Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday it finally happened...saw my first wreck involving a motorcycle. I have seen videos and read posts but something about seeing the dude lying on the ground and his gsxr half-in and half-out the Acura (I think that is what it was) kinda freaked me out. I have been lucky enough to avoid any close calls so far, but I have only been riding a little over a year. I went for a ride later and I couldn't get myself to really ride her hard... I think I was just a little bothered by the image in my head. I think I just need to ride it out of my system?!

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
The hought will fade away and you will ride like you did before. It is all a mental thing at this point.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
As horrible as that accident sounds, keeping things like that in the back of your mind is what might keep you safe. Don't ride as if your going to get killed but always try to keep yourself in check. As fas as not being able to get that thought out of your mind, that is normal your only human. I know if I saw something like that it would be with me for a while too. Ride like most of us do, always thinking that car next to you or that car pulling out into the road is going to do something stupid because every now and then THEY DO!! Be safe

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle accident first hand but I CAN say that when I am riding, if I'm riding my bike hard and flying down the highway I start envisioning in my head my 2 small children @ home, the rest of my family, and I slow the bike down bringing myself back to reality. We are only human.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
mj31 said:
As horrible as that accident sounds, keeping things like that in the back of your mind is what might keep you safe. Don't ride as if your going to get killed but always try to keep yourself in check. As fas as not being able to get that thought out of your mind, that is normal your only human. I know if I saw something like that it would be with me for a while too. Ride like most of us do, always thinking that car next to you or that car pulling out into the road is going to do something stupid because every now and then THEY DO!! Be safe
+1. Eventually it will fade out and won't be as vivid. But the faded memory will always serve as a reminder of your own mortality and the inherent frailty of humans.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I was reminded of this because we went by the spot where it happened again on Saturday. A friend and I were riding leisurely down a 2 lane highway (speed limit 55) when we came up to stopped traffic. We split up to the front (legal in CA) just before the Coroner arrived. Seeing them load the rider into the Coroner's wagon is a sight that I won't soon forget and this was over 2 years ago.

Apparently a cage drifted over the double-yellow and hit the Ducati rider head-on. That particular spot in the road is quite scenic and I could see how one could lose focus in a cage. There was a memorial along the side of the road for about a year which made it hard to forget. The memorial's been gone now for over a year, but I still think about it when riding by.

You do get on with your life, but it leaves an impression. As was said above, it can help to keep things in check. If you find yourself dwelling on it months from now, you might want to reconsider riding.

Stay safe out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts