Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't like areas that post signs saying "caution trucks: strong gusty wind area". Nope, nope, I don't like em one bit.

I had to get to the suicide hotline so I rode the freeway for the first time after doing three exits the other night. It was scary... and windy... and I kept feeling like I was gonna get blow into the next lane but felt real controlled and did well. I think knowing depressed people were counting on me to not die helped :lol

I felt the same thing coming home but it didn't get really bad until the man unit and I rode to the city, SF, early evening. The wind was so bad that I couldn't think, and it sounded like a freight train. I tried to keep myself tucked but then adjusting for the cross winds and turns were harder.

We got to the city and gosh dammit, who decided to put a string of stop signs at the tops of increasing hills?!?!?!?! "throttle... clutch... ooops I'm rolling, Hi van!" okay, "brake, clutch throttle..... ooops the engine died... Honey wait!!!!". I killed the engine a half dozen times trying to not roll backwards down a hill. Then finally got were we needed to go and realized the motorcycle parking space was neither wide nor slanted and I couldn't get the bike were it needed to go. I made a total fool of myself as the man had to park my bike for me. So much humiliation, so little time.

The way home was worse, it was late and the wind between SF and San Rafael was so strong that I was blown just over the line into the next lane. I started crying and removed myself from the freeway to sit in a parking lot and wait for my man to come figure out where I was and what happened. He was good to me, fed me snickers and machine cappuccino till I felt capable again, and rest of the ride was exhausting but went well.

200 miles total. I am alive... learned a lot... humiliated myself trying to park in the city, learned how to start from a stop uphill after killing the engine 7 times and I hate the wind.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, some of those hills in San Fran are no joke. I wouldn't want to have to stop on them. And the wind.. no thanks... to much fighting to do. Relax. If if make you feel better, I'm sure a few of us would have the same trouble. Sounds like I would have. :cheers

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Well congrats on your first dealings!!!
The wind isn't so bad once you get used to it....You made it home in one piece and that's a great thing!!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ha, ha! Please don't fool yourself into thinking that because you're a girl, or a newbie rider that others haven't wet themselves dealing with the buffetting winds of NorCal. I've nearly had to park it and walk a time or two, myself. And those SF hills... yeesh!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts