Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I'm in the market for a first bike. I have already done MSF and am looking at some older 600cc sportbikes. There are a few in my area and my questions are about what the right price would be.

Bike 1: 94 ZX-6E
The bike runs just fine. The bike was painted blue but it was dropped on the right side in a low speed lowside. There are millimeter deep scratches on the front fairing and on the right side. How expensive is that to fix? Do I need to buy all new plastics? Also the tranny is reversed, so 1st gear is up and the rest are down. When I was on the bike I had a very hard time finding neuteral, but the owner did it with ease(I guess this would take practice). Is this setup common. The tires on the bike have a decent amount of tread but he has had the same tires since he got the bike 2 years ago. Would I have to change them? What do you guys think would be a fair price on this bike. The guy was cool and it seems like he took very good care of the bike(it runs flawlessly) and it has 17k miles. He also said he would deliver it for me(only 11 miles away) Asking price is 2700

Bike 2: 94 CBRF2

This bike has 27k miles. I have not seen this bike yet because it is an hour and a half away. From the pictures it looks really nice(custom paint job). It is also jetted, with exhaust(other bike has that too). The bike has a 520 chain kit(not sure what this does) and is cosmetically perfect. The owner claims it runs flawlessly as well. If I bought this bike, I would have to ride it back but Im pretty sure I can handle it. I have ridden my buddy's 05 ZX-6R a couple times at decent speeds. The owner wants 2500 firm but I'm sure I can lower the price a bit.

I'm really broken between these 2 bikes. If Bike 1 is fairly cheap to fix up I want to go for it. My only concern minus the repair costs is the reversed tranny. Are there any setbacks with this. Oh yeah, he fixed the infamous 2nd gear problem on it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
VTX1300c rider
1,082 Posts
the reversed shift pattern, once you get used to it it is easy and fun on long straight-aways and if you don't like it it's easy to remove, it should only be a kit on the shift linkage

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also what would be a fair price on both bikes. I don't know much about pricing. I looked up on kbb and it said both bikes were about 3k. The ninja is rashed up though so im not sure. I don't really care that much about looks(although I would have it fixed eventually) but don't want to pay for more then the bike is worth.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any bike gurus that know a lot about used bike values?(I'd hate to spend too much) :feedback :smilierr

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Go take a look at the CBR,27,000 miles on a Honda is not much.and most bikes hold there value fairly well.

Remember this,more than likely you will drop it as most do with there first bike.I've dropped every bike I ever owned at least once.With an older used bike it won't feel so bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Plastics arnt cheap and can take some time and effort if you want used ones that match your bike. A new or unscratched used lower fairing (these are the big ones on the side of the bike) are going to run between 250-130 each. If you don't care about matching the colors of the rest of the bike, you can find them easier and cheaper. They are both relatively common bikes so parts shouldnt be that difficult to find, but you will have to keep checking ebay and other used bike part dealers about twice a week till you find the part if you want used parts. I agree with snakemann, neither strike me as that great a deal. Hondas are a really solid, and that katana seems over priced. You can get a much newer katana for the price he is asking. Your best bet for a beginner bike is one with lower miles and some scratches. The scratches will reduce the price and chances are you are going to add to the scratches when you drop/lay down the bike, so it's best to save money on something you will most likely mess up anyway. Lower miles will generally give the bike longer life, less problems, and will be less quirky. I got my 94 yamaha fzr 600 with some scratches and 5k miles for $2100. Another good rule to follow is buy a bike that you feel pretty certain that a year or two later you will be able to get back about what you paid for it as long as you don't seriously mess it up. Lets say you get the katana for 2200 (thats 500 less than asking which would be a good negotiated price), a year or two from now you probally won't be able to get the same 2200 back from it. Keep looking, honda's in general are going to be a little more pricey for a same miles, same condition bike of another make just because they have a trend of being very reliable. I'm not saying 27k miles is alot for a honda, but that means its due for a complete check of everything before you can continue, and if the previous person didn't do that or hasn't maintained the bike like he should have then you are going to spend some money. With a lower mile bike, its still smart to look over everything, but you will feel alot more comfortable that everything on the bike is working properly. I know you are eager to buy a bike asap because you just finished the msf, but don't shoot yourself in the foot by spending more money because you want to ride now. I can understand taking a little hit so you can ride sooner. When you see a good deal you are going to have a feel for it, and then all you have to do is check it out and make sure it is what it is. It took me 2 months to find my bike, I looked in about 3-4 different places selling bikes. Check craigslist daily (www.craigslist.com then click your area, then click motorcycles), check ebay in your area, check any and all news papers w/ classifieds as frequently as possible. Don't buy a bike w/o looking at it. Once your used to the routine you can check most classifieds in under a minute. So lets say 5 minutes a day, for 2 months totals 300 minutes, or 5 hours. 5 hours isn't much time especially if it saves you hundreds on a bike. ($100/5hours= $20/hr), and thats only if you save 100 dollars! So in short it pays to take your time and look around, you'll know when a good deal arises, just make sure it is what it is. Ask as many questions from the owner as you can think of, and get a feel for how confident he is about the condition of the bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When buying new I'll want to change the fork oil, tires, chain, engine oil, oil filter, if carb'ed rebuild the carbs, and last seriously consider a valve adjustment if the mileage warrants it. There's a huge difference in $ between doing this yourself and paying someone else to do it. Eitherway, unless I can verify that any of this stuff has already been done, I factor their cost into the costs of buying anything used.

Personally, I favor the F2. I had a '93 that I put 27,000 miles on in the first year that I owned it - it was stolen with 33,000 miles on the clock. While I had it, I was a total tool and dumped it 5 time in that first year including one 90mph hi-side. The F2 is built like a tank as far as motorcycles go and no major repairs were ever needed - although I didn't morry about the cosmetics. I never got around to the valve adjustment but I know that it was overdue when it was stolen.

Randall

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
or an '02+ ex500 for the same money as your looking to pay..........and a bike from this century.

·
Registered
42 Posts
odin673 said:
Hello everyone.
Bike 1: 94 ZX-6E
....Also the tranny is reversed, so 1st gear is up and the rest are down. When I was on the bike I had a very hard time finding neuteral, but the owner did it with ease..
On my 95 zx6e neutral is simple to find, but I also don't have a reverse shift pattern. Unless its real simple to switch back, I would stay away from customizations that break from the standard, or your going to find yourself riding another bike someday screwing up the shifting for 3 months before you re-learn. Personally, I would learn the shifter the proper way and then change it later on if you so desire, but at the beginning you have a lot to learn already without breaking from the norm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts