Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up an 06 CBR 1000RR in two weeks from a guy in New Jersey with 450miles on it. He said it didnt not have its first service done yet. The trip home will be 200 miles and I am riding the bike home instead of putting it in the back of the truck. I will get it serviced right away when I get it home at the Honda Dealer, but it will have around 700-750miles till then. Will it be ok with that much miles on it for its first service?? What all do they do the bike for the first service and how much is the price?? When should the next service be done after that? Can't wait to get this bike, been wanting one for a while. I'll have to get a puig dark smoke screen, frame sliders, and a solo seat cowl for it when I get it. It already has a competition werkes fender eliminator and flushmounts, and comes with a leather honda jacket and shoei helmet. :cheers

·
old member
13,079 Posts
As long as you don't drone home at a constant speed on the freeway, waiting until 750 miles won't kill it. If you're really paranoid, change the oil and filter before you leave for home. Ride at various speeds in various gears without revving the engine over the break-in limit (6-7K?).

The first service is usually an oil/filter change, check all critical bolts for proper torque, check/adjust all cables and controls, on some bikes check the valve adjustment, and generally make sure there are no latent assembly defects. Having this done at a dealer will cost you from $100-300 depending on the dealer.

Unless you know the history of the helmet and it fits you perfectly, I'd pass on it. Sounds like someone bought the bike then changed their mind about riding.

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the guy's mechanical aptitude than an extra 250 miles before a first service. Double check his fend-elim work before rolling off. For that matter, check every important bolt/fastener before rolling off. That's good advice if you're buying new or a 50,000 mile bike. It's you skin!

Try not to drone at one speed/RPM - you're still in the last part of engine break in. Other than that, ride it like you're going to ride it.

Check your fluid levels when you stop (you can try it while you're riding, but I always fall off).

When you do get her home and change the oil, check the magnet on the drain plug for flakes or chips. A small amount of metal paste is normal, especially during break in. The first service (and for that matter, any regularly scheduled service) is little more than a license to print money for the dealer. It's an oil change, chain adjustment and a check to make sure they put the bike together correctly in the first place.

Download the manual, read it. Find some CBR-specific web forums, read them. Get a book on basic motorcycle maintenance, read it too (ya seeing a pattern develop here?)

Fear not the wrench, my son.

·
Swollen Member
4,967 Posts
I would not take the bike in to get serviced until you think the valves might need adjusting. That is the only thing that i would not reccomend trying for a novice mechanic. Other than that it's all gravy.

Now on a side note. I have grown up around dirtbikes and that is my experience with all of the fourstroke dirtbikes I have had. Im not even sure if the valves get thrown outa spec on a break-in of a modern rocket. But i would assume that they due. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do they even check the Valve Timing on a Break in Maintenance? I don't think they do.

I think it's just a Change the Oil/Filter, check cables, chain, normal non Mechanical stuff.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i seriously doubt they would check the valves on a break in service BUT see my signature :D

i just had a valve job done to my '01 F4i when it hit 15,000 miles, and that was 1,000 miles before they recommend it. so i doubt that a bike with less than 1,000 miles on it needs a valve service.....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
me? just got them adjusted....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did they actually adjust them or did they just check them to determine if they needed adjusting?

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
First service (500 miles) is just an oil and filter change, valve clearances are every 8000 miles or so (ie. every other service).

If you're riding it home I'd just concentrate on varying the throttle and using the gears as you're basically still running it in.

I also don't get why you guys pay for the 1st service on a new bike, in the UK the first service on a new bike is always free.
:)

·
Knuckle Dragger
187 Posts
bomma said:
First service (500 miles) is just an oil and filter change, valve clearances are every 8000 miles or so (ie. every other service).

If you're riding it home I'd just concentrate on varying the throttle and using the gears as you're basically still running it in.

I also don't get why you guys pay for the 1st service on a new bike, in the UK the first service on a new bike is always free.
:)
Of course...how much do you pay for a new 1000 'Blade? And $40 to fill up your gas tank...on a bike! Got your tax disc?

You Brits deserve a free tune up!

But then...you do get the GS1400 over there. :cool:

(I may be getting transferred to Derby, so I've had to do some digging. The finances are scarry!)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Most of the stuff that gets checked at the first service is stuff that you should be checking when purchasing/riding a used (or new for that matter) bike. If your feeling paranoid you could change the oil and filter before you leave.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts