Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this question has been beaten to death because I've read many forums and other post on this topic. With that being said, Ive only read one that was the same situation that I'm in(but the guy was talking about starting on a litre bike). I'm 18, a full time student with a decent paying part time job (about $800 a month) and I'm interested in buying my first sport bike. I have some two wheel experience. Since I was about 13 I've ridden dirt with my friends mostly using their bikes. I got an 06 crf450 when I was 15 and tore up the trails near my house until a year ago when I sold it to help get my car. I also rode a Honda metropolitan 50cc scooter for about 4 months (friend let me borrow his while I was saving for a car). Now that I have a car I want to get a street bike. I've always been in love with the hobby and the community. It seems anybody on 4 wheels who doesn't know the joy about 2 wheeling it hates riders. I've had my eye on the cbr f4i for quite sometime. Now I know a 250cc is always recommended and I'm going to take the msf class so I'll have a chance to get a feel for one. But is the cbr f4i too much of a bike for somebody who has some seat time? I am open to any advice/tips.

Additional info:
• I always wear gear: Full face helmet, jacket, gloves at the minimum. I will never go without gear (seen my uncle get a bad case of road rash after going down at about 35 mph with no jacket).

•Thanks to scholarships my parents only have to pay a very small amount for college so that doesn't play a factor in anything.

•I do have friends who started out on 500s, and 600s (2 on cbr and ninja 500s, 2 on R6s an 1 on a zx6r) and they all have ridden dirt with me and think I'll be fine with a cbr f4i. But second opinions are always useful. Thanks for your time guys.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
plenty of threads on this topic over the years...even this month. feel free to enjoy prior dialogue...nothing significant has changed on the subject.

·
Registered
917 Posts
As you said you have seat time riding dirt bikes and a 50cc scooter but neither of those come close to the sharp steering, intense power, and grabby brakes that you would experience on even an F4i. I'd recommend sticking with either a Ninja 650 or SV650 at most before going for a near 100 horsepower inline-4.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have the usual suspects to choose from - SV650, GSX650F, 650R, FZ6R, Ninja 250/300, CBR500 etc.

I started on an FZ6R and will be graduating to something else once it sells. I suggest any of those bikes but feel the best fit is either a Ninja 300, CBR500, or Ninja 650.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I had a lot of dirt experience and started on an sv650, it was a steep learning curve and I hit pavement a few times my first year riding it but was always wearing full gear and walked away without injury.

If I could go back I'd probably buy it again only because it was a steal at $2800 with low miles, but a 250 or 500 is the smartest choice you can make. Remember its your first bike, not your last. Also, its wayy more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take my input for what it is: one guy's opinion.

I started riding at 24, and my first bike was a cbr 600 f3. I put a ton of miles on it, over 40,000. It was my only transportation for the last two years of college. During that time, my wife got a ninja 250. I learned more goofing off on that little bike in the back roads than I did in months of city riding on my f3.

I sold my f3 and bought a 2003 7x-6r. I turned that bike into a track bike, did track days, eventually went to race school, and got my race license with a regional organization. I'd never call myself fast or anything, but I'd be kidding if I did not say I had more skill than the average sport bike rider on city streets.

I quit riding for around 7 years because of life. I'm getting back into it now. I've ridden the 2013 GSXR-750 and 1000, the zx-6r and 10r, and the 2012 CBR 600RR... none of them were intimidating, but let me tell you which bike I'm going to buy next month.

A 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. I'm going to replace the handlebars with clip ons, and put more aggressive rearsets on it, re-spring the forks, and put a better rear shock on. Then I'm going to spend the next six months or so riding the hell out of that thing, re-acclimatizing myself to riding. My wife will take over that bike from me once she's ready, (she's getting a used night hawk 250) and I'll move up.

Find a used 08-12 ninja 250 if you want to have some money for mods, or get a 300. Do your msf course, get comfortable, prep it and go do track days. Ride it until you can ride it right without thinking about it. You will get so much more out of a larger bike once you do that, that it is worth way more than you'll pay for it. I cannot describe adequately how fun those things are to ride.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree on the 300 ninja or a similar 500 model. I rode my ninja like it was a bicycle after I got acclimated to riding after the msf course. I just sold my 250 after a year and a half of having it. To be honest, I miss it. Hell if any dealer around me had a ninja 300 that they would let me demo I would probably buy it. I'm looking at the ninja 650 now or cbr500. Oh and maintenance on a 250 is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't think anyone would need more than a 250/300/500 to start off on. A good idea in my opinion is to also look for something older so it will be cheap, and you can toy with it and even maybe learn how to mess with the carbs, things that not everyone knows how to do.

·
Registered
848 Posts
for all of you folks looking at the 300, ya might want to look at those forums and read up on all the issues the 300 has. i WAS gonna buy a 300 until i did my research. I'd go with one of the 250s. CBR250 or 500 if you just gotta have new

back to your regular posting..

·
Registered
234 Posts
for all of you folks looking at the 300, ya might want to look at those forums and read up on all the issues the 300 has. i WAS gonna buy a 300 until i did my research. I'd go with one of the 250s. CBR250 or 500 if you just gotta have new

back to your regular posting..
That's common on new items that just come out. The ninjette forums are pretty good for information. I hear the cbr 500 is almost just as heavy as a 650r but only a little bit more powerful than the 250/300.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts