Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a lot today so that one of my roommates could show me how they start people out in the MSF course (just so that I could get comfortable with the EX500 I just bought, and would be ready for the course, since I have never operated a vehicle before). Started out with me getting used to the friction zone on the clutch, went so far as to do a slalom at ~5mph after I finally stopped paddlewalking. Nothing fast, nothing extreme, but I DID it! I'm still buzzing off the excitement from doing this--five hours ago. I can't wait to take the MSF and get proficient at riding so that I can take her out of a lot, and actually use the bike to get around!

·
Registered
40 Posts
when you say never operating a vehicle before, does that mean you also dont have regular driving experience? msf wont teach you the rules of the road and things like that....i just took it and they basically teach you what you need to know to ride a motorcycle...they expect u already know the rules of the road and whatnot...they tought us what you need to know on how driving situations on 2 wheels differ from a car, how to operate a motorcycle, and the laws that differ from motorcycles and cars.

but dont worry about knowing how to operate a motorcycle...theyll teach you everything from the ground up- theres people there who never operated a manual transmission (car or motorcycle) who went from learning about the friction zone to being able to do perfect u-turns/figure 8s within 2 days. id say even if it wasnt a requirement in florida if ur under 21 to take the course, i woulda taken it anyways...i learned so much that i would have rather not learned from experience (braking in turns/swirves, feeling more confident that a bike wont tip over even at the slowest speed as long as u have momentum, etc)...well worth the $225

·
Registered
968 Posts
Even after the MSF that parking lot will be your best friend. That way you can work with your bike in a controlled environment. You don't want to practice emergency braking on the street and have it be practice vs. a learned, controlled action.

You picked a good starter bike and are doing your MSF. That's a solid start to your riding career. Have fun.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Oh yeah, the MSF course is massively expensive now. But it's a hell of a course still. And honestly, I had a blast doing it. Just knowing the progress I was making...and getting a chance to show up the other riders in my group (all the guys my age kept putting a foot down in the figure 8 :twofinger )... It was great.

I've got an EX-500 too, so we're in the same boat here. The EX is a great bike to start out on and you should be able to translate what you learned in MSF right over to it pretty easily. Only differences are of course more power, higher center of gravity since MSF uses low, mini-cruiser type bikes, and the EX's are heavier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tiamat said:
Did someone say $225 for an MSF course? Wow, times have changed. When I took it, the cost was only $25
yah, everywhere in florida is $225...harley does it for like $350...i was a bit ticked that it was that much, but i think its sorta good to be that much- if ur not willing to cough up that much money, you shouldnt be on a bike

it was well worth $225 for me tho...like i said- theres beyond alot of things that have helped me when just riding around my neighborhood for the past few days...things that if i didnt learn from the course, the bike would be a wreck right now- biggest being dont use the brakes in turns- probly among the most important thing u learn in the course (to me at least)...the figure 8 seemed rediculous and useless at the time, but its a great way to learn counterweighting...ive had to do some tight u-turns in a little 2lane road in my neighborhood a few times that id probly have to duckwalk around with if i didnt take the course...now i just feather the clutch, turn the wheel, tilt the bike, and counterweight and get around smoothly and cleanly :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I took mine at a Harley dealership and it was $250 (whereas other MSF classes around the city are $100-175

But, considering that it was a 4 day class (with 2 FULL days of riding), all of these things were included:

Complete tour of the dealership
Lunch on 2 full days (choice of pizza or Subway)
Bottled water (unlimited)
500cc bikes to train on
$25 gift certificate for their gift shop
and a buch of promotional stuf (pens, mugs, stickers, etc.)

So, the way I see it, what you pay for is what you get. I'm glad that I took it there

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Where there are prices all went up around $100.00 just a short while ago. Still be it costly or free it is well worth taking. I have never met a rider after that said he did not learn quite a bit.

True I have never taken it for my learning curve was a bit different as I started or illegally riding in the bush 1/2 block away from my home immediatly after WWII & on till mid-July of '64. By '47 I was into flat tracking & dirt hill climbing & by '48 into many forms of dirt comp sports most knew nothing about plus road racing on old airports with strawbales to force in more banking around them.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good for you, how fun!! Your really smart by taking the MSF. Alot of ppl don't bother. It's unbelieveable what you learn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats

Yeah i just started this summer with my 500r's. you should have a lot of fun in the weeks ahead....and while were talking about starting on 500r's does anyone know where I can get some frame sliders for mine??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.