Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding motorcycles for a few years and I want my first sportbike. I've already test rode a 00' suzuki gsxr600 and I can handle them.

I am thinking about buying a 2002 GSX-R600 with 6,000 miles and a tid bit of rash on one side ("dropped while moving in garage") -nothing cracked. And the Rear Tire is almost worn out. front is fine. : He is asking for $4,500.
From Owner."not dealer".

How does the price sould? Should I bring him down to 4k or less? If I do buy his bike what should I look at before buying it to make sure there is no bad problems? Anything I should check while I test ride it?

Thank you for any replys. This would be my first bike I would be buying and ANY help is appreciated!! :)

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
ackgot said:
I've been riding motorcycles for a few years and I want my first sportbike. I've already test rode a 00' suzuki gsxr600 and I can handle them.
You think a ~5 mile test drive will tell you if you can handle a 600 or not? I'm telling you right now, as a new rider, you probably can't handle that 600. I say get a Suzuki GS500 or Ninja 500R, the Ninja is probably the best beginner sportbike out there. Take the MSF course, it will teach you skills that can save your life.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
he's not a new rider, just new to sportbikes.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
adamf2 said:
he's not a new rider, just new to sportbikes.
Well, when he says he's been riding, for all we know he could mean dirtbikes, and we all know just because you've been riding dirtbikes for 8 million years doesn't mean you can start on a SS. That's all I meant.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just do your research. There is a wealth of knowledge on this website that can help you decide what bike is best for you. Make sure you use the "search" option and do as much reading as you can prior to buying a bike. Hard to imagine but over the last few months on here I've learned a lot... from some.

Take care,

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I think the most constructive way of presenting your question would be to list the bikes you have owned thus far.

And a lot of people here will tell you that even experienced riders can enjoy the smaller bikes, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already taken the MSF course. And I am just wondering what the main things to look for on a bike pior to buying it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ackgot said:
I have already taken the MSF course. And I am just wondering what the main things to look for on a bike pior to buying it.
SMALL, USED, CHEAP, mechanicallly sound.....and BUY GEAR.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
so in short, you've ridden dirtbikes, and have taken the MSF, SV650 at most...preferably and ex500

btw, call your insurance agent before you buy anything.........he might tell you what kinda bike you can get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you guys think about a 600katana instead?
I kinda have the same question.I've ridden streetbikes years ago but mainly standards and criusers.Looking to get back into riding and want a sportbike now!! I got a love affair with gixxers but not for my first sportbike.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
<------FZ6.....go naked

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Katana is not excessively powerful but it is big and heavy. If you're a BIG guy then it's not a terrible idea. Otherwise the usual 250/500 recommendations apply.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Not going to comment on size, that's taz's and RACER X's job. I will however say get something that is cheap to fix :D. I am learning the hard way that SS's cost $ to fix. I was getting ready to rebuild the suspension on my truck, now I get to buy fairings :twofinger.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh christ.......he's looking at R1's in the for sale forum...... :fot <---- love that smilie!

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Bud Light salutes you Mr I want a SS for my first bike.You've ridden a dirtbike and test drove a 600 and you know you can handle it.

You know what it feels like to crack that throttle for a 100 feet and get you panties all moist.

You know what you thought when that chick looked at ya as you was testing that SS 600.You thought,,,,,,,,,,,Yea,I gotta get me one of these.

Well,when you're laying on the side of the road and you're all bloody and the fairings are thrashed........................................Bud Light will be there and we will salute you........Mr I want a 600ss for my first bike.

Just messen with ya dude.............Go to the new riders forume and read till you can't read anymore.

And do a search on crashes from yesterday.There was 5 SBN members that went down,6 if you count Steves wife,she was on back.............All new riders.

·
Registered
343 Posts
alaska cajun said:
Bud Light salutes you Mr I want a SS for my first bike.You've ridden a dirtbike and test drove a 600 and you know you can handle it.

You know what it feels like to crack that throttle for a 100 feet and get you panties all moist.

You know what you thought when that chick looked at ya as you was testing that SS 600.You thought,,,,,,,,,,,Yea,I gotta get me one of these.

Well,when you're laying on the side of the road and you're all bloody and the fairings are thrashed........................................Bud Light will be there and we will salute you........Mr I want a 600ss for my first bike.
LMAO:lol I love those comercials

1 - 18 of 18 Posts