Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lawyer friend of mine who is into motorcycles sugested two more possibilities for great starter bikes.

Yamaha RD400
Suzuki T500

What do you guys think about these bikes as starter bikes?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, i don;t know about those bikes. they seem pretty old. any current day suzuki gs500 or kawi ex500 are great starter bikes for cheap.

make sure to take the www.msf-usa.org class

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Doubt on the MSF... I'm just trying to get some options. Almost bought a RD400 the other day... Need money. But I'm going to do the MSF for sure

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
it might be hard finding some parts for the older bikes, compared to an ex250 or an ex500

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well considering the fact that he's looking at bikes in the neighborhood of $2000, I don't think a new 620D is really in his price range.

I'll go with what everyone else is saying...Ninja 500!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Those old 2 strokes are someting for a GREAT mechanic and a more experienced rider......they WILL kick you in the ass just like a 600SS would. Although, I'd rather see you on one of them compared to a (insert the lastest 600ss here)......better to stick with a more modern 4 stroke of that size displacement(under 500 cc's)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
taziscool said:
Those old 2 strokes are someting for a GREAT mechanic and a more experienced rider......they WILL kick you in the ass just like a 600SS would. Although, I'd rather see you on one of them compared to a (insert the lastest 600ss here)......better to stick with a more modern 4 stroke of that size displacement(under 500 cc's)
Aww.... I was actually thinking the 2-stroke part of them was the whole appeal. Well, maybe getting the vanilla 500ex is a better option. First bike, not last bike is what I'm going to be telling myself. Donations welcome for the cause.

Be safe everyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
is 600cc too much for a new rider?...im guessing it is... if I get a 250 in two years would i have to upgrade to a 500 then a 600? or could i just get a 600 in two or three years?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mikel222 said:
is 600cc too much for a new rider?...im guessing it is... if I get a 250 in two years would i have to upgrade to a 500 then a 600? or could i just get a 600 in two or three years?
you don't "have" to do anything man... 250's and 500's are both good for starting, you don't have to go progressively through every level of cc like that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ahh okay good, then im going with the KAWASAKI ZZR250(this one better be 250 cc) you get the looks of a regular one and still only 250 cc so its easy to learn on...and once i get good at this then im getting a 600!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts