Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up an 08 250r last week for a pretty good deal i think, has some marks and scratches on the left side where the 1st owner laid it down (im 3rd owner)

has 7k miles, back rear tire is almost balled so i have to get a new one.

this is my first bike, ive never ridden a dirtbike either. my truck is a manual so obviously im familiar with shifting but obviously being on two wheels is a world of difference from a truck.

today was my first day riding it due to weather and just went up and down my street, would stay in first gear till my street, go to neutral, turn around, do it again, so forth. after i got the balls to start swerving id shift to second and eventually did my first u turn, although a wide one, i did it first try lol.

here are some pics, i know im not wearing a jacket/pants only because im only going up and down my street, when i start going around my neighborhood in a few days ill throw everything on. im taking the msf course in two weeks so i wanted to try and be ahead of the game when i go there.
my whips

my buddy came by on his honda 750, that sounds MEAN

flame on for no gear. its in my closet just couldnt be hassled to wear it in 90 degree weather when i wasnt going over 10mph

·
Registered
143 Posts
In 90° heat, I might skip the pants & jacket for low speed practice, but I'd still go with the boots. Broken ankles are bad news. Plus, the foot controls feel completely different with boots.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wear full gear no matter the temperature here in VA (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gauntlet gloves). It's not as humid as GA, but I'd probably do the same there too. I'd rather sweat than risk the injury. But I'm rare in that way. Besides, you're only hot when you're not moving.

Even if you're going two miles an hour you should still have motorcycle boots on IMO. When I was first learning I fell over going only a few mph and the motorcycle landed on my lower left leg. Since I was wearing boots I escaped with just a sprain in my foot. I don't want to know what would have happened in sneakers.

Welcome and enjoy your new bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey guys thanks for the reply, i actually had gloves on, i would of been wearing jeans but my beer belly has stopped me from getting into my old ones and i just got some new ones today. as far as shoes, i bought boots yesterday because im taking the msf course next weekend, and it was ALOT different, i didnt like how they felt. when i was up shifting it was hard to tell if i actually switched (in my foot/leg feeling) if that makes sense, obviously i know i shifted but with the other shoes i could feel it go up my leg so to speak, in the boots i couldnt, didnt really like it, but i got to get used to it for the class.

i do have a jacket i plan on wearing once i get going up to speed and wont die of heat exhaustion.

thanks for the comments. ive been doing u turns and figure 8's trying to prepare my self, their not as 'tight' as they should be but after riding for only 3 days (maybe an hour a day, or two) i dont think im doing bad at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts