Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a set of 209's put on my zx 10r soft compound , the original tires had 26oo miles on them and 3 track days at a novice pace and still looked descent but i ran over a key and had a blow out, they were dunlop qualifiers . If i use the 209's at the track and on the street about how many miles do you think I will get out of them on the street I will basically be commuting to work so there will be no crazy ridding on them but now that I put them on I think maybe I should have gone with the 209 hard compounds, being that there track tires the hard ones would still be softer that the stock qualifiers it came with and work better at the track but to late now , the tires seem great but am I going to eat them up in 500 miles or can I get more out of them , thanks I also have a trackday coming up at the new thunderbolt track in nj on sept 8 so i want the tires to be good so basically should i be ridding this bike to work or not thanks again:cheers

·
Registered
765 Posts
there's obviously no clear cut answer to this but i'm going to say commuting to work on the middle 3 inches of tire isn't going to noticeably effect the wear of the tire. The trackdays are going to tear up the remaining outer thirds of the tire.

In hindsight, you sound like a prime candidate for diablo 3's...maybe next time.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks I took it out sunday for a ride about 100 miles to scrub them in and noticed little or no wear from a normal ride , the only thing i noticed was at the end of the day after i scrubed that shinny coating off was they turn better than the stock qualifiers , maybe its just me but they seem to turn in quicker but I guess i will really find out at the track on the 8th

·
Registered
219 Posts
I really like the Diablo IIIs that came on my 1125R. My 1st trackday was damp and cool and they held better than the poor bastards on non-rain race rubber. I got 48* of lean (scraped a peg) out of them on turn 7 of HPT and they didn't feel like they were even considering giving up.

I'm starting to wear the center down with my commute and quick launches so I need to get back out to the track to even them out again. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I really like the Diablo IIIs that came on my 1125R. My 1st trackday was damp and cool and they held better than the poor bastards on non-rain race rubber. I got 48* of lean (scraped a peg) out of them on turn 7 of HPT and they didn't feel like they were even considering giving up.

I'm starting to wear the center down with my commute and quick launches so I need to get back out to the track to even them out again. :)
they are a pretty nice track day tire or even enduro tire...but if you get into sprint racing they're no substitute for supercorsas.

·
Registered
219 Posts
they are a pretty nice track day tire or even enduro tire...but if you get into sprint racing they're no substitute for supercorsas.
I bet not! They don't make race tires and tire warmers for nothing. I hope to one day need that kind of traction. 1st, I'm going to upgrade my health insurance and get a deticated track bike.

I don't really want to push 100% when I know I've got a $5000 deductable on my own ass and will knot up my brand new bike to boot if I screw up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts