Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I recently purchased my first sportbike, a 2004 ZX10R, and I have a few questions. First of all, is it possible to safely use all of the bikes revs? I have been having a hard time riding beyond 8k rpm because the front tire lifts off of the ground. I'm new, so the sensation is frightening. Second, what is the best way to store a motorcycle during the winter? This will be my first "real" winter (grew up inTempe) and I'm not sure how motorcycles deal with the cold winter months. The dealership I bought my bike from offers a storing service for $500 for the duration of the winter. I am inclined to go this route as they were so helpful in getting me on two wheels, but I'd like to know if I can store it myself nonetheless. Thank you, and I look forward to posting more on this excellent resource!.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
+With experiance it is safe to use them. You can store your bike your self for the winter. Lower the tire preasure and keep the bike off the ground using stands outher than that is pretty easy. And is this you first bike or first sportbike?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
You've got to be kidding right? You bought a ZX-10R as a first bike? This is the same bike that even the pros are having trouble keeping under control. I really hope this a joke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been riding for about a month now and yes, this is my first motorized, two-wheeled vehicle.
Will I need to regularly run the bike during the winter or can it sit, undisturbed, under a cover in a heated garage?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well, I'm not even gonna go off about how big of a mistake of you made purchasing this as a first bike but I will make some suggestions. MSF Rider Course should be your next step, get into a class ASAP. As far as storing it for the winter, just keep it in a garage, run it to operating temps about once every 3-4 days. Get a nice 3 layer cover as well to keep the crap off of it. Also get front and rear stands and leave the bike on them, to keep flat spots from developing on the tires.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Have fun with the bike and get good insurance!!!!!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
let the flaming begin!
Seriously, I have a feeling this is gonna get bad. I'm going to keep it civil and not flame him unless he starts trying to defend himself or says something like "I'll ride slow, I can handle it!" that's the point where I'll chime in, for now I'm keeping out of it. :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why was my purchase of a ZX10R a mistake? The dealer reccomended the bike over the Harley Davidson V-Rod I was considering due to the age old fun-for-the-money factor. Is an MSF course a racing school? A friend of mine (also a new rider) are thinking about taking a trip to Souther California this winter to attend such a school. Thank you for all the input; I assume you all believe the $500 storage fee would be a waste.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
The last thing you should have on your mind right now is racing schools. The MSF course teaches you basic controls, slow speed manuevering, and handling emergency situations, which is what you need BADLY. Believe me when I say, the dealer was in it for the sale, not to help you, if he was there to help you he would have pointed you toward the Ninja 500R. The 10R is too powerful, too twitchy, and just plain and simple not a good bike to learn on. When you crash it (you will crash it) it's gonna cost $1000's in repairs even for a low speed lowside. There are so many other reasons why you made a mistake, I'll let RacerX post his "start small" links. What kind of gear are you wearing when you go riding?

TAKE THE MSF COURSE NOW! PLEASE!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Cookie said:
Why was my purchase of a ZX10R a mistake? The dealer reccomended the bike over the Harley Davidson V-Rod I was considering due to the age old fun-for-the-money factor. Is an MSF course a racing school? A friend of mine (also a new rider) are thinking about taking a trip to Souther California this winter to attend such a school. Thank you for all the input; I assume you all believe the $500 storage fee would be a waste.

its a motorcycle safety class. plan on taken it someday!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, ok. I took a DOT safety course this past spring. I don't remember if MSF appeared on any of the literature or the diploma or sorts I recieved, I'll find them and let you know. The course I took consisted of discussing the fundamentals of riding in a classroom for a few hours and spending close to a full day of riding 250cc bikes.
I was told any motorcycle below 750cc lacks adequate commuting power and are purchased by folks who intend to race them. I use my motorcycle strictly for commuting at present, and I find that it's power is suitable for such an application; if only the whole rev-range was useable. I understand the ZX10 is more powerful than the bikes I rode during training, but from my understanding they were old, outdated, and abused.
I carry full coverage on my bike and I am aware of the expenses associated with crashing. From what I've been told, every part is replaceable.
I purchased a Shoei Helmet, Joe Rocket leather jacket and pants, Alpinestar gloves, and Sidi boots with my bike. I do no have a one peice suit if that is what you mean, but I will buy one if it offers better protection than my current "outfit."
Is it uncommon for a new rider to purchase a bike similar to mine in your areas? Three of my friends bought GSXR1000s as their first motorcycles and told me to follow suite. I don't know if there is a performance differential between the GSXR and my bike, but all of the local dealers were sold out of the 1000 models and I was told the ZX10 was the best alternative. Thank you for all of your comments, I am glad I stumbled upon this board.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are you kidding me dude??!! Read the post about 1000RR down...this just happened last week, when a relative noob hit the throttle jus a lil too hard, and the front end of the bike came over....imagine going in 2nd gear at a moderate pace, say 35 or 40 mph when you suddenly hit a pothole....if you dont have good throttle control that front is comin right up!!! I just bought a Ninja500R and also very new to riding, and i'm scared shitless of it in the upper rev range.....Anyhow good luck dude, I hope you stay safe as possible. You will see that most the moderators on this board dissuade beginners from the 600cc Supersport bikes, much less the 1000RRs......theres also a good article in Sport Rider about ppl starting off Liter class bikes. Again, wish you the best of luck and hope that we all stay safe.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I wanna know what flaming moron told you any bike below 750cc lacks "commuting power." What kind of cars are you commuting with that you need a ZX10R to keep up? Is this some magical land where all the cars run 10 second 1/4 miles and the speed limits are 100mph?

Let me be the first to tell you, your friends who started on GSXR1000's are all dumbasses and need to have their bikes taken away. How old are you and your friends?
The ZX10R as a first bike was a mistake, there is no arguing that, and you trying to argue that you need the ZX10R because other bikes don't have enough "commuting power" is just retarted :lol

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
That was a pretty rotten choice. I won't bother being snide, I reserve that for people who haven't bought their bike yet and it doesn't seem like you knew any better. Suffice it to say that it's the most potent sportbike in production and not meant for beginners. Wear all your gear, all the time. Read as many books about riding as you can get your hands on (ie Proficient Motorcycling, Sport Riding Techniques). Spend lots of time practicing in empty parking lots. Be very very (VERY!) careful on that bike.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts