Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my msf class recently and those 250's had nothing for me i figure a 500 wouldnt be much better. im 6'5 around 350. Now considering i weigh twice as much as a 600 was meant for. Would i tame a zx6r,r6, or gsxr600 down a bit? i know i would have to get springs for my weight. big guys, fat asses, and people that ride with passengers :lol speak up!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i think an cbr f2 or f3 would suit you

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm 6'6 and 230 and I ride an F4i comfortably. Will the weight tame the power? Yes, but not by a whole lot. It's still too much to learn on IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if your looking for something to start on and be comfterble on with out worring about your weight i would go with a honda cbr 600 rr. does rr,s push weight and some more.

·
Bring It!
935 Posts
I don't mean to poke fun and I mean no offense by this but I am picturing a 6'5" 350 dude on a 250----> :lol :eek:nfloor :lao OK, now that I've said that, I would go with an older 600. I do believe it's still alot to learn on but if you get something a little older I think you'd be OK. Once you get alot of experience and you're ready to upgrade I'd then think about a 'Busa or something similar. And make sure you get some gear to cover all 350lbs. You'll probably have to go out of your way to get it but do what you gotta do to get it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well thats what i thought doesnt hurt to ask. Ill probably go for a older mid 90's 600 :headbang the kawi's look the best in that era is the 98 zx-6r good or should i say old enough?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
or maybe a cruiser? your nearly as haevy as some of the bikes you asked about...........

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
I'm 6'-8" and weigh in around 285. My antique 850 twin moves my big arse around just fine, and it only puts about 45-50 hp to the rear wheel. I'd focus more on bikes with good adjustable suspension if I were you, but I doubt a 600 would be a slug with you on board.

·
Registered
886 Posts
At 350 I would be looking at a regular cruiser as a beginner bike and either move up to a VMax/VRod if you want to go the power cruiser route or a open class sportbike if you want a sportbike - after logging considerable miles of all sorts of riding on your first bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
being that size you may need to start with a liter (at least). the bike will have plenty of power to handle your mass (no disrespect). a 600 will feel very sluggish when getting on the throttle, and once you get some experience under your belt you'll be ready to get rid of it (i would say after about 6-10 months). as long as you take it slow & learn before you start testing the bikes power you'll be ok.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
HangTight said:
being that size you may need to start with a liter (at least). the bike will have plenty of power to handle your mass (no disrespect). a 600 will feel very sluggish when getting on the throttle, and once you get some experience under your belt you'll be ready to get rid of it (i would say after about 6-10 months). as long as you take it slow & learn before you start testing the bikes power you'll be ok.
YEAH, cuz you need 150hp to get moving......... :rolleyes

my ninja 250 did 110mph w/ my 230lb ass on there........all 40? hp..........

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
At 6'5" and 250, My F4i pulls just fine, However, at 350lbs, make sure you check your bike's rating...I believe my '04 F4i says at 378, I'm overloaded. Also check to make sure the tires will carry you...Tire failure at speed is NO FUN...been there, done that, have the rashed gear...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what kind of horsepower do i want for a older 600 the ones im looking at are between 105 and 108 HP thats 20HP less than the new ones, and they weigh 50 to 30 pounds more.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is the real deal from someone who knows. I am actually heavier then you are and my FZ6 (600cc) is more then enough bike for me. With work I am able to keep up with my friends who ride GSX750's and 636. I have seen the other side of 130 before I ran out of room and had to grab the brakes.

I have even out ridden most of my friends in the corners.

I was like you when I started I figured I needed a liter bike to pull me around, but that isn't true.

When you think about it there are cars out there that obviously weigh more then bikes that make less HP/TQ, so I think a 600 will be just fine. Now if you want a liter bike thats up to you, but it isn't a must have because of your size.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
HangTight said:
I disagree, a liter is too little. I suggest you start with a 2000cc. Of course the problem is there aren't any 2 liter sportbikes, so it looks like you won't be able to ride until they produce one.

(Just counteracting bad advice with more bad advice :eek:nfloor )

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
350 is just too big to enjoy anything even close to a sportbike. If you're motivated to ride a sportbike, get motivated to get in shape first.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I doubt the pre 2000 model 600's are putting out over 100 horses. They are most likelly pushing 90 horses and the newer 600's are really pushing 115 horses. Either one will move you with ease if you utilize the powerband. I started on an 00' ZX6r and it is also the new ZZR600. Go check out those bikes if you like. Mine is probably right at 100 horses but realize that horsepower doesn't really mean all that much. In the past few years all the 600's are within 10ths of a second of each other in most categories.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts