Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I was outbid on the nighthawk 450 while I was at work, so I lost that one. Anyways, I'm now looking at a 1982 Honda Ascot FT500. It doesn't run at the moment (It's been sitting for 6 years) but it's been well cared for, has low mileage and I could get a great deal on it... What do you all think?

Thanks,
Ryan

PS-I hope one of these posts ends with me actually getting a bike!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
get a bike that runs, you wanna concentrate on learning not mechanicing......or worrying if your bike is gonna explode.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buy mine - 1977 yamaha XS750 triple - new tires, rebuilt front/reat breaks/new 3-1
exhaust - garage kept - 8500 original miles - no dents/rust - great bike

·
Registered
681 Posts
Save up about $2k and get something decent(that runs great) for ~ $1k + gear + insurance.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Sorry to be chiming in so late.

Is the Buell still available? That's a good deal, provided the bike's not thoroughly abused. If it's at a dealership, maybe they can help in the loan department. Would your parents loan you the money if you put something in writing saying you'd sell the bike if you didn't make the payments?

That pipe on a Blast will definately help with the power (about 7-10%) if it's jetted correctly. The Blast is a great starter bike, and they hold their resale value well. My wife's seems to be low maintenance so far. And I even find it a hoot to ride occasionally. Just get rid of the stock bars and put on something with a 'superbike' bend, will help a lot with the comfort of the riding position.

Whatever you do, you want to get a bike that runs well. A good running bike is more likely to handle well (this is NOT a guarantee, though).

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone... I went to check out the motorcycle anyway (it's the bike of the husband of a woman I work with). It's got about 9,000 miles and is in really good condition. It turns over, slowly, but just won't start. He's gonna try a new battery--the one in there is anywhere from 6-9 years old, and try to get it started. Since he doesn't see himself riding it, he's willing to sell it to me for $200, after buying a new battery.

For $200 it seems like an offer I would be stupid to pass up. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic.

Does the price tag change anyone's opinion?

On a side note, I'm willing to take my time with it--e.g. I don't need to ride it this season. I have the patience (maybe) to work on it all winter and have a fully functining bike in the spring.

About the buell, It's just too much right now. I just don't want to spend that much on a bike, If I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna keep on motorcycling. It was really cool, but just not realistic at the time.

Thanks guys,
Ryan

EDIT:I would also like to add that I would never ride a bike that wasn't running well in traffic. So it's gonna be at 100% before it's on the street.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
For $200 I say go for it. At worst you could part it out and ebay it, but wrenching on shit that is already broken is somewhat entertaining - it can't get any worse (usually), and you learn a TON in the process.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
for $200, try it. It's probably the battery too. My battery died and it would turn over slowly but it wouldn't start. After 6-9 years, id say the battery needs to be replaced, if not other things. But yeah..that's a good choice. Since it's an old bike, you'll want to concentrate on riding, rather than making it fast or fixing things up and spending more money on it. I found out that, if you get a decent but not great bike as a first... you get stuck in the middle. You can't just treat it like crap, but you can't spend all the money cause the bike isn't worth it. So I just kind of take care of it to my fullest but id eventually like a bike where I can keep for a while and in pristine condition.

·
Registered
229 Posts
OldSchlPunk said:
The Blast is a great starter bike, and they hold their resale value well.
Blast resale is still suffering big-time from its reputation of poor quality and reliability issues from earlier models. I see 1-to-2-year old Blasts around here for $2k or less quite frequently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm officially getting it... I couldn't justify not getting it. I already ordered the factory service manual, and I can't wait to get my hands on the bike. The gentleman I'm buying it from has also offered to deliver it to my parents house (50-60 miles away). I live in Buffalo and have no place to keep it here, for now anyways. I guess my next step is buying some gear. :banana

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey good choice. Knowing how to work on your bike is important. But having a bike that breaks down regularly sucks and is dangerous so keep that in mind if it starts doing that. Don't want to get toasted because it decided to quit on you at the wrong moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts