Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chain needs something but I am getting conflicting information what to use. I will be riding about 100 miles a day 5 days a week for commuting, so I figured I should so maintenance once a week. The bike has 300 miles on it now and was stored for three months when I bought it. One person says to use chain wax for the first few years cause the oil won't absorb really, the other says to always use oil. Anyone want to take a stab at explaining to me what the difference is and various pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't think I'm qualified to explain the differences, but I use Bel Ray Super Clean lube. It's very dry and doesn't fling off all over the bike.

The point about the oil "not absorbing" sounds bogus to me. I've read that all modern chain lube does for an o-ring chain is protect the o-rings. Most of the actual lube in the chain is contained inside the rings, from what I understand.

Whatever you decide to use, I'd suggest cleaning the chain before applying it for the first time. I found that the factory lube was really messy, and using less messy lube just resulted in both kinds of lubes flying off all over the bike. Once I cleaned all of the factory lube out of the chain with kerosene, the new lube stuck to the chain really well.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Wax is a pointless anacronism. Before O-ring chains, the hot lick was to melt some chain wax and dip the chain into it. Wax would flow into the pins and stay there. Its too inflexible to beat chain lube with modern chains.

Now, all you are doing is lubricating the o-rings. Get a motorcycle specific o-ring chain lubricant and forget about it. Whatever you use, its not a big deal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was really confused and the guy at a local place sold us a spray called Maxima chain wax: chain and cable lube but I was confused because I thought oil was a lube and wax protected from water or something... I'll wondering whether to try it and see if I like it, though I won't really know what I am looking for to tell whether to like it or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use maxima chain wax and it works good. Not to much fling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use Maxima Chain Guard lube and it makes a damn mess all over the rims, swingarm and oil pan. Gonna try putting less on next time, then switch brands if it doesn't help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yea, Maxima Chain Wax is top notch at not causing fling. There's actually a Ducati guy that had a piece about using Maxima for BOTH cleaning and lubing the chain. I tried it and found it to be quite good, leaving zero fling the next day (I always let the bike sit overnight after a good lube/cleaning). Basically, I focused on just the lower part of the chain, between the front and rear sprocket where I could easily access it. Holding a rag behind the chain to keep spray off the tire, I LIBERALLY sprayed the section of chain all over and then proceeded to scrub it down really good with either a brush or rag (in most cases, you could see dirt and grease get pushed off by the Maxima). Once I was done with that bit, I move the chain to the next section and repeat...until the whole chain is done and "dry". I let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then come back and spritz the entire chain with a light coating of Maxima, dabbing off any excess. I let it sit overnight. The next day, the chain is clean and has a slight golden glow to it from the Maxima that's coating the external faces of the chain. A spirited ride, for me at least, revealed no fling whatsoever.

I used PJ-1 before I tried the Maxima and usually had to clean up the wheel after the first ride due to the fling.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nothing, unless your rings are damaged no lube should get all the way in anyways, thats the rearson for the rings.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I use the blue cap PJ-1. No problems with it at all, and very little fling!

No matter what you get, make sure it's safe for o-ring chains (some lubes that aren't safe for o-ring chains will degrade the o-ring).

And when washing the bike, be careful not to spray the chain too much. It can actually force dirt and crud into the chain past the o-rings.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
fraggle1 said:
I don't think I'm qualified to explain the differences, but I use Bel Ray Super Clean lube. It's very dry and doesn't fling off all over the bike.

The point about the oil "not absorbing" sounds bogus to me. I've read that all modern chain lube does for an o-ring chain is protect the o-rings. Most of the actual lube in the chain is contained inside the rings, from what I understand.

Whatever you decide to use, I'd suggest cleaning the chain before applying it for the first time. I found that the factory lube was really messy, and using less messy lube just resulted in both kinds of lubes flying off all over the bike. Once I cleaned all of the factory lube out of the chain with kerosene, the new lube stuck to the chain really well.
Dido. I am DELIGHTED with BelRay. It keeps the chain the cleanest from debris being a wax-base. (My guess is most of the wax lubes are equal - being way cleaner than oil lubes.)

At first purchase, I also prepped my chain with kerosene to rid it of the old oil lubes.

Now I need only lube the chain every second weekend. I generally just lube one side (top or btm of chain). I will switch to the other face at the next lubing session. I also spray some extra lube on a cloth and wipe it onto the side faces of the chain (rust protection).

·
Registered
291 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Wax is a pointless anacronism. Before O-ring chains, the hot lick was to melt some chain wax and dip the chain into it. Wax would flow into the pins and stay there. Its too inflexible to beat chain lube with modern chains.

Now, all you are doing is lubricating the o-rings. Get a motorcycle specific o-ring chain lubricant and forget about it. Whatever you use, its not a big deal.
When I first started into this forum I remember a discussion about chain wax and thought someone was actually talking about doing that (wax dipping).

If anyone's ever carefully read the service manual, it says to use a lubricant that is safe for NON O-Ring chains. I thought that was weird that they said NON on a late model motorcycle?!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
bugduc said:
When I first started into this forum I remember a discussion about chain wax and thought someone was actually talking about doing that (wax dipping).

If anyone's ever carefully read the service manual, it says to use a lubricant that is safe for NON O-Ring chains. I thought that was weird that they said NON on a late model motorcycle?!
We do, in fact, have an o-ring chain, so we want an o-ring COMPLIANT lube. Must have been a typo.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
falco said:
Nothing, unless your rings are damaged no lube should get all the way in anyways, thats the rearson for the rings.
You are actually lubing the "rings" to prevent getting eaten-up by the metal parts. The chain itself is lubed and the o-ring is used to keep the lubricant inside. Now, if the ring gets scuffed or worn, then you lose the lube and there goes the chain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read on this forum someone used the maxima was to clean the chain. I just used the Maxima wax to clean the chain for the first time using a tooth brush then wiped off all the dirt and gook witha a rag... then put on a fresh coat of the maxima wax and let it sit over night. I have put on about 15 miles since and so far so good. no fling...

·
Registered
251 Posts
That was me I think....I picked it up from a Duc owner. Seems to work quite well, plus it's VERY easy. :D

amar67 said:
I read on this forum someone used the maxima was to clean the chain. I just used the Maxima wax to clean the chain for the first time using a tooth brush then wiped off all the dirt and gook witha a rag... then put on a fresh coat of the maxima wax and let it sit over night. I have put on about 15 miles since and so far so good. no fling...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks! excellent tip! now I'm at about 50 miles and still no fling... chain still looks clean... I have about a 1" slack on the chain though. I'm scared to adjust just yet as I don't want to over tighten... make sense? I got the bike with 2100 miles and assume it's been adjusted at least once...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
amar67 said:
Thanks! excellent tip! now I'm at about 50 miles and still no fling... chain still looks clean... I have about a 1" slack on the chain though. I'm scared to adjust just yet as I don't want to over tighten... make sense? I got the bike with 2100 miles and assume it's been adjusted at least once...
1" slack is about where you want it.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Cut and pasted from the manual... I think your chain is too tight if you measured correctly.

3. Adjust:
 drive chain slack

Drive drain slack​

55 mm (1.77  2.17 in)

Refer to "ADJUSTING THE DRIVE CHAIN SLACK" in chapter 3.

·
Registered
291 Posts
04Fizzer said:
1" slack is about where you want it.
The bike will pickup a nice "howl" with that little slack. Also not good for the engine components. I've noticed that the stealership techs around here like to make the chain that tight as they think everyone wants to be an R6 stunter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts