bikes I listed at the top. Or do you have other suggestions that I have not yet considered?

Thanks!!

Paul

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RACER X said:
KAWI EX500 OR GS500

get training www.msf-usa.org
Thanks for the tip... I have already completed the West Virginia Motorcycle safety course last weekend. It has 15 hours of track time involved which I thorougly enjoyed.

I like the fully enclosed look of the GS500... not to mention the price. I think the Kawa is kind of ugly and dated though :(

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
First of all, the GS500 is a very friendly bike, bullet proof, reliable and easy to repair, but...

I truly dislike it. Not for what it is (I kinda like it), but for what it isnt.

Aircooled, 2 valves per cylinder, among the slowest (if not the slowest) 500cc bike in the US, basically, an early 80s bike. What I'm mad about is that Suzuki hasn't worried to update such an outdated bike, it could have better rideability and a longer lasting engine if they added watercooling, more power or a better powerband if they added 4 more valves.

You're coming from a 76 CB750, the GS500 will make equal, if not less, power than the CB.

I'd say, Kawasaki EX500, no state of the art technology by any means, but at least it is watercooled, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder and 20 extra ponies that will let you ride it for more time without geting bored.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm a fan of the GS500. I started on one, and was about 6'4" and around 220 at the time. I loved it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
First of all, the GS500 is a very friendly bike, bullet proof, reliable and easy to repair, but...

Aircooled, 2 valves per cylinder, among the slowest (if not the slowest) 500cc bike in the US, basically, an early 80s bike. What I'm mad about is that Suzuki hasn't worried to update such an outdated bike, it could have better rideability and a longer lasting engine if they added watercooling, more power or a better powerband if they added 4 more valves.

You're coming from a 76 CB750, the GS500 will make equal, if not less, power than the CB.

I'd say, Kawasaki EX500, no state of the art technology by any means, but at least it is watercooled, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder and 20 extra ponies that will let you ride it for more time without geting bored.
Sorry, the CB750 has more power than the GS500, not less. Around 64hp. The GS500 puts down around 40hp at the rear wheel. The EX500 puts down 50 odd hp.

Watercooling will not make the engine more reliable or last longer. If anything, air-cooled engines last longer than their water-cooled counterparts because water-cooling is added to increase performance, not reliablity. It is used to dissipate the extra heat generated as the rpms rise. It also increases the complexity, cost and maintenance burden.

Extra valves would improve breathing and hence performance at the cost of complexity. Why mess with what works?

If you want the high rpms, sportbike performance, go with an EX500. If you like the looks of the GS500, go for that. It will be down on power compared to the CB750 but the handling and suspension will be much better by comparison. The suspension is weak by modern sportbike standards but light years ahead of the setup on the CB.

BTW, boredom in motorcycling is a euphemism for "doesn't accelerate fast enough in a straight line for my ego.". It's a garbage concept. Riding is riding and a true rider will be happy riding anything with two wheels.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
linuxbikr said:
Sorry, the CB750 has more power than the GS500, not less. Around 64hp. The GS500 puts down around 40hp at the rear wheel. The EX500 puts down 50 odd hp.

Watercooling will not make the engine more reliable or last longer. If anything, air-cooled engines last longer than their water-cooled counterparts because water-cooling is added to increase performance, not reliablity. It is used to dissipate the extra heat generated as the rpms rise. It also increases the complexity, cost and maintenance burden.

Extra valves would improve breathing and hence performance at the cost of complexity. Why mess with what works?

If you want the high rpms, sportbike performance, go with an EX500. If you like the looks of the GS500, go for that. It will be down on power compared to the CB750 but the handling and suspension will be much better by comparison. The suspension is weak by modern sportbike standards but light years ahead of the setup on the CB.

BTW, boredom in motorcycling is a euphemism for "doesn't accelerate fast enough in a straight line for my ego.". It's a garbage concept. Riding is riding and a true rider will be happy riding anything with two wheels.
Couldn't have said it better. When I rode my ex500, I never had a "boring" moment. I was, as the old saying goes, happier than pigs in shit just to be riding.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
YZF600R. You've got experience already, and the characteristics are almost exactly like my F3 which I think is great, so I would definitely go with that.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hey i flew a cessna 152 a few times, maybe i should be let loose on an F-16.........

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
RACER X said:
hey i flew a cessna 152 a few times, maybe i should be let loose on an F-16.........
Absolutely, just don't fly in Delaware :D. You won't affect my insurance rates, not even my taxes :lol.

Now starting the RACER X F-16 fund. :twofinger :cool:

·
Registered
584 Posts
get the EX500. I went through the same dilema too. Try to search for a link to the comparisson, made by some magazine, of GS and EX. OUt of 10 or so comparing factors, GS won only 1 (brakes - from what I recall). It even lost on design (cheaper feel).

I've ridden both, and the power difference is there. I know I need it, when I ride on a highway (merging with traffic going at about 70-75mph)

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the GS500 comes with modern radial tires while the EX500 has bias ply tires. If I were looking for a difference I would prefer the radials now to learn to ride and graduate to a b***** bike later. Which means I would buy used, put about 20K on it and really learn to ride. I had one when it was a GS450 way back in the 80's and it will get around pretty well, merging into traffic and all.
I agree about the Kawasaki IF it takes modern tires. I believe that the tires are the most important component as they are your only contact with the road.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
linuxbikr said:
Re-read my message, that is exactly what I said.

Watercooling lets the manufacturer use tighter tolerances, so a more precise machine can be built.

Also there is a serious advantage in temperature changes. I know this because I have two aircooled bikes, and it is really hard to keep them at an "ideal" operating temperature.
For example, ride on a COLD and RAINY day, the engine will be running at less than ideal temperature. Take the same bike and run it on stop and go traffic on a crowded city, again, not ideal temperature.
Take the same bike and run it in first going uphill at almost redline trying to keep up with the traffic, serious overheating danger.

All of the above can take a serious hit on the engine's life.

If the engine can be designed to run at a close temperature margin, tolerances can be smaller and it can be tuned a lot better.

Did you noticed I ride a 150cc bike???

And boredom is real, I know it because I'm there. I know that my local twisties are only enjoyable going downhill, going uphill it is extremely boring, I can be riding and taking the turns WOT and still wishing it would go faster.
I also try to avoid as much as possible 2 up riding, it is almost dangerously slow.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The GS500E is an awesome bike... I really wish I still had mine. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts