Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just couldn't help myself, lol.... I live in a very rural small town area. Our local county humane society, and another local rescue group are both small privately run orgs. Not even a physical shelter or anything, all the shelter animals have to live in foster homes, vet kennels, etc around the area. And they're both always struggling both financially and with trying to find enough foster homes for all the animals. Anyways.... they had put up that they REALLY needed a temp foster home for these 3 young boys (all brothers). Apparently 2 of them had foster homes lined up already and they needed one more. I couldn't say no to a wet nose in need..... I went down last night and picked him up. It's only gonna be for about 10 days, he needs to heal up from his neuter surgery and get his ride all set up then him and his brothers are headed up to Washington DC to their forever homes

He's pretty shy, and sometimes just plain scared, but he seems to warm up to you pretty quick once he's around you for a bit. Poor little guy was actually born IN the shelter, so he probably hasn't had much exposure to the outside world just yet. He's still kinda scared to walk through doors, up stairs, etc. But I think we're gonna have a fun time in our 10 days together

I already took him on the grand tour through Tractor Supply last night! haha

Got him home and he seemed to make himself right at home

Introduced him to all my kiddos (one at a time).... doesn't seem to be any issues, I'd say, lol. Looks like he's already got the nightly routine of my lazy bums down good. Piper was up on the couch with me pouting, lol

He even voluntarily went in the crate and laid down

It may change as he gets more relaxed, but so far for a young pup he seems very well mannered! I'm excited to see how this goes...... this will be my first time fostering, even though it's only for a short time

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
you will miss him greatly when he has to go, I assure you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The sheer number of dogs that are saved by fostering in this country every year is staggering. Most shelters give a dog 1 - 2 weeks before they are put to sleep due to overcrowding and the time a foster home buys them is often enough for them to find a forever home. Keep it up!!! Me and my wife started a year ago and have seen 33 dogs go on to forever homes.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I just adopted a dog, she will come home tomorrow, a 3 year old female German Shepherd. She was abandoned, lived in the street for a while, and then was adopted by a family that couldn't handle a big dominant dog, so she went back to the shelter, well a foster home where she has been living for the last 3 months...

And then I found her!

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! He's doing great.... he was pretty scared and shy at first so I've been trying to get him out to new places and around new people and dogs, and even in this short time it's seemed to help him quite a bit. At first he just wanted to stay pressed right up against me or between my legs and with his tail tucked between his legs. Now he's wandering around, tail wagging, going up to people and letting them love on him, etc. Really starting to come out of his shell, it seems!

Took the boys to finish up christmas shopping for the kiddos the other night

The trainer I take mine to says she see's "foster fail" written all over me, lol. IDK what she's talking about.... :ahem: (and yes, I took a few selfies)

Made a couple videos of Turbo and Si playing last night too.... I'd say they like each other!

So yea... even if it is only 10 days, it's still gonna be hard letting this little boy go :(

But on a side note..... at least they'll have a good christmas, lol. They're not spoiled... not at all!

Even had to get the little guy a lil something.... couldn't leave him out

·
Registered
278 Posts
oh man that is awesome. i'm not sure how you are able to take in a dog and care for it only to let it go shortly thereafter.

again, kudos to you bro.

what's the name of your foster organization?

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
+ infinity

So great you're doing this. Would have a hard time letting him go! Such a cutie! I just added a new dog to my household last night. Got him off FB. Unbelievable how many dogs are up on FB right now. Lady had the one I got up on FB for a few days. She'd gotten him from someone who couldn't take care of him. She really couldn't feed him but took him in. He made himself right at home last night.

Thanks to you again!

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
What an unbelievavly awesome looking dog. In California, all that's left after the chiuaua and pomeranian and shitzu vogues are a bunch of overbred toys. Sometimes I hate this state. Dogs are so underappreciated here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What an unbelievavly awesome looking dog. In California, all that's left after the chiuaua and pomeranian and shitzu vogues are a bunch of overbred toys. Sometimes I hate this state. Dogs are so underappreciated here.
Absolutely, especially those who discriminate against "pit bulls" when, in my experience, are the sweetest and extremely loyal dogs. But then again, it's all in how you raise them but breed and natural instinct do have a role to play in the personality.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Step 1: take dog down to a good pick up spot, and socialize him.

Step 2: tell the crowd of people talking about how cute he is that you're a foster care taker, helping the pup untill he gets placed in a permement home.

Step 3: enjoy more sex than you previously thought possible.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Absolutely, especially those who discriminate against "pit bulls" when, in my experience, are the sweetest and extremely loyal dogs. But then again, it's all in how you raise them but breed and natural instinct do have a role to play in the personality.
It is the smarter dogs who are both very loyal and can be aggressive. But I've read quite a bit of human history, probably more than many eith a history degree. I don't blame smart dogs for honing in on their defensive nature towards us. I feel like biting people myself at times.

But I'm also against all forms of breeding. If most dogs wind up looking like coyotes, let it be. Their gene pool deserves survival. Theyve been so good to man.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Good stuff. Nice looking pup.

·
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well this utterly full of personality little boy Si has been at our house for only about 2 weeks now, and he is without a doubt one of those dogs that you just couldn't NOT love and has already wiggled his way right into all of our hearts. Everybody has been more than welcoming of this little ball of energy, and even rearranged themselves to make room on the bed for him

(seriously who couldn't like that face??)

But Si and Turbo seemed to take an undeniable liking to each other rather quickly..... I guess cuz they're both high energy and both love to play...

... which they do every single night (friendly little game of bitey face here.... the girls were not amused... or even awake for that matter, lol)

Anyways.... it looks like Si's time with us is coming to a close, as he's set to travel up to DC with his brother Stump this following Tuesday, so I have to drop him off Monday evening. Everybody has been giving me crap because they know how quickly I get attached to dogs (which I do, I'm not gonna lie) and how hard it would be to let him go (which it is). As if that's not bad enough, I catch Si and Turbo today in a pose

I think they're trying to tell me something here, lol. Talk about guilt trip from hell!! hahah. They're not stupid, they know what's up

I've actually gave it lots of thought, but I think it's best I don't overload myself and keep a spot open to help another foster baby that needs some help. But I certainly am gonna miss this little hambone :(

Reactions: kirkeb and scythe08

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Awesome Job, brotha! I fostered Pits when I had my house here in Salt Lake City and My Last Foster just broke my heart. I really fell for her, but I could tell that She had too much love for just one Person(Me) So I let her be adopted and WOW, did She explode! Her new Mommy now fosters as well and this Dog, that was labeled too aggressive and unadoptable, is now helping other "Unadoptable dogs"

Reactions: april666

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome! I have been fostering Australian Shepherds for a couple of years and, while I do get very attached, it is so rewarding to help these guys get out of the shelters and into real homes! Such a great feeling when they get adopted :)
Congrats Jared on your first foster, he is definitely a cutie. And now you can help another, and another, and another..... unfortunately there is never ending need.
Fostering and adopting also helps to get rid of the stigma that dogs at the shelter are there because they are bad. I have pulled many dogs from shelters and they have ALL been good dogs! Such a shame that there is such discrimination against them. When people visit they can't believe that my "purebred" gorgeous dogs are all rescues!
Don't shop, Adopt!
OK, sorry for the ramble :) Let's ride!

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
He is so cute. looks just like a dog my wife brought home years ago. We named him Max. He sleeps in our front yard below a garden of iris and daffodils.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts