Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pretty new to riding, over the past few weeks I have been test driving some 600cc bikes and have found that I enjoyed the Kawasaki Ninja zx-6r and the Honda cbr600 over the Yamaha r6s and the GSXR. I have been reading about these bikes for some time and now have the opportunity to buy one of these.
I would be happy with either bike, they both have everything that I am looking for.
The two bikes
-2010 Kawasaki ninja zx 6R with 2,432 miles for $8,000
-2009 Honda CBR 600RR with 12,000 miles for $8,000

To me it seems that the kawasaki is a better deal because of the miles but I have heard that The Honda would be more reliable even with 12,000 miles.

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I pretty new to riding, over the past few weeks I have been test driving some 600cc bikes and have found that I enjoyed the Kawasaki Ninja zx-6r and the Honda cbr600 over the Yamaha r6s and the GSXR. I have been reading about these bikes for some time and now have the opportunity to buy one of these.
I would be happy with either bike, they both have everything that I am looking for.
The two bikes
-2010 Kawasaki ninja zx 6R with 2,432 miles for $8,000
-2009 Honda CBR 600RR with 12,000 miles for $8,000

To me it seems that the kawasaki is a better deal because of the miles but I have heard that The Honda would be more reliable even with 12,000 miles.

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!
None are a good deal for a new rider.

Reactions: bassjones

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Read the stickys. Being a new rider you WILL drop your bike. Buy a used 250 or 500 for 2 grand so you don't lose 3000 letting it tip over in your driveway. Or even more if you wreck.

600s are track bikes with lights, they are NOT for beginners. The powerband, brakes, and steering geometry are all very sensitive to your inputs and will send you on your ass when you have an o shit moment and don't have the correct muscle memory or experience

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well I wouldn't start on those supersport, as they are not very forgiving and if you were to drop them it could be very costly. You could buy a a cheap beginner bike for 2000 or less and sell it for the same when your skills have improved.

That being said I would vote the ZX6r as better value, depending on the condition and how well each have been maintained.

best of luck and make sure you keep a good chunk of changes to invest in quality gear.

edit: the two above me beat me too it,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks. I was doing fine riding the 600cc bikes at slow speeds but im sure that at higher speeds I would make some mistakes. I probably will end up going with a 500cc then.

I have been on a kawasaki ninja 650r before but no 500cc bikes.
Any 500cc bikes you would recommend?

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Read the stickys. Being a new rider you WILL drop your bike.
Well, maybe. It took me several bikes and several years before I dropped one enough to cause damage. (And I've never dropped a sport bike). I'm not alone in this.

Go with what you want. The difference between a nice one and a messed up one is at least the nice one looks good until you drop it. The messed up one looks bad all of the time. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Between the two I would pick the ZX6R also, newer year, lower mileage, BPF and slipper. Also look into SV650 or CBR500 for much less money.

My personally feeling is new 600SS like the new 636 (not the one you are asking) complete with TC, ABS, Slipper is probably far far safer than a 20 year old beat up EX500 which most likely will came with crap tires; but that's just me.

Having said that, are you willing to spend $$$$$ for your first ride knowing you will probably drop it once or twice and probably make some stupid mistakes on, that's a different story.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
With 12,000 miles the CBR is ready to throw a rod through the block, stay away from that!

In fact, you should get rid of any bike as you get close to 10K miles, let someone else have the engine blow up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Why do i get the feeling that Susser Todd is trying to lower the price of used bikes, so that he can buy them cheaper.

In fact, be careful taking the advice of experienced riders newbies!!!! If they are telling you to get a bike they own, it is because they want the cheap parts when you crash.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Alright thanks. I was doing fine riding the 600cc bikes at slow speeds but im sure that at higher speeds I would make some mistakes. I probably will end up going with a 500cc then.

I have been on a kawasaki ninja 650r before but no 500cc bikes.
Any 500cc bikes you would recommend?
Holy hell! A new rider who comes in set on a 600 supersport and then changes his mind and decides to get a sensible starter bike after reading posts from experienced riders? Wow. Nearly unheard of around here! :headbang

The Suzuki GS500 and Kawasaki Ninja 500 are both good bikes. Don't count out 250 bikes either. They're a lot easier to come by and their resale value is great once you're ready to move up. The new ('08+) Ninja 250s and CBR250s are really sharp looking too.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Why do i get the feeling that Susser Todd is trying to lower the price of used bikes, so that he can buy them cheaper.

In fact, be careful taking the advice of experienced riders newbies!!!! If they are telling you to get a bike they own, it is because they want the cheap parts when you crash.
:blush

·
Registered
848 Posts
Holy hell! A new rider who comes in set on a 600 supersport and then changes his mind and decides to get a sensible starter bike after reading posts from experienced riders? Wow. Nearly unheard of around here! :headbang
i thought i felt a cold chill from Hell starting to freeze over....

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i thought i felt a cold chill from Hell starting to freeze over....
rapid city did just get 2+ feet of snow, and you are planning on coming back to the area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts