Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have been trolling the forum for the past month or 2 now reading everything i can about motorcycles- everything from gear to wear, to saftey, to general bike discussions. I have been trying to find a EX500 up in the Rochester NY area but i have had no luck :mad: Just recently i have found a 95 ZX6R for sale up here for a good deal and i would like to know everyones input on it. I really havent seen anyone ask about this bike, most new kids ask about like gixxer or R6 and i see them get shot down really fast. Im guessing the same thing with this one and alot of people will say its not a good first bike. I am 18 years old (i know i know all irresponsable because of my age and stuff) but i am taking this sport as serious as a heart attack. I plan on taking the MSF within the next month and i do have a little bit of experience on a friends shadow. Thank you for your responses ahead of time and please be polite if your going to say somthing :)
Thanks,
Mike

P.S. If anyone lives in the Rochester,NY area and wants to talk sometime PM me! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any perticular reason why? Same reason why R6 is a bad idea probaly? just to much to handle? Is it at least a better choice then a R6 or is it about the same?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
You know, honestly the older ZX6R's like you are talking about are real tame bikes. I started on a CBR 600 F2 and I thought that was alot of bike at the time. But, the Ninja EX500 is an excellent starter bike, and also not a bad little trackday bike either. In the end, the decision is up to you, I say go for the older 600 at MOST. Stay away from any newer 600+, or just get the EX500 and enjoy it!

Jason

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
stick to it and find a suzuki gs500 or ex500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i still havent found any luck on a ex500, i think im going to go with the 95 zx6r because it is such a good deal, 2500 for it and its perfect for my budget. I know i probaly seem stupid for it but ive heard from other places too that the older 600's arent really that bad compared to the newer ones.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can think of better bikes for a beginner... but I could certainly think of worse.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wrong on the count of older 600s being good starter bikes. Older 600s are only tame compared to the bikes that replaced them, not to the riders themselves. A mid-90s ZX-6R or an F2 is still a potent piece of machinery for a new rider to handle and will compound errors just as fast as a new R6.

Keep on the hunt for a 500. Bad time of year to be looking. The buying burst is over and the summer slack time is in swing. Riders rarely sell mid-season.

Some additional info to help you:

http://www.beginnerbikes.com/editorials/formequalsfunction.htm
http://www.beginnerbikes.com/editorials/formequalsfunction2.htm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its hard to pass up good deals like that. I probably would not have been able to. There is still a fair amount of power on that bike, and I can tell you that I have rode the 2k zx-6 and that Im much happier on my little ex500.

Don't underestimate the ninja 500 just becuase everyone labels it as a starter bike. And be careful no matter what you choose.

Here is a 250 for sale in your neck of the woods.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50019&item=2483930903&rd=1
I can't give an opionion on it cause I've never rode one...but...its a start.

At least your looking at an older 600, just remember that that bike was badass back in its day. Just becuase its older does not mean it can't kick your ass. And it is a decent deal on it from what you've said.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Find a Kaw 250, kaw 500, older Suz GS500 or similar naked bike. Save on insurance while gaining riding experience.

·
Registered
813 Posts
95 ZX6R? ..not the best idea but it sure beats buying a 2004 R6 or something!

If you JUST HAVE TO have it, get it and be safe. Take the MSF (and graduate) before buying any bikes.. you might change your mind after the MSF.. take the bike out in an empty parking lot and practice everything you did in the MSF class with the ZX6R... practice for good 2 days.. then take the bike out where there isn't a lot of traffic. be safe, and be smart

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started on a ’96 ZX-6R (Basically the same biek) about a year ago and still ride it today. I had plenty of dirt experience and a little, street experience, drove fast cars, had responsibility, etc., all the things you hear newbies use a reasons to justify buying a 600, but this thing still scared the crap outta me. It’s not exactly the best starter bike in the world. You’d be better off to keep looking for a 500. I used my experience on my bike to lead my younger brother in the right direction. I bought an ’89 Ninja 250 this spring for next to nothing b/c it needed some work. I now have the think up and running, and my brother is learning to ride on it, and he loves it. As he puts it to his friends, “Yeah, it’s slow, ugly, and old, but I didn’t pay for it and at least now I’ll be able to live to buy a b***** bike next year. And what do you ride?"

·
Registered
646 Posts
Normally I like to take the high road in these kind of discussions. First I'd tell you that the bike of your choice "X" is way too much for you and then I would post a link to a beginner bikes website. Next I would tell you stories I know about guys who started to big and wiped out. But this time...I dunno.
I started out on a 1992 Katana 750. It probably wasnt the best choice in the world, but it wasnt bad for me at all. Probably the weight of it was worse than the power. My only previous experience was dirtbikes about 10 years ealier for one summer. I have to admit though that I think Im a different kind of person. Im very patient and I dont fool around in general, so it was easy for me to stay under control. After one year on that bike I moved up to a 2001 ZX6R. It was a smooth transition and I dont regret how I got here. Your already a step ahead of me because you are going to take the MSF and I never did (although I finally am in Oct.). Make a wise decision for yourself and the kind of person that you know you are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts