Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I should explain the reason I'm even writing this up, as for most of you it will probably seem silly. Before I got my bike, and even after, I looked online for other people's impressions of what it was like to ride a 600 (and other bikes). It is a similar thing to wondering what it's like to ride in an exotic car (which I've also done :D). So I figure you only get one first impression of something, and maybe there's other people like me that are curious about it.

Anyways, my prior riding experience: Learned on my friend's new Ninja 250, bought my 03 Ninja 500. I've got about 2k miles logged on it so far, putting several hundred more on it each week. Basically, I'm still a newbie, but I'm trying to learn fast. My friend's bike is an 06 R6.

My immediate thoughts:
-Riding position is actually not terrible (I'm 6'0, 190). Seat is definitely stiffer and you are way more out front of the bike, but overall, not too bad. Tank is nice and high when you're in tuck. I can see how it could get uncomfortable after a while, but it really wasn't that bad. That opinion could change if I rode it for a few hours.

-Smooth. My Ninja, being a parallel twin, has quite a bit of vibration. Sitting on the R6 was a distinct change. Hardly any vibration at all.

-Getting moving. A bit more difficult than the Ninja, obviously. The throttle is several times more sensitive than I'm used to, and keeping the rpms steady to get moving took a little practice. Clutch had a different feel to it as well on takeoff, I wasn't able to feel it as much as the Ninja. Again, probably something you have to adjust to.

-Slow speed maneuvering. Didn't feel bad at all. The bike is a bit wider and a touch more cumbersome, but I felt fine moving around. Real tight moves might be trickier (at first), especially not being used to the clutch yet.

-Acceleration. There obviously is no comparison. I knew ahead of time that it would be a significant jump up, and it was about what I expected - completely crazy. Although the R6 is known for having sub-par bottom and middle power, it's still more than the 500 everywhere, except perhaps towards the very bottom. I might be wrong there though. It starts ripping your arms off above 9-10k. Quite an experience. I found just turning onto a road from a stop it felt like you were instantly doing 50 mph without even trying to accelerate. Very easy to go quickly with little effort.

-Sound. This bike has a full Jardine system. Fair amount of drone cruising around, but dang, does it sing when you're on it. As always, Youtube videos never do it any justice.

-Agility. At speed everything about the bike makes sense. It takes a bit more to turn in than my 500, but it is so much more planted. Really enjoyed the twisty roads. I didn't push too hard given my lack of experience and it not being my bike. The clutch, which was a bit vague at takeoff, made complete sense at speed. It was so smooth and direct, I had no problem going from my bike to making smooth, succinct shifts.

TL;DR - Rode a 600 for the first time. It was fast. :meangreen

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^Indeed.

I'd imagine the OP will be going the way of every other 250/300/500 owner and 'upgrading' to an RR after this season or the next. It seems logical, but I never did that, so what do I know?

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
^Indeed.

I'd imagine the OP will be going the way of every other 250/300/500 owner and 'upgrading' to an RR after this season or the next. It seems logical, but I never did that, so what do I know?
I went from RR to a more standard bike, best decision I ever made.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
^Indeed.

I might, it will depend on finances probably. I've got my eyes set on a Daytona :kiss Should have at least 8k miles under my belt by the end of this riding season. But I don't want to start the whole "when should I upgrade?" thing. Might ride the R6 for longer periods of time to see how well I hold up for >30 minutes on an SS.

Also, I forgot to add this in my first post. I consider myself responsible, conservative, quick-learning (blah blah blah, like everyone else), and there's NO WAY I could have started on that bike. Maybe some people can, but jeez, it would be a handful for a new rider.

I know everyone has an opinion about that, which is fine, but there's mine. Don't want to start another war about it, just thought I'd include it since I'm writing up my impressions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts