Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Man on a Mission
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started last week, I had trouble getting the bike to down-shift into 1st. Even at a stop it didn't want to go into 1st. After a couple days of not riding (busy, you know), I went to take it to work yesterday and low and behold it didn't want to shift into 3rd from 2nd. So I stopped and tried to get it into 1st, but she didn't want to go. After a little rolling and finesse it finally went into 1st. So I limped her home from where I had been. At home I took a quick look-over and the clutch seemed to have be at the right adjustment. So I, in my limited mechanical prowess, took it in to the dealer I bought it.

Their first impression from what I said it was doing was that the shift-fork(s) were the problem. However, they said it could have damaged the gears (they said maybe!), but they wouldn't know until they opened her up. Any impressions of this possible diagnosis? They estimated that depending on what all was damaged (if at all) that the bill could be between $500 and $1500. :eek:

Well, here it is finally some decent weather and I'm sidelined waiting on the diagnosis. :(

Anyone know of any independent motorcycle shops/mechanics in the SE Michigan area?

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
There is a guy on here that goes by hybrid. Ask him, he knows his stuff.

It might be something like what happened on my R6. There is a spring on the shift shaft that holds the trans in gear. The thing wouldn't stay in gear though.

I have the manual for my 2002 ZX-6R which should be the same, if you need some stuff scanned I can help you out.

There was a shop in Milan. My brother used to use them. It was a while ago. I'll have to ask him the name.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.