Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips?

I just don't stop, do I?:lao In the beginning of April was my first MX (second wedding :eek:nfloor ) and this saturday I am going to attempt my first harescramble.
We'll see how it goes. I just want to survive.....:lao I am good with the hill climbs and the fact it's on part of an MX course. What I am REALLY nervous about are the logs I have to go over. I've been practicing with less than positive results...I try to lift the front....nope. So far my most successful method is bonzai-bombing them.:eek:nfloor Not always effective but quite humorous on failure.
Well, I won't know until I try. So again, newbie tips are welcome....like air pressure....low like on the trails? Because really all I am going to do is go for a trail ride. No race, I just wanna live through it!!!!:banana

·
Swollen Member
4,967 Posts
Ride your own race. You will get tired and your ass will get sore. Now that that is outa the way...For the logs, You gotta stand up, grip with your knees and wheelie over them. That is all there is to it.

I think that you will find that a harescramble is a very fun event to be at. Both spectators and riders have a great time. I was just at one on sumday.

Here are my tips: If someone is behind you, get out of thier way. There is nothing worse than loosing time behind someone that wont move outa the way. Take your time. You will get tired so try to conserve energy throughout the race. Get a camelback if you dont have one. They are like $20 bux at most at walmart. Zip tie it to your chest protector. Make sure that your bike is ready to go, ie. tire pressure, spark plug is good, no loose bolts. You need someone to pit for you. They will need to fill up your gas tank. While you are pitted i reccomend getting a new set of goggles and gloves.

I hope i didnt leave anything out.......You will have a blast i promise.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
urgh....camelback. I don't think I can do one. When I broke my left clavicle in October, the dr left it heal on it's own....it is a very nasty sharp point. Any pressure on it and I am done. Let's put it this way, the wrong bra strap will make it ache (and I am far from having a rack, that is for certain). Wearing a backpack the wrong way with my laptop almost made me drop the R6 the other day. I am pretty sure there is no way I can wear a camel back. Even the cage shoulder strap hurts.

I am doing this race on my own. The hubby will be at work so I am not sure how much of a pit crew I am going to have. I am hoping my kids will step up for me.

Wheelie over it...yeah right. I can't get the front wheel off the ground to save my soul....I tried and tried and tried. I have spent the last two weekends trying to figure it out. I am just going to hope for the best!!!! :lao

Thanks for the tips. I will double check and see how a camelback would work with my acerbis chest protector. I've been wearing my Thor Impact Rig....It keeps everything where it belongs....

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I dunno, I seem to get over logs by just putting my weight towards the back before the front wheel hits it and giving it nice smooth throttle as the front wheel goes up and over if I'm feeling kina lazy and don't want to power over 'em. I grew up in the woods, actually I tend to be better at woods riding than on an MX track at times... :lol

Good luck... have fun, even though that never seems to be a problem with you... :cheers. :dblthumb

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
bdrushto said:
I dunno, I seem to get over logs by just putting my weight towards the back before the front wheel hits it and giving it nice smooth throttle as the front wheel goes up and over if I'm feeling kina lazy and don't want to power over 'em. I grew up in the woods, actually I tend to be better at woods riding than on an MX track at times... :lol

Good luck... have fun, even though that never seems to be a problem with you... :cheers. :dblthumb

That fairly well sums it up BB. Hare n Hounds are one of my favorite events. (basicly the same thing but on a long route rather than a moto track)

If it's wet Be EXTREMELY careful on the logs. They are nasty when wet. Have fun and be careful!! Don't get hurt!! Half of our gurl moto team is out of action! (Carolyn) :a2

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
If you can't zip tie the Camelbak to your chest protecter then strap it to your gas tank.

For getting over the logs? You can almost bounce it up like a sportbike. Remeber also, this is a race in the woods where the logs will generally be so you use it to your advantage. As long as the trail isn't ribboned off preventing you from going around the logs then choose a different path. Hell I have blazed a few new trails when I got behind slower rides that wouldn't move and when I raced quads, some of the guys would stick to only the qaud trail so I used the dirtbike trails sometimes too.

Run your pace and your speed will come on it's own. I seen a lot of good riders get hurt trying to follow a faster rider's route and pace. When you come thru the score's tent/area make sure they give you a green light or thumbs up before you take off again (them damn machines mess up from time to time). And the best advice I can....relax and enjoy it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts