Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skipping all introductions, lets get to the point.
I'm buying my first bike this summer and I need help picking it. I was pretty much set on getting a used Ninja 250, until I noticed that ... the used bike market in my country only has 600cc bikes and up. So I did some reading on buying a 600cc as a first and got a list of bikes that would be suitable, compared it to the stuff available on the market only to notice that there are none available. The only bikes people seem to want to sell are either racebikes or 125cc ones and that doesn't really go with my plans. In the end it comes down to a used racebike with a limiter or a brand new, smaller bike. Buying used is a bit of a problem since i won't know how to look for any potential problems.
The brand new one I was considering is the new Ninja 300, everything about it sounds nice. I would probably already have bought it, if not for the fear that I might outgrow it too soon or crash it and ruin the brand new thing >_<.
The other problem is that I might not be very comfortable on it, seeing that im about 6" 230lbs. Is this a problem or is it completely irrational?
Money is also an issue, I really can't afford to buy another bike in a year or two. If I buy the 300, I'll have to have it financed by either my company or a bank.
All input on this will be much appreciated

·
Registered
56 Posts
Skipping all introductions, lets get to the point.
I'm buying my first bike this summer and I need help picking it. I was pretty much set on getting a used Ninja 250, until I noticed that ... the used bike market in my country only has 600cc bikes and up. So I did some reading on buying a 600cc as a first and got a list of bikes that would be suitable, compared it to the stuff available on the market only to notice that there are none available. The only bikes people seem to want to sell are either racebikes or 125cc ones and that doesn't really go with my plans. In the end it comes down to a used racebike with a limiter or a brand new, smaller bike. Buying used is a bit of a problem since i won't know how to look for any potential problems.
The brand new one I was considering is the new Ninja 300, everything about it sounds nice. I would probably already have bought it, if not for the fear that I might outgrow it too soon or crash it and ruin the brand new thing >_<.
The other problem is that I might not be very comfortable on it, seeing that im about 6" 230lbs. Is this a problem or is it completely irrational?
Money is also an issue, I really can't afford to buy another bike in a year or two. If I buy the 300, I'll have to have it financed by either my company or a bank.
All input on this will be much appreciated
I just started a little over a month ago. I got a brand new 2012 250. My weight is about the same as yours, 217. The 300 would be an excellent beginner bike. Make no mistake though, If you are like me, you will want a faster bike withing the first month. However, on twisty roads once your get comfortable, you will keep up with 600's just fine, given they have the same amount of seat time as you. 80 percent of my friends that started on 600 and b*****, all laid their bikes down pretty fast. The 300 will hold it's resale pretty well too. But it's all up to you, my man, congrats either way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have a 250 that I ride with some frequency. I am a little shorter and a little heavier than you.

Don't worry about outgrowing a Ninja 300. If you listen, it will have much to teach you in two years. Use it to become a great Ninja 300 rider, and don't be in a hurry to sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 250 that I ride with some frequency. I am a little shorter and a little heavier than you.

Don't worry about outgrowing a Ninja 300. If you listen, it will have much to teach you in two years. Use it to become a great Ninja 300 rider, and don't be in a hurry to sell it.
Thanks for the input, that's exactly what i wanted to hear :D
I went and tried sitting on it for the first time yesterday, it was quite the experience.
I don't think I've ever been this anxious to get something in my whole life :D

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
If your only options are a new
250/300/500, and a used 600, then buy new beginner bike. If you start getting bored with it, try a trackday. Try going on road trips. Things like that. I have been riding for 5 years now and still find a ninja 250 to be fun as fuck to throw around.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you get bored with a Ninja 250 or 300, then you need to find some twisty roads.....that's where the fun comes. It's not all about straight line acceleration.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I sure would get bored of watching this little bike pass me if I were on a 600 with 4 times the power.

I started on a new 250, but if I had to do it again I'd start on a used 250.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Quoting myself
A cheep bike like the ninja 250-500, buell blast, fz400, sportster 883 or a dzr.

Look a first bike is mostly a learning tool. You will drop it. You may crash it. You might not like riding at all. So why get you money tied up in a expensive bike?
Supersport and superbikes are race bikes at are on the street. When you first start driving you would never jump in a F1 car and hit the streets

·
Registered
17 Posts
Used Ninja 250's

I started on a used Ninja 250 when I was 15....Im only 17 now but I moved up to a GSXR 600, I like the 600 a lot more for corners as well as striaght lines. However, I would not buy a brand new 250. The used ones will be almost no different than the new ones. Especially for the price differences you may run into. Also, if you get bored of the 250 quickly, you will be able to sell it for basically the same price you bought it and put that money toward a b***** bike! Thats what I would do...Good luck!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
The nice thing about the 250/300 is that resale value is really good. So you might only lose a couple hundred bucks when you go to sell it a year later.

A 600/1000 on the other hand loses at least $1-2k in value as soon as you drive it off the lot. That's one of the reasons I never buy new.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I started on a used Ninja 250 when I was 15....Im only 17 now but I moved up to a GSXR 600, I like the 600 a lot more for corners as well as striaght lines. However, I would not buy a brand new 250. The used ones will be almost no different than the new ones. Especially for the price differences you may run into. Also, if you get bored of the 250 quickly, you will be able to sell it for basically the same price you bought it and put that money toward a b***** bike! Thats what I would do...Good luck!
Not always the case. Due to the fact that the 250's last production year was 2012, many dealerships are letting them go for at or near used prices. I bought mine brand new from Ultimate Cycle in Richmond, VA for $2900. Look on craigslist, and most 2009's are going for around that. Just got to get a good deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The nice thing about the 250/300 is that resale value is really good. So you might only lose a couple hundred bucks when you go to sell it a year later.

A 600/1000 on the other hand loses at least $1-2k in value as soon as you drive it off the lot. That's one of the reasons I never buy new.
^ This. I bought my 250 new for $2900.00. I already put a slip-on, frame sliders and about to get the fender eliminator. So I will have a little under $3500.00 tied up in it. I plan on either keeping it for the track or selling it for $2800.00 with around 5 to 6 thousand miles on it around March and getting a new 750, which I will keep for awhile. Either way, WIN-WIN.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Noobs shouldn't get new bikes, especially not faired ones. You'll likely drop it.
I got my bike new and my brother got his new. Why? Cause we could afford it and that's what we wanted to do.

That's what it comes down to. If you can afford it and are okay with paying the extra money for a new bike then go for it.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I have never bought any bike used.

I bought my Ninja 250 new, but yes, I was prepared to eat the cost of dropping it. I did drop it, but all damage was not noticeable. I eased it down, because it was stopped and I broke while turning the wheel.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^broke while turning the wheel? You broke the steering wheel on your bike? :headscrtch

Maybe 'hit the brakes at full handlebar lock'?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Noobs shouldn't get new bikes, especially not faired ones. You'll likely drop it.
I couldn't disagree with you more...

Newbs should have a bike that operates and performs as smoothly and flawlessly as possible. The reason being is simple, they are newbs, they should be spending their attention on riding and only riding, not on a clunky shifter or notchy steering head bearing or any of the hundreds of problems that come with buying someone elses throw away garbage. Sure there are some decent used bikes to buy, but they are vastly out numbered by the pieces of total shit used bikes sold every day. Under maintained and overly abused and overly priced. Often you can buy brand new carry overs for less than used, just a week ago one of my customers bought a brand new 2012 ZX6R for 8100 OTD and yet if you paruse craigslist or dealership inventories they want 8k-9k for the same bike used and abused....and with someone elses idea of "add ons" which totally detract from value.
Who the hell wants dinky little signals nobody can see? that isn't safe
Who wants some obnoxious loud pipe to piss off their neighbors in the morning?
Who wants a mostly worn out chain and sprockets, lack of service, poorly maintained piece of crap that has been neglected? okay fine if you could buy for cheap enough those are easy enough to replace and make adjustments and repairs but people today think they are made of solid gold or some such bullshit-they are so overpriced it is ridiculous.

BUY NEW---you won't regret it in the least and if you buy a new carry over 250 Ninja or the new 300 Ninja apparently there are plenty of fools around willing to pay brand new retail even once the bike is 2 or 3 years old and been "down by the previous owner" a time or two (atleast that is what all the local dealers price them at here and all over craigslist)

Buy new and keep it forever or until you can longer get parts for it, that has been my game plan on the last several bikes
I have had atleast 5 bikes I bought new and rode past 100,000 miles before getting rid of them
1989 Ninja 250 all race miles ...finally sold it last spring
1988 Ninja 600 256,000 miles before I sold it 4 years ago (was discontinued in 1998 and many normal wear and tear parts became virtually non existant by 2007)
2007 ZZR600 69,000 miles and counting....likely to keep it around until I surpass the 256k mark of the Ninja 600 I last owned

Buy New Buy new Buy new

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Newbs should have a bike that operates and performs as smoothly and flawlessly as possible.
The vast majority of bikes are impulse purchases and often get sold with few miles. Most of the nip bikes are so bulletproof now that you have to abuse them hard to really do any damage. Might have some scuffs and whatnot, but still perfectly functional. Tons around here to be had. Better to drop a bike with a few warts than a pristine one from the dealership.

Heck, I've never before bought a new bike, not even the sport bike. I'll let some other poor schmo take the hit on the depreciation.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
^broke while turning the wheel? You broke the steering wheel on your bike? :headscrtch

Maybe 'hit the brakes at full handlebar lock'?
Yes I BROKE, while turning the wheel. And yeah, your last sentence is what I did.

Now leave me alone, it's my birfday. :neener

While practicing for my final exam, I was maneuvering around the cones. I braked too hard while at full lock, and in a lean.

Happy? :flash

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you like working on bikes, buying a used one is a good idea in case you have to do work on it, which may or may not be the case. Even now with 6 years riding under my belt I'm hesitant to buy used, most guys ride like retards and treat their bikes like garbage. I don't want to deal with that.

I bought my first bike new because I'd rather be riding than doing mechanical work, and its worked out fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts