Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time reading the stickies and old threads, tons of great information here. Also, pretty clear about y'alls position on what makes a good first bike.

I've wanted a bike for a long time now, but the Wife would not allow it and I went with that. Now, that shit is over - so I am finally getting my bike.

So, here is my problem. A good friend is getting deployed to Iraq. He knows how much I want a bike and that I cannot afford to drop $3,000 - $6,000 on a new bike, so he is going to sell me his. It is a 2002 Honda CBR 600 F-Sport. He bought it new, been dropped once but only light scrapes. My problem is, after reading a ton of threads, is that I am worried that it will be too much bike for my first - but he is giving me and AMAZING deal on it. Not sure what to do...

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Welcome to SBN. :)

It's difficult to say if it's out of the question in your case, since we don't know anything about you. The general answer would be no it's not the best choice, but... go take the MSF course and see how you feel about it after that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to SBN. :)

It's difficult to say if it's out of the question in your case, since we don't know anything about you. The general answer would be no it's not the best choice, but... go take the MSF course and see how you feel about it after that.
Already signed up for the MSF course here. I want to do this right, and not fuck up myself or my bike.

As for me? I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. Grew up with tuned Snowmobiles and Quads, but no bikes. I drive a big ass truck, and still treat everyone else on the road like they are idiots that will run into me at any time. I'm 26 and too old to give a shit about showing off or impressing anyone. I have two very good friends that have been riding for a while (both have Ducati Monsters') who are going to be my wingmen(girls). As for why I am buying a bike, it's all about the freedom...

I know everyone says they will respect the bike and such. I can honestly say I KNOW there will be times where I will want to open it up a bit...but I think of it like when I was growing up with snowmobiles. We had tuned fast as shit Arctic Cats and I learned on one that was way too fast for how old I was - and whenever I thought about opening it up I always backed down. I knew that I didn't know enough about riding to handle it at speeds faster than I was going - I'm hoping I still have that mentality when I get on a bike.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Well... no previous two-wheel experience at all is negative.

Take the MSF course before you even think about riding the CBR. It would be best if you could find something more new-rider-friendly for the first season. It's going to be a challenge to say the least.

Read one or two of the books recommended in the stickies as well. At least arm yourself with as much info as possible if you are set on getting this bike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... no previous two-wheel experience at all is negative.
Well, I had a bicycle as a kid. :lol

Take the MSF course before you even think about riding the CBR. It would be best if you could find something more new-rider-friendly for the first season. It's going to be a challenge to say the least.

Read one or two of the books recommended in the stickies as well. At least arm yourself with as much info as possible if you are set on getting this bike.
Thankfully the course here will let you take it before you even get your permit, which is what I am planning on doing. I would love to start out on a 250, but, my friend is letting me steal this bike from him for $500 (I owe him serious amounts of beer when he gets back from Iraq) so it's real hard to want to spend more on something else. So, I'm looking at his bike not because of what it is or how it looks - but more because of the fact that it is a great price and it get's me on two wheels (again though, I like being alive and in one piece!).

On a scale of 1 -10 (10 being BAD) - how does an '02 CBR 600 rate as far as Newb Friendliness (ie, not super twitchy, etc etc)?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I think the MSF course requires that you at least know how to ride a bicycle (or at least the one I took did), so at least you have that part down. :)

It's not just the power, it's the brakes and the ergos that make race-replicas unfriendly. I've not ridden that particular bike, so I'm speculating that it has low clip-ons and a race-bred seating position. Those things make low speed maneuvers more difficult when you are first learning.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not the best option. Maybe 7 on your scale? 6.5? It's hard to say. If nothing bad happens to you, then it was lower. If something bad does happen to you, then it was higher. :lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not just the power, it's the brakes and the ergos that make race-replicas unfriendly. I've not ridden that particular bike, so I'm speculating that it has low clip-ons and a race-bred seating position. Those things make low speed maneuvers more difficult when you are first learning.
Clip-Ons?

It's a common bike, so I am assuming most have seen it. But, this is the bike for those that haven't:

Not THE bike, but identical to the one my friend wants to sell me.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not the best option. Maybe 7 on your scale? 6.5? It's hard to say. If nothing bad happens to you, then it was lower. If something bad does happen to you, then it was higher. :lol
Heh...way to cover those bases. :D Glad you're being honest though, I want to go into this with as much information as I can.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Yep, I know what bike it is, I just haven't ridden a CBR600 in a long time so didn't want to make judgements on it without disclosing that I hadn't ridden that particular year (you'll understand why after you've been here a while. :D )

Clip-ons are different from handlebars in that they clamp directly to the upper fork legs, they are lower, and make controlling the bike different than a bike with higher handlebars. Generally speaking, mastering low speed skills is more challenging with them.

