Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total noob right here, and some questions have probably been seen a million times, but here yeah. I am 250 lbs 16 years old and 5' 9". My expirience with any vehicle is like 4-5 years of riding atvs and dirtbikes 250-500cc and thats about it. I really liked riding dirtbikes and have been thinking about getting a sportbike (yes for looks and power) so,

1) I wanted to get a ninja 250, 300 or possibly 650 but am worried about if it will have enough power since im pretty fat and austin has a lot of hills, some that are pretty steep, which would be best for me? I would probably top speed it once on an empty road that is flat and I know well, not gunna lie, but I would for the most part keep it at lower rpms and stay in the speed limit because i want it (and me) to last

2) I don't really have the money to pay in full and have to pay for it 100% my money so am wondering how financing works for a bike, like how many months is normal? and what is usual %interest

3) Is Abs something that I should get as it would be my first street vehicle

4) is the boots leather jacket and gloves for looks or are they all actually important things to get?

5) any other things you think are important for me to know I guess, I really appreciate information, and please don't flame because it doesn't really help me

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
1. The 300 would be ok I would guess. Honestly a used 250 would be better.

2. Your 16 so use some self control and save the money that you would be using for payments. In a couple of months you would have the money to buy a used beat up 250.

3. ABS is not something I think you would even find on the choices listed unless you went new from the dealer and still might be a hard thing to find. No need to focus on that for your first bike.

4. The gear is a very needed thing if you like your skin on your body. Wear it all... even more important with no experience but always important.

5. Take your time with every part of this road your choosing. At 16 you have lots of time. Use some of that time to look through all the stickies as bluspyder said. Good info in them that will answer most of your questions or at least give you an idea of what everyone suggest.

·
Registered
495 Posts
1) The 250 will haul your fat ass just fine.

2) At 16 years old I'm not certain about getting a loan. I just can't remember lending law with relation to minors. Usually it's the Bank of Mom and Dad. Do yourself a favor and realize what it is to own something free and clear. Save money, pay for it.

3) No.

4) They've saved my fat ass (and face, and upper torso) more than once. I hope all your money on gear is wasted, but it's definitely for purpose and NOT for looks.

5) I know at 16 years old ( I was there once, too.) Everything seems like an eternity. Please take your time, save money, invest in gear, and find a nice 250. Buy a used one because you most certainly will drop/dump it at some point.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1) The 250 will haul your fat ass just fine.
Literally lol'd at this :eek:nfloor

Any who,:twofinger welcome! :twofinger

1- the 250 should be fine to start on...if you want more power, look for a used 500 (either Suzuki gs500 or Kawi ninja 500). I honestly wouldnt buy new unless you can get a bad ass deal on it. Chances are you will eventually trade and get a b***** bike once you get more experience.

2- Interest rate all depends on your credit. If you havent financed anything yet, you probably dont have any so good luck getting a livable rate. Sorry, just the way it is..Might have to shake the money tree, aka mom and dad for some green...

3- ABS is not neccessary for a first bike, or any bike there after...My previous CARS had no ABS or traction control haha

4- Get gear. get good gear. Be thankful you did when you go down...

5- Be patient and save your money. If I were you, I'd look used or try and find a closeout deal on a bike. Take the MSF course and ride with someone that has experience. Wear your gear always and look for the other idiots on the road!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can imagine a 250 being an issue on hills at 250lbs. I'm 224lbs and don't have any problems whatsoever in the Carolina mountains, but I also have a 650. I think a 500 would probably be a better bet in your situation. (Not saying a 250 couldn't do it, I'm just saying it probably wouldn't do it well.)

You will never finance a new bike at 16. It just will not happen, at least not without a real co-signer. I'm 22 years old, with a 720 credit rating, and a pretty decent job, and the damn CAR dealerships won't sell me a base model Mustang with 40% of the value of the car in a down-payment. At 16 you are not going to have credit (I'm not sure you can even get a credit card legally at 16) and can't have a very good job (I've heard many states don't allow high schoolers to even have full-time jobs). Unless your parents are buying this for you themselves, your only chance is to buy used. And really, odds are, you're going to fall off; would you rather do that with a shiny new $4,500 Ninja 300 (or whatever they run these days), or with a $1800 Ninja 2002? My first bike--I'm ashamed to admit--saw pavement more than once. I didn't buy my second bike until I was sure that was going to stop happening.

And take it from me: it hurts enough when you hit pavement through clothing; you do NOT want to do it on bare skin. Gear is not about looks (although it's a neat side effect :))

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pretty much echoing some of the other cats here, but I have a Ninja 250 in the stable now so I can answer a bit...

1) The 250 will do fine on hills. You won't have a ton of pulling power above 50mph uphill, but downshift and roll on.

2) You're 16. You're not financing anything until you're 18, and you'll still be raped on interest at that point. If you were to finance, in reality, your parents would have to finance, and you'd pay them. I wouldn't suggest it. Like others are saying, save up the coin for a used 250.

3) No ABS. Learn proper braking technique.

4) The gear is important. Chances are, you will crash your first bike. Ergo, you want it to be cheap, and you want to be completely covered. At the very least, you need a helmet, textile (pref leather) jacket, jeans, and boots. Proper moto gear is worth it, though. And looks sweet.

5) Riding is for life. When you're starting out, BE PATIENT. I know it's hard. I was 16 for 10 solid years before I learned to wait for things, and I wish I hadn't been like that. When you're starting out, technique and awareness are what matters. Save your money, and start learning before you ever jump on a bike. Take the MSF class if you can, at your age. It doesn't cost much, allows you to get to grips with the basics, and as a bonus, there will be plenty of different 250s for you to try out. Maybe a Ninja isn't right for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts