Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is I want to get a bike soon and I know that you should start small 250/500. I dont think I would be able to ride a 250 to well. I am 6'4 300lbs so should I get a 500 or a pre 97 600? I really want to make the right descision.
TIA for any advice.

Thanks

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
You are a big boy, I'm gonna go against what I normally would say and go for an older Katana 600. It's not that the Ninja 500 would be underpowered for your size, it just might be very uncomfortable, and will take all the enjoyment of riding.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Now just take notice here.....the first three people to respond to your thread are accredited Motorcycle Safety Foundation Instructors, I suggest you take heed. Good luck with whatever you get, keep us updated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thanks a lot. I will let every one know what I do. I have been lurking around here for a wile just never posted up to say hi. It seems like A lot of cool people here.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You'd be amazed that a 250 could handle you......but a 500 would do. You could also go for a 400....a dualsport....better for taller people.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm 130lbs and ride a 250. DO NOT GET ONE!! I ride two up with my girl and we dont weigh that much and the 250 is a dog with both of us on it, and we've worn out the shock... she only rides with me once ever few weeks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should get the ZX-10R. :lol

Just kidding. I would suggest anything you can get cheap, so long as it's not more then 600 ccs and a sportbike. Of course, I'm not a MSF instructor, or accredited, or full of myself, so you should probably not take heed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the GS500F as my first bike, and I am 6'0" 215 pounds. The bike is great! It is very comfortable to sit on, and has enough power to get you anywhere you wanna go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm 6'4 and 250, I bought my first bike about 3 months ago. It was an SV650, I got it cheap($3000) and it fits me well. I can ride for hours without a problem. Check out insurance before you buy anything.

Oh yea, take the MSF course, buy good gear and always wear it, practice the things you learned in your MSF course on a regular basis.

·
Registered
54 Posts
id go with a zx7r its a b***** bike in size, its good for us tall guys. i sat on a r6 at a cbr f3 and they are just to small for me. the zx7r is longer than most 1000s. its the most comfortable bike ive every riden. and u dont have to worry bout the bike lifting on u cause the design puts the wieght at the front. and once u learn to ride u have a bike that is as good as ne. dont waste ur money on a 500 cause they dont compare to 600s 500s arent a real bike. as long as u take it slow ull be fine respect the bike and ull have no problems..

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Hahahahha, 500's aren't real bikes? I know guys with track ready Ninja 500's and 250's that would hand you your ass all over the place on the street and the track....I guess for you guys ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i apologize i didnt mean it that way i just think a 600 or higher bikes are just better looking and are a better bet for ur hard earned money but thats just me. and for a b***** guy a little b***** bike would be better.

·
Registered
549 Posts
taziscool said:
You could also go for a 400....a dualsport
You talkin' about the DRZ400S, right? That bike fuggin' rocks. Rode one a few weeks ago. It's a blast. Definitely a bike you could keep around for dirt riding or supermoto after you graduate to the ss bikes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nostradumbass said:
You talkin' about the DRZ400S, right? That bike fuggin' rocks. Rode one a few weeks ago. It's a blast. Definitely a bike you could keep around for dirt riding or supermoto after you graduate to the ss bikes.
Yes......or he could look at my thread in here, it would suit him just GREAT!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i guess my opinion will differ from the typical opinion on the boards of 'start on a low powered older bike that way it wont be too much for you to handle, and wont matter when you drop it' .. and i will admit i would rather see an older worn out bike sliding across the pavement, than a brand new one.. so +1 for that piece of advice. my disagreement comes from the power/performance aspect. a brand new R1 makes the exact same power at partial throttle as a Honda Express 50cc does. infact the Honda RC211V makes the exact same power at partial throttle as any 125cc bike on the market ever produced. you cant find me any turbo'd hayabusa on the market that wont make the same HP as any 250cc bike.. really and truely it boils down (power wise) to how intelligent you are and how much self preservation you have, because in the end the ground hurts all the same and the only accident where power/cc matters is the one that you controlled (or lack of) yourself. if a car pulls out infront of you then the power isnt going to matter, and you'll impact the car just as hard on a 125 as you would a 1000. now would i suggest a 1000 to the average person who goes out to buy a motorcycle? surely not.. but would i lecture the beginner with good common sense and self preservation for buying a 1000?.. not likely... my opinion is this, if you're intelligent.. truely intelligent, have above average ability to read traffic, have lots of self control and belief that your brand new 180hp motorcycle really will make it near 200mph without the desire to test it for yourself, then apply your far-above-average abilities to buying the bike you find yourself most happy with, and ride whatever you buy as if it were a 50/125/250/500, sorry for the long winded response

Brandon
Aprilia RSV1000 Mille

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mille_R Time said:
i guess my opinion will differ from the typical opinion on the boards of 'start on a low powered older bike that way it wont be too much for you to handle, and wont matter when you drop it' .. and i will admit i would rather see an older worn out bike sliding across the pavement, than a brand new one.. so +1 for that piece of advice. my disagreement comes from the power/performance aspect. a brand new R1 makes the exact same power at partial throttle as a Honda Express 50cc does. infact the Honda RC211V makes the exact same power at partial throttle as any 125cc bike on the market ever produced. you cant find me any turbo'd hayabusa on the market that wont make the same HP as any 250cc bike.. really and truely it boils down (power wise) to how intelligent you are and how much self preservation you have, because in the end the ground hurts all the same and the only accident where power/cc matters is the one that you controlled (or lack of) yourself. if a car pulls out infront of you then the power isnt going to matter, and you'll impact the car just as hard on a 125 as you would a 1000. now would i suggest a 1000 to the average person who goes out to buy a motorcycle? surely not.. but would i lecture the beginner with good common sense and self preservation for buying a 1000?.. not likely... my opinion is this, if you're intelligent.. truely intelligent, have above average ability to read traffic, have lots of self control and belief that your brand new 180hp motorcycle really will make it near 200mph without the desire to test it for yourself, then apply your far-above-average abilities to buying the bike you find yourself most happy with, and ride whatever you buy as if it were a 50/125/250/500, sorry for the long winded response

Brandon
Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
HOLY BULLSHIT BATMAN!
An R1 will make MORE power at idle than a 50cc honda scooter.......etc.....sure they will make the same power as 125/250's....for a BRIEF instant coming just off idle speeds and then all HELL breaks loose! You have a lot to learn....I hope you're NOT NEW on that MILLE, shame to kill a nice bike like that to a 2-24 months experience newbie rider.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts