Sport Bikes banner

First Service?

6K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  ZZRrocket 
#1 ·
I need to get this done and i am wondering a few things. How much does this cost, on average? What all does it entail? Can someone with little experience on bikes do these things himself?

#27 ·
If the only difference between the kn-204 and kn-303 is the length... wouldn't you want the slightly longer one? Wouldn't it have a bit more flow or filtration? I ask because I DON'T know, and those things just sound logical to me.

#29 ·
Just a slight update... I went through my 600 mile service today (@ 790 miles because I've been checking stuff almost daily anyway) and used the KN-303 oil filter, because it was the same size as the stock one sold at the dealer... the KN-204 was slightly shorter... I'm sure it would work just as well, I just decided even before I took the stock one off, that I'm using the one that matches the stock length... it was 303...

Oh and please don't go to the dealer for the 600 mile service... I changed my oil, lubed the chain, went around the bike and made sure everything was tight, adjusted the throttle play a bit, clutch lever also, measured the chain (20 links<12.7" or something similar), installed a tank pad and gas cap c/f stickers, etc. etc... in about 2 hours... total cost was maybe $40-50 if you count the oil, filter and chain wax... If you pay more than $50-80 at the dealer you're getting screwed big time... it shouldn't take the dealer more than 45-60 mins for the 600 mile service, unless there's something wrong

EDIT: btw, thanks everyone (mostly Jay haha) for all the helpful info on the bike... working on this is a piece of cake, strawberry chocolate cake

#30 ·
my buddy payed 270 dollars and they had his bike for 3 days when he got it back it was smoking cause they left oil all over the case and muffler, i am mechanically savy and my dad is the master so needless to say i save alot of money doing things myself

#31 ·
lecchilo said:
Just a slight update... I went through my 600 mile service today (@ 790 miles because I've been checking stuff almost daily anyway) and used the KN-303 oil filter, because it was the same size as the stock one sold at the dealer... the KN-204 was slightly shorter... I'm sure it would work just as well, I just decided even before I took the stock one off, that I'm using the one that matches the stock length... it was 303...

Oh and please don't go to the dealer for the 600 mile service... I changed my oil, lubed the chain, went around the bike and made sure everything was tight, adjusted the throttle play a bit, clutch lever also, measured the chain (20 links<12.7" or something similar), installed a tank pad and gas cap c/f stickers, etc. etc... in about 2 hours... total cost was maybe $40-50 if you count the oil, filter and chain wax... If you pay more than $50-80 at the dealer you're getting screwed big time... it shouldn't take the dealer more than 45-60 mins for the 600 mile service, unless there's something wrong

EDIT: btw, thanks everyone (mostly Jay haha) for all the helpful info on the bike... working on this is a piece of cake, strawberry chocolate cake

I thought we had already established the fact that the KN-303 was longer than the KN-204. And the fact that the 600 mile service was basically an overpriced oil and filter change that you could do yourself for less.

Your welcome Ivan I was just giving you a hard time.:)

#32 ·
ZZRrocket said:
I thought we had already established the fact that the KN-303 was longer than the KN-204. And the fact that the 600 mile service was basically an overpriced oil and filter change that you could do yourself for less.

Your welcome Ivan I was just giving you a hard time.:)
Haha I was wondering WTF did I do now?

I was simply posting why I used the filter, because of the equal length... and it never hurts to repeat something that might save people $100-400 when they get to 600 miles... I know you guys have been posting it, and since I'm one of the people who listened, I'm just repeating some good info

#33 ·
lecchilo said:
Haha I was wondering WTF did I do now?

I was simply posting why I used the filter, because of the equal length... and it never hurts to repeat something that might save people $100-400 when they get to 600 miles... I know you guys have been posting it, and since I'm one of the people who listened, I'm just repeating some good info
Sounds good to me Ivan:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.