And yeah, that bike is not for inexperienced riders. You need to think this through a bit. It's a good deal you are getting. But that doesn't make it a good bike to learn on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're getting an amazing deal on it, I wouldn't pass it up. I started on the same bike and I'm still here. Just be responsible and take it easy for awhile.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
$500 take the bike

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm in the same boat, well not the $500 boat I wish I was in that one! Hehe but I also just got a CBR600 as my first but I'm waiting on the MSF before I ride. I'm also a little worried it could be too much even though its just what I always wanted.

I figure I'll take the MSF and then roll it around a bit, parking lots etc and see how it goes..hey if it seems too much we can both sell off and pick up a couple of spankin' new Ninja 250R's haha, just remember the option is always there if its too much. Guess the main thing for me right now is just the weight of it when tipping it a little side-to-side. I've even started working out more :lol

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Military I take it Java?

Hopefully you are taking the MSF through UH, since thats the only place the state will take MSF training for a license.

I "lost" my endorsement when I was in Hawai'i. I renewed my license in Indiana when I didn't have a bike briefly and they didn't put it back on. Damn if they didn't make me go back to a permit. This gets compounded be the fact they only do motorcycle tests over next to the stadium once every two weeks and then only 8 till 9 took me 8 months to get my endorsement back.

You'll get good at low speed real fast with the traffic on the island though. It gets pretty scary on H1.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And yeah, that bike is not for inexperienced riders. You need to think this through a bit. It's a good deal you are getting. But that doesn't make it a good bike to learn on.
That's a point worth quoting. I think, like some have said, after taking the MSF and tooling around a parking lot with the CBR (before I seal the deal) will give me a good idea if it's going to be too much for me.

Military I take it Java?

Hopefully you are taking the MSF through UH, since thats the only place the state will take MSF training for a license.

I "lost" my endorsement when I was in Hawai'i. I renewed my license in Indiana when I didn't have a bike briefly and they didn't put it back on. Damn if they didn't make me go back to a permit. This gets compounded be the fact they only do motorcycle tests over next to the stadium once every two weeks and then only 8 till 9 took me 8 months to get my endorsement back.

You'll get good at low speed real fast with the traffic on the island though. It gets pretty scary on H1.
Yeah, I was thinking of taking the MSF just for the knowledge at Pearl Harbor (free). Ride on my permit for a few months, then take the MSF at UH and get my full license.

So, you lived here huh? No matter what bike I end up with, the H1/2/3 (nasty thruways/highways for those not from Hawaii) are off limits until I am real comfortable. But yeah, traffic here sucks, so lots of low-speed driving / maneuvering.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're getting an amazing deal on it, I wouldn't pass it up. I started on the same bike and I'm still here. Just be responsible and take it easy for awhile.
So, any stories / thoughts from when you started on this bike?

$500 take the bike
Heh, I agree to an extent...but I would rather turn down a great deal then end up destroying myself and the bike in a few months - if this bike is really a monster to learn on.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
So, you lived here huh? No matter what bike I end up with, the H1/2/3 (nasty thruways/highways for those not from Hawaii) are off limits until I am real comfortable. But yeah, traffic here sucks, so lots of low-speed driving / maneuvering.
The course at Pearl was out on Ford Island when I was there. It was a good excuse to get off work on a Friday and ride all day.

Get out and practice in a parking lot first, they aren't going to have a lot of pity if you show up to an experienced rider course and drop the bike.

With the kind of deal you are getting I'm not going to knock you for getting that bike. But you are going to be on the wrong end of the power curve for a while.

practice practice practice.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
if its only $500 BUY THE BIKE! and park it. then buy a cheap 250 and learn on that. The price of used 250's is pretty stable so by the time you're ready to sell it, you'd probably be able recover most of the money you paid for it. Then, enjoy your f4.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if its only $500 BUY THE BIKE! and park it. then buy a cheap 250 and learn on that. The price of used 250's is pretty stable so by the time you're ready to sell it, you'd probably be able recover most of the money you paid for it. Then, enjoy your f4.
I agree, but out here in Hawaii all the 250's I'm seeing are around $2,000 and up - and I just don't have the cash laying around for that.

Well, except for this one: 1999 Ninja 250. Great to learn on

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
I agree, but out here in Hawaii all the 250's I'm seeing are around $2,000 and up - and I just don't have the cash laying around for that.

Well, except for this one: 1999 Ninja 250. Great to learn on
I agree with the above - buy the bike, park it, and learn on something else.

You should be spending anywhere from $500 to $1000 on proper gear, so if money is an issue, you need to consider this. Bikes are not cheap hobbies.

Also think about insurance premiums, maintenence, registration costs, etc.

·
Duc(k)
2,001 Posts
I would take the MSF. Then start looking for a bike. Also think about spending a few hundred for gear. I know myself I did not have all of it for a while. But I made sure that I had a helmet jacket and gloves at least.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts