Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am separating from the navy soon to start college full time. I'm looking for a sportbike that is cheap to buy ($5000-$6000), insurance is cheap, with good power and mileage, and that look good. I have decided between two bikes- the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 or 2013 Honda CBR500R that fit all 5 things i'm looking for, but i would like some expert/ experienced riders opinions. I have riden bikes before but they have been other peoples bikes so this will be my first bike i buy myself.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
It's always best to buy your first bike used so you don't take such a big hit if/when you drop it... Plus when you want to upgrade to a b***** bike (most, but not all, will), you won't take such a big depreciation hit when you try to sell it.

This being said, other than being new, both are fantastic choices to start off with.

Make sure to buy and wear gear when you ride. It could save your life (and skin).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like said buy used because you will drop it. I laughed and said not me... Oh was i wrong. My personal opinion buy 3-4k used 600. That's what i did rode for 6 months put 5k miles on it and didn't lose any money...i think 250s and 500 are harder to resale

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Like said buy used because you will drop it. I laughed and said not me... Oh was i wrong. My personal opinion buy 3-4k used 600. That's what i did rode for 6 months put 5k miles on it and didn't lose any money...i think 250s and 500 are harder to resale

Don't listen to this guy... Please.

Deciding to start on a starter bike is a wise decision. Very few people on here will try and convince someone who wants to start on a proper starter bike to buy a 600 instead. 600s are not starter bikes. Furthermore, 250s and 500s (if bought used) hold their resale value incredibly well, and are some of the easiest bikes to sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't listen to this guy... Please.

Deciding to start on a starter bike is a wise decision. Very few people on here will try and convince someone who wants to start on a proper starter bike to buy a 600 instead. 600s are not starter bikes. Furthermore, 250s and 500s (if bought used) hold their resale value incredibly well, and are some of the easiest bikes to sell.
I was just saying my opinion . What was your first bike?

·
Registered
21,263 Posts

Lol I lost a total of $100 selling my 250. There is a huge market for used ones.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I actually made $150 when I sold my GS400E. Not bad considering I owned it for 2 years and rode it all the time in the summer. Beginner bikes are easy to sell.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I was just saying my opinion . What was your first bike?

I know it's just your opinion... And it's my opinion that your opinion isn't a good opinion to share with new riders... :D Especially one who has already made up his mind that he's going to start on a good starter bike

I started off on a Ninja 250. I bought it used. I rode it for over a year, put 15,000 miles on it, and then sold it for a $100 profit.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OP, I started out on a EX500 (500 Ninja) back in 1988 and it was a great bike to learn on. Bought it new and promptly dumped it a week later practicing for my test. So as everyone has said, by used first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts